General Podcast Thread

Hobo

• 1 year later...

I wish I were a funnier man that knew more people. The combo if the Roseanne return news and having just downloaded an episode of "Go Bayside" for my walk gave me a wonderful podcast idea.

TIL There's a podcast thread... Anyway. Finished listening to the first season of Bronzeville.
Set in post-WWII, Post Al Capone Chicago focused entirely on the Southside. It has an amazing cast and has a high production level.
It's made by the same people that made We're Alive. Episodes around 30-40 minutes each. Season 1 has 10 episodes.

• Like 1

Oh man I didn't know they made a new series. I thought they were just doing supplementary We're Alive stuff.

1 hour ago, =BK= said:

Oh man I didn't know they made a new series. I thought they were just doing supplementary We're Alive stuff.

I belive (hope) that's still coming. This is not zombie/apocalypse related at all. It's based on the black organised crime at the time.

Upon @Apsham 's recommendation in another thread, I binge listened LimeTown today. 6 episodes about 3 hrs listening with about 10 minutes of advertising for Twin Peaks coming back <.<
Seriously. 35 second advertisement 3 times every episode...
Definitely a good listen though. I like the narrative and where the story came from to where it ended up. I really hope there's a season 2 coming but it can easily be left off where it is, obviously leaving you with questions but still good.
Next up is probably Hadron's Gospel Hour. @GhostMachinehas recommended it and because it seeming has ended, I can listen through without waiting on episodes to come out.

I fucking hate what" Fat man on Batman" has become. Kev should have just started a new show and stopped FMOB instead.

• Like 1

Finished Hadron Gospel Hour. Such a good listen. Cyrus is by far my favourite character. Sci-Fi Comedy if that's the thing you're after.
Not sure what I'll move onto next. I have a few queued up ready to go. I'll look them over this weekend.

Finished Season one of Archive 81. Was confusing at first but the way the main character, Dan, brings you back to it being a story within a story helped.
I'll get through season 2 on Wednesday, I think.
There was also another episode of Byron Chronicles released over the weekend. Oh how I've missed the Pale Man's voice!

Cool. Like I said when you asked about audio dramas, King Falls AM takes a few episodes before it really gets going, but it is easily my favorite audio show, and its a mix of drama, sci-fi, horror, and comedy. The horror, not so much. Out of the 51 episodes, I'd say only 3 count as horror. And its a serial, not an anthology.

I binge listened to several episodes over 2 days when I first found out about it, and since then I try to get each new episode the day it comes out (usually the 1st and the 15th of each month) I've only missed getting one or two episodes the day they come out, and in both cases it was because I was way too busy in real life to have a chance to listen. In fact, I'm going to go grab episode 51 off iTunes (if its out yet. If not, it will be later today) as soon as I post this.

I can't recommend this show enough.

P.S. One of the writers/performers actually interacts with fans on reddit (the ONLY reason I have a reddit account), and there's apparently a Discord channel devoted to the show, as well.

I've just subscribed to a new podcast called 'Ear Hustle' that was advertised on the latest episode of the Bugle. They don't have any full episodes yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Here's the 'about'

Ear Hustle brings you stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it. The podcast is a partnership between Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams, currently incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison, and Nigel Poor, a Bay Area artist.

The team works in San Quentin’s media lab to produce stories that are sometimes difficult, often funny, and always honest, offering a nuanced view of people living within the American prison system.

Nigel (who is a woman btw) has been going to SQ for a while working on this, so I think they have a bunch of episodes ready to release, and the first one is due next week. It sounds really interesting, all the sound design is produced in the prison, the interviews are done in house, everything is done in SQ, and they have no internet inside. They'll take questions from listeners via postcard. 

Yeah, have a listen to the preview episode, see if it's your thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, K said:

I've just subscribed to a new podcast called 'Ear Hustle' that was advertised on the latest episode of the Bugle. They don't have any full episodes yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Here's the 'about'

Ear Hustle brings you stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it. The podcast is a partnership between Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams, currently incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison, and Nigel Poor, a Bay Area artist.

The team works in San Quentin’s media lab to produce stories that are sometimes difficult, often funny, and always honest, offering a nuanced view of people living within the American prison system.

Nigel (who is a woman btw) has been going to SQ for a while working on this, so I think they have a bunch of episodes ready to release, and the first one is due next week. It sounds really interesting, all the sound design is produced in the prison, the interviews are done in house, everything is done in SQ, and they have no internet inside. They'll take questions from listeners via postcard. 

Yeah, have a listen to the preview episode, see if it's your thing.

Sounds like a audio version of MSNBC's Lockup.

One of my favorite YouTube's recently tore down Night Vale and I love it because I can't stand Night Vale.

Quick aside, Y'all should look into that channel. He makes TV quality content covering Alternate Reality Games and all kinds of mysterious interactive fiction on the net.

• Like 1

15 episodes into Kings Fall AM. It's actually quite good. It's how I'd imagine Night Vale to be if it had several more characters.
I wonder if I'd be able to give Night Vale another shot after I'm done with this one.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

The creators of King Falls AM (who do the voices of Sammy and Officer Troy) have admitted that Night Vale was one of the inspirations for the show.

*edited to add* Jack In The Box Jesus, Rocky. I'm surprised you've listened to that many episodes already.

Edited by GhostMachine

51 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The creators of King Falls AM (who do the voices of Sammy and Officer Troy) have admitted that Night Vale was one of the inspirations for the show.

*edited to add* Jack In The Box Jesus, Rocky. I'm surprised you've listened to that many episodes already.

Episodes are about 15-20 minutes and I was driving for about 4 hours.  Om driving more tomorrow.  Will probably get caught up.

Jack in the Box Jesus was good ?

• 2 weeks later...