The 2014 music thread

METALMAN

New Linkin Park album is available to listen in full on iTunes ahead of its release next week.

I don't care what the consensus is on both it and the band, I like it :shifty:

I've not been too impressed with the three songs I've heard from it. Guilty All The Same is all right, but Chester Bennington's vocals are too weak to continue this 'no vocal doubling' kick he's been on since Rick Rubin got his filthy mitts on the band.

For the record, Living Things is a good album. I'm hoping the rest lives to at least that standard.

I thought Living Things was disappointing. Been a while since I've listened to it though, may give it a relisten.

Keys to the Kingdom sounds great, and is the opening track on the album. They have five songs up on their YouTube channel, and as I said, full thing is available to listen in a block on iTunes.

Relistening to Living Things has had me change my opinion, it's not as bad as I first thought. Still my least favourite. If I had to rank them, it'd be something like:

Hybrid Theory > A Thousand Suns > The Hunting Party > Meteora > Minutes to Midnight > Living Things

Wow, that was harder to rank than I thought, and I'll probably change it plenty of times as I re-ponder it.

Can anyone make out the lyrics on this song? I had a cassette copy as a teen and never knew the lyrics to it....and Google comes up with nothing...

Apparently, out of nowhere, Gaslight Anthem have announced a new album, and it's out in August.

http://www.thegaslightanthem.com/

I didn't really know they were recording seriously at the moment. The album art is a bit boring. I like the riff on the teaser video, though it doesn't sound Gaslight Anthem-y.

Looks like between this and Royal Blood, there'll be 2 albums on my wanted list for August.

Lana Del Rey has a new album out? Didn't promote that one well, did they? And funnily it's produced by the guy from Black Keys, whose new album also wasn't promoted that well.

That, or I'm becoming ignorant to new releases.

It's definitely the latter because both were/are talked about quite a bit. Edited by livid

Yeah, it's definitely a case of you not paying attention I guess :P But, hell, I only knew about the album because Pitchfork is my homepage and they pimp her to death now (more than they used to).

Pitchfork: PREORDER THE NEW LANA ALBUM AND GET AN EXCLUSIVE COVER! IT'S HER KNEE!

Lana Del Ray is terribly over-hyped, over-commercialized and her music is as interesting as watching paint dry. Dan Auerbach is just great at ruining albums; first Dr. John then Bombino and now he has aligned himself with before-mentioned plastic pop-singer, who is basically the "indie pop"-version of Justin Bieber. I mean, is there even anything TO like?

Yeah my "defense" was more for Auerbach than Del Ray. Auerbach is solid.

And even if you don't like what he did with Dr. John or Bombino, there is something to be said about using his position in the industry to introduce those artists to a larger audience. Unless of course you're a hipster who doesn't want anybody to know about your favorite musician. <_<

It definitely had his fingerprints all over it and if you don't like that sound, you're not going to like it applied to Dr. John. I liked it but it was all a bit "Dr John fronting the Black Keys with trumpets". As far as Dr. John musical collaborations go, it was absolutely nowhere near as good as his album with The Meters.

• Like 1