Formula One 2014

Lineker

• Admin
Ferrari has announced that it will be the engine supplier for Gene Haas' new American Formula 1 team when it joins the world championship field in 2016.
The Italian firm has long been considered favourite for the Haas deal. A commercial tie-up between Ferrari and the Haas Automation business was announced in July, and Haas was hosted by Ferrari for most of his visit to the F1 paddock at the Canadian Grand Prix.
The multi-year deal was confirmed by Ferrari chief Marco Mattiacci on the eve of the company's home race in Italy this weekend.

• Admin
Jean Todt, president of international motorsport governing body the FIA, has reportedly expressed concerns over the controversial Russian Grand Prix. The Telegraph reports that Todt is privately uncomfortable about holding a race in Russia following the violence in Crimea, while his close ally and colleague Ari Vatanen has publicly told Bernie Ecclestone and the F1 team owners to scrap the race over 'unprecedented' actions of Vladimir Putin.
---
Renault has given the green light for a major overhaul of its relationship with Red Bull in a bid to help them both get back on top in Formula 1.
On the back of a disappointing 2014 campaign, where the French car manufacturer has struggled against the might of Mercedes, a totally fresh approach to its F1 operation has been agreed with Red Bull.
Renault will give Red Bull its full works focus, while the Milton Keynes-based team has agreed to devote staff and resources at its own base to help bolster areas of technology where Renault needs to improve.
Renault Sport F1's new managing director Cyril Abiteboul, who was drafted in two months ago after leaving Caterham, says a new way of thinking was needed for 2015.
"We have to be much more pragmatic because we are changing the way we are conducting operations and, in truth, we made our life extremely difficult," he told AUTOSPORT.
"Our starting point was not great. We were not integrated and not in the right part of the world to operate all of that.
"So if in addition to those difficulties we add up the complexity of leading not one project but four projects for each of our four customers, we end up in the situation we have ended up in.
"We will have a works team. We'll have to work and integrate properly with the works team, and the rest will have to follow. I'm sorry but that's the facts of life.
"We are trying to do it in the way that is doable for teams like Toro Rosso and Caterham but our focus and target is to go back to a winning championship position with Red Bull Racing. Full stop."
Red Bull has already begun recruiting engine staff to help lead a new division that will offer support to Renault's own engineers at Viry-Chatillon.
Team principal Christian Horner believed that Red Bull could offer expertise in areas that would boost Renault's performance.
"We are looking to bolster areas that we have strength and Renault have weaknesses in," he told AUTOSPORT.
"We are looking to the areas of strength that we have: whether it be simulation, or modelling. It'll be working hand-in-hand with Renault rather than independently of Renault."

I can be sure that Lotus is no doubt very much pissed off at that news. Because that means they're completely shafted in terms of getting competitive Lotus engines.

I like that though, maybe in all the upheaval we'll see more teams jump ship to different manufacturers, especially now that Honda is working with McLaren.

And I Like Todt, I agree with his sentiments, but everyone knows Bernie isn't ever gonna say no to all that Putin monies he's gonna get.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Lotus are all but confirmed to be running with Mercedes engines in 2015.

Good on Lotus, but in no way Mercedes is gonna be giving them a better engine deal than Renault has tbh. If you look at McLaren, they have vocally made it clear they're going to work with Honda because of the fact Mercedes is working all on their factory team (for good reason) and McLaren got the 2nd rate equipment. I see Lotus getting the same deal, because I don't see Mercedes making it harder on themselves by giving their own factory guys competition.

Webber was brilliant today. Said that Red Bull must have given Vettel "his car" this year and completely dismissing the Rosberg-Hamilton stuff based on the (completely accurate) fact that you can deliberately try and puncture someone else's tyre as they were trying to claim.

• Like 1

• Admin

Good race. But loads of news off track.

- Sauber are to be bought by a Canadian fashion tycoon Lawrence Stroll.

- Christijan Albers has quit Caterham already because promised funds from the new owners did not materialise. I can't see them being on the grid in 2015.

- The provisional 2015 calendar has been released. Australia will start the season but no longer be a back-to-back with Malaysia, who instead attach to Bahrain. Mexico is the late October race, slotting in between Russia and USA.

Oh, and there was also this EXTREMELY worrying tweet posted by ex-Williams Adam Parr:

I really enjoyed the race yesterday, especially the drives by Ricciardo, Perez and Kvyat. At the front, it was a really good recovery by Lewis although I was extremely surprised to see Massa give him so much room at the first chicane. I guess Felipe knew he had third place all sewn up and there was no point fighting with Lewis and losing them both time. Nico looked second best all weekend but I'm sure he'll be closer to Hamilton in Singapore.

• Admin
Michael Schumacher has returned home to continue his rehabilitation process after suffering head injuries in a skiing accident last December.
Schumacher was treated in a hospital in Grenoble in the months following the accident, prior to being moved in June.
Most recently, he was treated at the University Hospital of Lausanne in Switzerland, prior to returning to his home near Lake Geneva.
No further details have been issued regarding his condition, although a statement issued by his management did say that he has been making progress.
"Henceforth, Michael's rehabilitation will take place at his home," said the statement.
"Considering the severe injuries he suffered, progress has been made in the past weeks and months.
"There is still, however, a long and difficult road ahead.
"We would like extend our gratitude to the entire team at CHUV Lausanne for their thorough and competent work.
"We ask that the privacy of Michael's family continue to be respected, and that speculations about his state of health are avoided."
The previous statement concerning his condition, released in June, confirmed that Schumacher was no longer in a coma.

The FIA confirmed on Thursday that Formula 1 teams are now banned from all forms of radio transmission that help with car or driver performance, as revealed by AUTOSPORT.

Following discussions at last week's F1 Strategy Group meeting, the FIA was asked to look into ways of limiting radio discussions as part of a push to make drivers work harder.

F1 race director Charlie Whiting has now written to teams to make it clear that there will be a dramatic cut in what teams are allowed to say from now on.

In a technical directive that was sent to F1 teams on Wednesday night, he said that no conversations will be allowed that assist a driver with his speed.

This means, for example, advice from the pitwall on where laptime is being lost and where a team-mate is doing better, such as has been common at Mercedes, will now be illegal.

The change is being implemented through a strict enforcement of Article 20.1 of F1's sporting regulations which states: "The driver must drive the car alone and unaided."

The message issued to the teams read: "In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 20.1 of the F1 sporting regulations are respected at all times FIA intends to rigorously enforce this regulation with immediate effect.

"Therefore, no radio conversation from pit to driver may include any information that is related to the performance of the car or driver."

"FIA should also remind you that data transmission from pit to car is specifically prohibited by Article 8.5.2 of the F1 technical regulations."

The enforcement of the article still leaves the way open for teams to advise drivers on pitstop strategies, plus safety issues.

It will also ensure that the dramatic radio conversations from drivers, which have proved popular with fans, remain.

This is going to be chaos.

• Like 1