The Persona Franchise

gunnar hendershow

I'm excited for all of these, even The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold. Which is a fucking great name.

It bums me out that they are changing the name of that to just Persona 4 Arena Ultimax when it comes over here. The original name is just so bonkers and great.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Who wants to watch almost 20 minutes of new gameplay content?!

https://aww.moe/w0v2lc.mp4

Well, if you don't, here's a summary:

The new footage shows off daily activities in Persona 5, including fishing, training and hanging out with friends. Some new information:

• The game will have a crafting system to create new items, boosting the player’s stats.
  • Minigames and activities such as solving crossword puzzles or going to the theater will boost character stats such as knowledge.

It also features new battle footage, showing off the different “All-Out Attack” flourishes for the characters and conversation/negotiation with the enemies.

Persona 5 is slated to be released for the PS3 and PS4 in Japan on September 15, 2016, and in China on the same date for the PS4. It will have a February 14, 2017 North American release date, and the game has been announced for a European release.

Less than 2 months for Japan for us to hear how amazing it is (and to try and avoid spoilers). Only 7 months away for us!

14 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Does anybody know if is required to have played the other 4 games to understand the story? I have never played a Persona game before but heard a lot of good things about them.

No, each Persona game, barring the P2 duology and the fighting game spinoffs, is its own story. There might be slight references to previous games, but nothing that would force you to play through the previous games.

• Like 1

If you have access to a PS3 or PS Vita, I highly suggest playing Persona 4/ Persona 4:Golden.

Not because the stories will be connected, but because the games are amazing.

Seriously, the amount of style in these games is just breathtaking. 

I really liked Persona 4: Golden on the Vita, and this isn't the style of game I'd normally play. The dungeon-crawling and combat isn't fantastic, but I found the characters to be well realised enough to make me want to pursue the social links and side-stories. The localisation of the dialogue is also good enough to be perfectly comprehensible to a Western audience, but without losing the Japanese flavour that complements the setting and narrative.

3 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Does anybody know if is required to have played the other 4 games to understand the story? I have never played a Persona game before but heard a lot of good things about them.

Actually there's been five not counting remakes (Persona 2 was a duology in itself: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment) and I've played all but Innocent Sin and... no, you don't, but you really should play them anyway if possible because they fucking rule. In fact, it's possible 1 and 2 are in a different continuity altogether as the only reference to them in 3 and 4 are as an in-universe MMORPG.

1 and 2 are also notable for having a diplomacy mechanic. 2's gets notably insane as you can make friends with demons by doing things like interrogating them like a criminal, telling ghost stories, and asking the demon if he thinks who is hotter, the female lead or her best friend (leading to the classic line, "The goodness of a woman is not just in her bra!").

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...