Formula One 2014

Lineker

So Bernie has now come out and said he's behind the "top teams with 3 cars" thing again. It sounds like he's trying to push Sauber, Marussia and Caterham out too, which is concerning. Particularly for Sauber at least, since I'd hate to see them go.

But the other thing is...can the other eight teams all afford to run 3 cars? I mean, I wouldn't be against it at all - I think it'd be massively cool in a way - but I can't see how Lotus, Toro Rosso and maybe even Williams/Force India could do it. So does that mean three cars for Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari only?

EDIT: Plus it'd be interesting to see who went where if those teams all ran another car. Ferrari would almost certainly bring Bianchi in, but the other three would be confusing. Red Bull would have to either promote Kvyat or maybe bring Buemi back (or hire from outside the team for once), Mercedes might go for the new test driver and McLaren...maybe a Japanese driver to appease Honda? Or, if they *do* get Alonso, then keep Button + Magnussen?

Rosberg and Hamilton can't get along in a 2-man team. How would it be better if there was a third guy they have to work with?

No one is saying 2 man teams are the law and needs to stay forever. But with the way driver ego's are, a third driver in a team would be absolutely terrifying to keep them all from killing each other.

Marussia and Caterham might not be exciting, and Sauber neither this year. But they serve a purpose in giving kids a place to learn F1 without having to worry about actually competing with the big boys... Put a guy like Bianchi in a third Ferrari seat, and he would get swallowed alive by the pressure put on him. Or throw a Gutierrez in a Mercedes, and see how he never gets any shout in because Rosberg and Hamilton are both bonafide stars who can barely keep themselves from eliminating each other every race.

I like how they tried to convince everyone that Hamilton would have to fight his way to the front through the Red Bull's and Alonso and in reality it was a cakewalk.

Shame for Nico. Amazing drive by Vergne at the end there though, it'll be a shame if he doesn't get picked up by someone.

• Like 1

I let out a huge cheer when Vettel took Hamilton's place... Then I realised that Hamilton had fresh tyres.

Yup...

And that drive by Vergne at the end was ridiculous, suddenly he was on a whole different level. 5 second penalty, in the middle of non-points area and he goes ''fuck it'' and has the drive of a lifetime getting 6th point even with the 5 seconds added on.

But it mostly made me wonder where that Vergne was in the past 13 races. Because if he drove like that, he would've still had a seat for 2015... But if he keeps driving like that, I can see him get picked up by Sauber or maybe Force India if the story of Button getting axed is true, because I can see Hulkenberg get a McLaren drive if that happened.

Edited by Jasonmufc

It wasn't really anything *that* special by JEV, he just dived down in all the right places at the right time. He just had the best tyres out of that group - Perez managed to wrestle his way through too a lap later on the same tyres and was pulling away, Bottas was just holding them all up horribly.