Formula One 2014

Lineker

There's a long piece on the Dutch BBC now, where Jos indeed plays it down, and that they're still negotiating.

He said the chances are looking good because he's a real prospect, apparently won more races last year in Kart than anybody else in the history of the sport, so, we'll see I guess.

EDIT: I'm aware he might not start, but I'm still rather excited about a real talented Dutch driver, the first since his dad really, exciting times ahead.

Hah, Albers. The most notable thing he did was almost get killed by Yuji Ide, and drive away with a fuel hose once.

But anyways. Despite the dutch motorsport media jizzing themselves over the fact Max Verstappen has signed a junior contract with Red Bull. I sincerely doubt he will be starting in the F1 any time soon.

Like MJB said, he's still 16 and this is his first year outside of Karts.

If anything, Red Bull will give him a drive in GP3 or FR2.0 next year to see how he develops.

If he's ever gonna drive in F1, it will be in his early 20's at the earliest.

This is just absolutely insane to think about.

Red Bull must see a whole lot of not-Jos in him to give him this shot this early in his career... His second season in one-seater will be in the F1, it's just... ridiculous.

As a racing fan i'm unsure, because damn he's 2 years younger than the youngest F1 guy ever. As a dutchman, I'm happy and excited to see a dutchman on the grid again.

And here's to hoping he gets a few test drives in the coming half-season, because I don't want to see the guy get into the F1 car cold turkey and then flying all over the place, it would break my heart...

Also, when he debuts, he can't legally smoke, drink, drive, pay his own taxes, or any adult stuff... And he's driving in the Formula 1!

What happens if he wins? Can't bring out the champagne.

EDIT: His first F1 drive will be end of this month in Rotterdam at the yearly City Racing event. Also present: Raikkonen in his Ferrari.

• Admin

1408532811.jpg

Three-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Andre Lotterer will make his Formula 1 racing debut with Caterham at the Belgian Grand Prix, as predicted by AUTOSPORT, replacing Kamui Kobayashi.
The 32-year-old German is best known as a leading member of Audi's factory LMP1 line-up in the World Endurance Championship, but also has current single-seater experience as a frontrunner in Japan's Super Formula series.
His last F1 outings came when he was a Jaguar test driver in 2002, having raced for the team's junior arm in Formula 3.
"I am delighted to be given the opportunity to take part in a Formula 1 race weekend - I want to thank Caterham F1 team for this chance," said Lotterer.
"I'm ready for this challenge and I cannot wait to jump in the car and make the most out of the weekend ahead.
"I will need to get settled and used to the car quickly, as the team has worked on a number of updates and we will need to have as much time as possible out on track to optimise the car's performance.
"I really enjoy racing at the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps, it's one of my favourite tracks and it's very close to where I grew up, so this makes the weekend even more special and one to remember."
Rumours that Kobayashi's place in the Caterham line-up were in jeopardy began shortly after founder Tony Fernandes sold the team to a group of investors advised by Colin Kolles.
Caterham said the Japanese driver still remains part of the team.
Former Toyota and Sauber driver Kobayashi had chosen to return to F1 with Caterham this year despite having an offer to continue as a factory Ferrari GT driver, following his WEC season with the Italian marque in 2013.

Jos Verstappen was actually a very quick driver, the first time he got in to an F1 car with Beneton in 1993, within ten laps he was lapping a the pace of Michael Schumacher's team mate for that season from Quali just days before, that team mate was Martin Brundle

According to Max's Twitter he voluntarily gave up his seat for the better of the team.

Basically, Gene Haas just tossed a fuckload of cash towards Marussia to give Alex Rossi race experience till 2016.

A bit sad, Max was terrible as a driver, but he's a likeable chap.

Lotterer on the other hand, if he wasn't driving a Caterham he would be a guy I would peg for point finishes every race... Sure, LMP and FN aren't really a comparison. But Le Mans winners tend to do good in F1 and vice versa. Just look at Webber, his car-flying skills translated very well to F1 and back to WEC.