General Podcast Thread

Hobo

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

The Once &Future Nerd

Tell me about this.

Also, posting this here so I don't lose it.

Worm is a self-published web serial by John C. "Wildbow" McCrae that subverts common tropes of superhero fiction.

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

Just finished Ready Player One (Audible). Was better than I expected and I always wanted to know what was going to happen next, though it was kind of obvious how it would play out.

I just finished reading it about a week ago. Yeah, I'd agree. Better than I expected. Excited for the movie to come out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 21:09, =BK= said:

Tell me about this.

ok.. The Once and Future Nerd is actually quite fun. I've listened to the first "Book" (I don't know if it's an actual book but ehh) it's about 45 episodes of about 15-20 minutes each. I don't listen to Extras, Teasers, Previews or anything on any podcasts. so I couldn't tell you about them.
Three high school students somehow get transported to a medieval/Tolkien type world where they get caught up in a war. The story has a few branches which the narrator has done well to keep everything aligned. The production improves as it progresses. I think that's what turned me off on my first attempt at it but it grew on me as I got into the story.
Characters are well written as are the scripts. I recommend giving it a crack. I'll probably start book 2 on Monday and finish it throughout the week.

@GhostMachine The last episode of King Falls A.M. is by far the best episode they've done. Mostly due to the latter half with Sammy. I couldn't stop listening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

ok.. The Once and Future Nerd is actually quite fun. I've listened to the first "Book" (I don't know if it's an actual book but ehh) it's about 45 episodes of about 15-20 minutes each. I don't listen to Extras, Teasers, Previews or anything on any podcasts. so I couldn't tell you about them.
Three high school students somehow get transported to a medieval/Tolkien type world where they get caught up in a war. The story has a few branches which the narrator has done well to keep everything aligned. The production improves as it progresses. I think that's what turned me off on my first attempt at it but it grew on me as I got into the story.
Characters are well written as are the scripts. I recommend giving it a crack. I'll probably start book 2 on Monday and finish it throughout the week.

@GhostMachine The last episode of King Falls A.M. is by far the best episode they've done. Mostly due to the latter half with Sammy. I couldn't stop listening.

Surprisingly, I haven't listened to the new King Falls A.M. yet, because I've been too busy. (I do know they released the show on the 14th, and a follow up short on the 15th, though) I'm in the middle of a 2-part podcast on the Bell Witch, and haven't even had time to finish it. But I'll definitely listen to King Falls before I go back to that.

The Bell Witch 2-parter is from Astonishing Legends, this past October. The only paranormal podcasts I listen to are Astonishing Legends and Beyond The Darkness, though I've heard Lore is good.

• Like 1

Okay, listened to King Falls A.M., and that was another gut puncher for sure. I'm glad Sammy finally opened up to Ben. The short they released the next day was somewhat interesting.

Regarding the actual episode...

Frickard can't be dealt with soon enough. He's gone way over the deep end, and his threats involving his `good friends' the mayor and sheriff ring hollow, as he's the only one who has been breaking the law.

If Sammy has truly given up, then he's an idiot, and he doesn't really love Jack.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

Having all caught up on everything and not have many options of series currently in season I have compiled a new list of Audio Drama's to sift through.

4b86598389f9ec646384b43ccdaafecb.png

ARS Paradoxica
Rude Alchemy
Wolf 359
Scotch
The Hyacinth Disaster
Cyber
Liberty: Critical Research
The Message - Life/After
The Fall (Almost finished this in one sitting. A lot better than I had hoped)
Wasteland Radio -
The Katniss Chronicles (Yes. That Katniss)
Gearheart

I think this should keep me going for a while. I still have King Falls AM, Our Fair City and The Lift to mix things up when new episodes drop.

I've also added Worm to my app out of curiosity @=BK= Only 298 Episodes listed... Averaging 50 minutes each... I might save that for last :mellow:

• Like 1

The Message - Life/After are pretty good. I've had Wolf 359 on my ipod forever but never gave a single listen. I don't even remember the concept now.

Oh and I am loving Worm.

• Like 1

Omnibus, the podcast hosted by Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings and the musician John Roderick of the Long Winters, had a really interesting episode about 'London Bridge  is Down', which is the codename for what will happen after Queen Elizabeth dies, with regards to her funeral and such. It's a good listen.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 18:41, K said:

Omnibus, the podcast hosted by Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings and the musician John Roderick of the Long Winters, had a really interesting episode about 'London Bridge  is Down', which is the codename for what will happen after Queen Elizabeth dies, with regards to her funeral and such. It's a good listen.

Just gave it a listen, and really enjoyed it. Are their other podcasts as good as this one?

4 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Just gave it a listen, and really enjoyed it. Are their other podcasts as good as this one?

Yeah, they're really interesting. I'm really glad you liked it.

I'd recommend just going from the beginning, but if you'd like suggestions, my favorite ones were probably:

Megafauna (Why modern animals are smaller than their ancestors)
Death Discs (A trend in 1960's music to write songs about teenagers dying in accidents)
Paris Syndrome (Wherein people visit Paris on holiday and are so disappointed that they require hospitalisation)
Secret Order of the Double Sunrise (A secret 33 hour flight between Australia and Ceylon)
The Rachel (Rachel from FRIENDS haircut)
The European Starling (A guy decides that the US should be home to every bird mentioned in a shakespeare play, and he accidentally fucks the ecosystem)

• Like 2

I listened to the 1904 Olympic Marathon episode of Omnibus and I really liked it.

The Last Podcast On The Left just started a two-parter on the Casey Anthony case and I can't believe a couple of things about it;

1. Ten years ago now
  2. There are so many details that I didn't understand at all about the case

It really blows my mind that I lived through this as (mostly) an adult and I didn't hear or pay attention to the story of that case.

5 hours ago, K said:

Yeah, they're really interesting. I'm really glad you liked it.

I'd recommend just going from the beginning, but if you'd like suggestions, my favorite ones were probably:

Megafauna (Why modern animals are smaller than their ancestors)
Death Discs (A trend in 1960's music to write songs about teenagers dying in accidents)
Paris Syndrome (Wherein people visit Paris on holiday and are so disappointed that they require hospitalisation)
Secret Order of the Double Sunrise (A secret 33 hour flight between Australia and Ceylon)
The Rachel (Rachel from FRIENDS haircut)
The European Starling (A guy decides that the US should be home to every bird mentioned in a shakespeare play, and he accidentally fucks the ecosystem)

The European Starling was great. They are both very entertaining, especially with a subject I didn't think i would be interested in. Now I just gotta find time to listen to the rest.

19 minutes ago, Pooker said:

The European Starling was great. They are both very entertaining, especially with a subject I didn't think i would be interested in. Now I just gotta find time to listen to the rest.

Ah mate I'm really glad you like it. They're an interesting couple of guys.

Definitely keen to check out the Megafauna and European Starling episodes, sound right up my street. Roughly how long is each? I tend to get put off by any podcast that goes much longer than an hour.