The Persona Franchise (and Atlus in general I guess)

gunnar hendershow

I was still rocking Aharabaki (sp) at endgame. Reflecting physical attacks fuck yeah.

I loved it but holy fuck did the final battle take for-fucking-EVER. I think I took less time to beat the end boss of SMT:Nocturne.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-8 at 03:52, OctoberRavenO said:

I loved it but holy fuck did the final battle take for-fucking-EVER. I think I took less time to beat the end boss of SMT:Nocturne.

Really? Were you under leveled? Took me about 8 rounds.

Just in the final cut scene now. This game was wonderful. It's gonna be my favorite game of 2017.... hell, last couple of years.

9 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Really? Were you under leveled? Took me about 8 rounds.

I was... about 70 I think?

My main persona was Aharabaki because of reflect phys/gun, that might have had something to do with that.

I was probably underleveled by the end of Nocturne come to think about it.

15 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

I was... about 70 I think?

My main persona was Aharabaki because of reflect phys/gun, that might have had something to do with that.

I was probably underleveled by the end of Nocturne come to think about it.

Yeah....Aharabaki would be not good that late in the game. 

I was around 82 using Satan + charge + God Fist. About 1200 damage. 

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Yeah....Aharabaki would be not good that late in the game. 

I was around 82 using Satan + charge + God Fist. About 1200 damage. 

I used him because of the reflect, as well as Makarakaran (probably spelled that wrong, the magic reflect spell). I also had him leveled pretty high thanks to gallows and maxing Hermit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 04:41, Robsturgh said:

Finished the game over the weekend, I really don't think I like the last act of the game at all. 

Fantastic game otherwise though, may get round to a NG+ later in the year. 

I think P5 is my favorite game of the year by far but yeah, I'm kind of feeling conflicted about that last act.

Spoiler

The first twist of sorts with Akechi seems obvious but I also have no issue with it as honestly between the Metaverse fuckery the Thieves do and basically everything to the leadup of making it to Shido's Palace is entirely badass. And then it kind of stalls by being a dungeon that plays with its puzzle a bit too long before getting to the good stuff. Also, the less said about Akechi being given a redemptive arc, the better. I'm ok with the Thieves feeling empathetic, because it goes along with past Persona teams really really not wanting to kill, but it really isn't worthy of heroic treatment the actual narrative gives his pretty much death scene. The Shido fight was real cool and should've been the end. Like, connect Shido to Mementos and forgo the last bit or I guess make the end end game optional like in 4.

Igor twist was really good, though, and I did like fighting angels like I accidentally popped in Bayonetta 3. Still think it really stretched out a lot of the end, though, and I think it kind of shows some pacing issues the game had, even moreso than 4's stop/start dungeons.

But again, I'm picking at nits for a game I still felt was my favorite game since Doom '16 and turned me on to actually playing the rest of the series and being really excited to dig into everything. I already beat 4 and it's great! I'm going to play through 3! So don't take my thing as any real dislike, either.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Akechi was his own Shadow. By defeating him, they changed his heart.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just started this game (6 or 7 hours in, still on the first Palace)...and I realise I may have underestimated it somewhat.

I say this, having now TWICE played about half an hour through the same latter part of the Palace and then got suddenly blindsided by a random goon and killed...throwing me all the way back to the last Safe Room (which appear to be more spaced out than I thought they'd be). 

Touche, game. <_< I guess I'll take another day or two out in the real world to buy more items/equipment and try again.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got over the hump with this - all I needed to do is one day's extra grind session (i.e. running through the first half of the palace again), so that I headed on to the latter half of it at Lv 10 rather than Lv 7. Hooray! :D

(Also, finally nabbing a persona that could use ice attacks was crucial with some of the enemies on the roof.)

This is something that seems to happen to me in every new RPG... I start the game with the strange idea that I'm just going to breeze through it, only to at some point get a rude awakening and realise that grinding is still required. I'll never learn. :shifty: 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

An observation on this game, now that I've completed it... (spoilers)

"After School", Christmas Eve:

Spoiler

'Hey, you have time to trek down past the 66th level of a gigantic underground warren, fight your way through a prison made for all of humankind, experience the merging of two planes of existence, 'die', get reborn, reassemble your not-dead team, beat about six bosses, take down a literal God, shatter the cognitive world and reshape the desires of everyone on the planet...yeah?'

"After School", Every Other Day:

Spoiler

'Hey, wanna take a few swings with a baseball bat? OKAY, YOU'VE HAD FIVE- OFF TO BED WITH YOU.'

• Haha 2

• 2 years later...

Where did you get stuck?

I want to get P5R, because I know I'll love it, but I don't really have time for a 100+ hour RPG right now (between FF7 next week, FF14 ongoing)... especially when, from what I've heard, most of the extra content is locked in the extra 3rd semester and the new character doesn't really add much. 

And in Persona 5: Scramble (the Dynasty Warriors type game coming out), the new character isn't even there! 

I liked Persona 5, but I can't see myself playing Royal for a good while. It's a big time commitment, and with Final Fantasy VII Remake out soon, I'll be concentrating on that.

While I think Persona 5 had a better dungeon layout than its predecessor, I generally preferred 4's characters. I thought the focus on changing the hearts of people whose egos had got out of control worked better on paper than it did in reality, especially as the villains tended to be a lot more one-dimensional than the heroes.

Spoiler

I also really could have done without the teacher who moonlights as a sexy maid and the scene in which the boys are chased by homosexuals on the beach. Then again, 4 was far from perfect in its sensitivities.