MLB 2014 Thread

The Buscher

This season is really interesting, gonna be a great playoff push in September. Shocked that KC and LA overtook their divisions, but not with how they've been playing obviously. Jays have just tanked. Seattle is playing great baseball. Miami is actually closer to the playoffs then Cincy (who have been decimated with injuries.)

Really liking the mlb.tv package I got in late May or whenever, been betting a lot daily as well.

Heading into the city to see the Jays take on Boston next week.

It's not over yet in the East but I feel very, very good about the Orioles chances right now. They have to blow a lot of games on their end to let Toronto or New York catch up. It's not impossible, especially with September schedules and of course call-ups.

But they're both closer to last place right now than first.

Our season is over, because our bullpen sucks big ol' floppy dong.

We get good starts out of Brandon McCarthy and Chris Capuano (FUCKING CHRIS CAPUANO IN 2014!) and our bullpen just drops their drawers and bends over.

It's a shame the injury bug slapped everybody the way they did. I still think we've got the best team in the East.

Manny Machado is going to have season-ending knee surgery. He hasn't been completely effective since coming back from injury in May but he had improved dramatically after the ASG. It's all on Chris Davis' shoulders to come back from wherever he's been and replace the imposter in the O's lineup.

They won't. Free agent markets are getting increasingly worse over time as more and more teams recognize the importance of locking up their young players. The few difference makers in free agency this year will be well out of the Mets' price range because the Wilpons have no money. The Granderson signing last year figures to be their last big signing for a while, especially as it's been a complete trainwreck. I knew Curtis wouldn't hit for a high average anymore, but I was thinking around .230 or so. .214 is simply not good enough especially considering Collins insists on batting him 1st or 2nd despite his comically low OBP, nevermind it completely negates the reason he was brought in in the first place.

The best way for the Mets to acquire an impact bat is to trade from their excess of young pitching, but Alderson has pretty much already said he has no desire to trade away anybody. The Mets can't take on anybody with a high salary as is. So that leaves them trying to get young hitters still under team control, and it's way more expensive. If the Mets tried to ask the Cubs for one of their young hitters, the Cubs would ask for the Moon and rightly so as the Mets have zero leverage. Unproven guys like Syndergaard and Montero aren't getting you Starlin Castro. The conversation would begin with Zack Wheeler who has shown he can pitch at the big league level. Alderson isn't going to do that.

So basically they're screwed until their young hitters make it through the system and produce at the big league level. Lucas Duda has finally come around and Travis d'Arnaud has been great since coming back from his demotion, but it's been counterracted by Granderson being terrible, David Wright beginning a sharp decline, and Daniel Murphy is leaving as a free agent next year and the Mets are too cheap to lock him up. Pitching can and will get you through the playoff,s but you can't get there in the first place with no offense especially playing 81 games a year at massive Citi Field.

Bottom Line: I have zero hope for the Mets until they get new owners who actually have money to spend. Selig was tight with the Wilpons so nothing ever happened, but if Manfred ever booted the Wilpons out like Selig did with the McCourts, I would jump for joy. Shame it's highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Loving the way the Jays are playing, hoping they can at least make it interesting in this last month. The extra wildcard spot has been wonderful since it's inclusion. Wondering if the Royals will hold on to win the Central as well. Been a crazy season.