3 hours ago, TMM said:

I'm curious about how people play season 3 of Walking Dead. Do you role play or do you play it "as a game"? Like for example would you always agree with Clem as Javi because of season 1/2 or do you try and see how Javi would see it and go from there?

I had a hard time thinking like Javi would in the first episode or so but I am in his mindset now. If there is something I am iffy on though I always go for the side that would help Clem

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The finale of TWD:ANF will drop May 30th.

On 25/04/2017 at 23:55, TMM said:

I'm curious about how people play season 3 of Walking Dead. Do you role play or do you play it "as a game"? Like for example would you always agree with Clem as Javi because of season 1/2 or do you try and see how Javi would see it and go from there?

I play how I think the characters would play. I tend to err on the side of trusting Clem like Srar does, as I think Javi would see an older, lonelier Mariana in her.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Solid ending to TWD: ANF. Spoilers for the ending ahoy:

My ending resulted in saving Gabe, I think I've managed to redeem David a little (or he'll be working on it), losing Kate (who I did not get romantic with, as Javi seemed like the kind of guy who would respect that boundary with his family, despite his own feelings), and my Clem wound up as a "Graceful Gunslinger".

I really liked that this seems to be a self-contained story that will probably have consequences for Clem down the line, so they could do a story with actual consequences for your journey, but keep things relatively safe for future installments.

Overall, a good addition to the series. I really liked the characters presented (though I could have done with more sympathetic characters in Richmond, as I didn't really feel any link there to tear me between retrieving Gabe and helping Kate). My Clem is turning into exactly who I think my version of Lee hoped she'd be, which is lovely.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally played the Batman TellTale game (my first Telltale Game) and I'm a bit disappointed:

Spoiler

The story as a whole is a confused mess. It seems like they tried very hard to do new things but a lot of the time they still recycled a lot of old tropes and story elements from old movies, games and comics. Like the Vicki Vale/Lady Arkham plot seems to be a rehash of both the League Of Shadows's plot of Batman Begins (poisoning the city with a nerve agent) and Talia's scheme from The Dark Knight Rises (causing a revolution).

Some plot threads feel too rushed like Harvey Dent's sudden descent into madness or how and why he becomes a dictator and why nobody from outside the city is stopping him.  Then there are plot threads only to be suddenly dropped. I still don't quite understand how Bruce regained control of Wayne Enterprises after he broke into the place to stop the Penguin hacking into his computer system. Why would the police listen to him now? And why would Wayne Enterprises, who were apparently so hellbent on ousting him earlier, reinstate him now? What changed? One second he is a disgrace to all of Gotham and people want to lynch him and in the next he is CEO again.

And how the hell did someone like Oscar Cobblepot, who apparently is a quite well-known criminal in Europe, manage to get hired as the Bruce's replacement anyway? We later find out that he falsified his public records in order to get the job but are you really telling me that there isn't one person in Wayne Enterprises or the whole of Gotham who had heard of the Penguin? You'd think that there would be someone who travelled to Europe or immigrated from Europe to Gotham who has heard of him. Hell, a quick Google search would probably be enough to identify him.

Then there is the needles cameo of the Joker. Much like with his appearance in Suicide Squad there is no point in him being there. His role could have been taken over by any other villain and it wouldn't have made a difference. Why not save him up for a proper reveal in a future season? Was his cameo here really needed? And did we really have to end this season with the Joker as well? I'm sick and tired of seing the Joker pop up in every Batman story simply because he is the most well-known bad guy and the writers seem obliged to put him in simply as fan service.

And this whole Thomas Wayne really was a ruthless gangster thing. Yeah, I call bullshit on that. Do they really want me to believe that all these ill-defined crimes that Thomas Wayne committed went completely unnoticed by absolutely anybody other than the people directly involved and that he managed to keep up his "savior of Gotham" image all the time? And do they really want me to believe that Alfred didn't tell Bruce about it?  Horseshit. And what exactly did Thomas Wayne actually do? It would've been interesting to dive into all of his crimes and explore what impact they have on Gotham as a whole. But other than that he stole some land and had some people committed we barley learn anything about it. The only positive thing I could say about this is least they did something original. But that also doesn't seem to be true since I've heard that something like this has been done in the comics recently as well.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The Wolf Among Us Season 2 has been announced, even though Telltale claimed a few days ago that it wouldn't come out. It's set to be a standalone story, rather than a sequel.

BOOOOO. I really wanted closure :(

Also new Batman and TWD as if they weren't already expected.

New Batman should be good. TWD being a final season is probably a good idea with how much ill will they've gained with Season 3 and they probably won't get much good will back despite the fact that (they'd be stupid not to do this) Clem will almost certainly be the main character again.

Personally I loved season 3 and I haven't seen any backlash against it. I mean, I haven't been looking but all the feedback I saw about it was positive. Obviously it isn't a patch on season 1 but for me that is one of the most perfect games ever so not much is.

I haven't played the Season 3 yet. I can't say I've heard much about it, be it positive or negative, but the lack of buzz makes me think that it's probably another formulaic run of episodes. Season 1 was great, but I thought Season 2 epitomised Telltale's predictable "All your choices matter, but really they don't" mechanic. If there's ever a choice of saving someone or letting them die, you know it's rather pointless because they'll end up dying anyway.

I know money talks and The Walking Dead is a lucrative franchise right now, but I'd have been happiest if Season 1 had been the only game in the series. It was a great self-contained story that, in my opinion, didn't need a sequel. Given that the story exists within the parameters of a story written by someone else, we know that Telltale won't provide a solid "ending" in which either everyone dies or someone finds a cure, so keeping things going doesn't hold much creative value for me.

I have seen someone play through the first three episodes of Season 3, and it's been damn good as a whole. Putting the camera (so to speak) on Javi was a good move on their part, and allowed them to further explore a new group of people whilst still having Clem in there being a pint sized badass herself.

I'd say the biggest mistake they made thus far (I can't account for E4&5) is that there's just a lack of history set up. There's lots of dramangst between Javi and his family, but the explanations as to why hasn't moved far beyond the surface other than two or so scenes set in the past.
Not elaborating on the past worked good for Lee, because it was all about Lee using his 'second chance' to survive in a zombified world. But Javi's situation is more elaborate than that, so that's a bit of a shame.

But still, it's been a good series and the lack of hype has helped temper expectations. Across the board hype for TellTale games has dropped significantly in the past year or two, mostly due to the bugs in their ancient engine and their staunch refusal to build a more modern game engine. (Removing thick lines doesn't count, although it does look crisper.)

21 hours ago, Kaney said:

I haven't gotten round to playing past season 2 of TWD, can you tell me why season 3 has gotten ill will without any spoilers?

Because Clem wasn't the main focus, as well as the usual "illusion of choice" criticism. There was also the fact that it was an especially buggy release that IIRC failed to meet some advertised release dates too.

Mind you, I liked it, I've just heard a lot of criticism towards it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else played the first episode of Batman Season Two yet? First time I've ever pre-ordered a Telltale Game and that first episode was amazing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2017 at 01:26, Kaney said:

I haven't gotten round to playing past season 2 of TWD, can you tell me why season 3 has gotten ill will without any spoilers?

I stopped playing when I had to kill the dog >:( 

• Sad 1

I've only just recently finished the first two Walking Dead seasons. I was more upset about the dog than Duck.
I can't run season 3 on my laptop due to potato but I got passed the initial Direct x issue which was nice. I might skip it for now and move to Michonne, see how that goes.

I've installed all the Telltale games to play through so I think after TWD I might do BTTF or Jurassic Park then go from there.