I've read that the decisions in Game of Thrones are actually rather inconsequential when compared with most of TellTale's other recent games. There's always a point at which it all manages to railroad itself back to a particular narrative point in all the games, but Game of Thrones seems to offer a few alternative lines of dialogue and not much else as of right now.

• 3 weeks later...

So after Episode 1 of Tales of the Borderlands, I hadn't been back to it due to losing my save file, and not feeling like playing through EP1 just to play Ep2 afterwards.

But with Episode 3 out, I really felt compelled at playing through it all again... And wow, just... the quality of writing went up so much in episode 2 and 3, the stakes became higher, but the humour stayed just as strong. Loader Bot is amazing, and the way the group are finally connecting with each other is nice. There were a few real gutwrenchers in there, whilst also having some legitimately laugh out loud moments a few minutes earlier, or ten minutes after. The pacing is brilliantly done, and it gives such a great emotional load for when the tough moments happen because I personally have connected so much with the entire gang, especially the god-damned robot of the group.

Especially the way Episode 3 really went the distance in building strong relations between characters, and actually develop them in many ways has put this game on the top of my ever-growing TellTale love list.

Sure, the graphics are still crappy, and I had some atrocious framerate hiccups whilst playing on a monster rig that can handle Witcher 3 with ease. But the story is simply top notch in every way, probably in terms of building up chemistry between a cast it's the best game TellTale has released.

Wolf Among Us was brilliant because it was dark, gritty, and suspenseful. Game of Thrones is brilliant because it gives the same GoT kind of drama. Walking Dead turned me into a sobbing mess at the end of season 1... But Tales from the Borderlands has managed to make laugh loudly, warm my heart, and also dread for the characters...

Rhys is an amazing buttmonkey in every episode, and I love him for the bumbling rogue with a heart of gold... I love Fiona growing into her role as ''leader'', Of course there's Sasha and her crazy ex, Vazquez with his doucheness... Loader Bot with his endless one-liners, and the list goes on... And how can I forget about Handsome Jack, there's no idea where that story is going to go and it's extremely suspenseful because it'll be something huge.

The only one that has been left by the wayside is Vaughn, but even then what happens in Episode 3 has made me laugh hugely multiple times.

Also the transition between Ep2 and 3 has given probably the biggest ''your decision matters'' moment of the entire TellTale franchise, because apparently the choice you make at the end of 2 will change a big part of plot in episode 3.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but really... Tales from the Borderlands is amazing, truly amazing. I didn't know if I could like a TellTale game more than I liked Wolf and TWDS1, but they managed to win me over with two episodes left.

Loader Bot

He'll still be around, at the start of the game they say you get two loader bots to use, so if you let it die in EP1 you'll get his other unit... Load Bot will be a lot more cynical and much less friendly with you though, because well... you kinda betrayed his trust.

Other EP3 spoilers

Played from Fiona's option after EP2

- Jeez, poor Vaughn getting paralyzed. Probably the most hilarious injury i've seen in a game, the way everyone just acts completely aloof about it and simply go on with their lives as he's horribly disfigured and can't speak, basically using him as a coat rack.

- Bye Vazquez, you were really a giant douchenozzle and I won't miss you in so many ways. Chose him as the ''blame'', and he got a shotgun to the chest for it. Really felt that his story was running out, and August would be better off in the story right now as a whole, you know with the whole crazy-ex thing.

- Handsome Jack really really gives me the creeps in so many ways. I've decided on a tentative alliance with the madman, but I simply don't trust him and I fully expect him to stab me in the back completely either episode four or five.

- I really like that they're growing Fiona into a Vault Hunter and all her struggles to accept that she might become a great hunter. I really liked that it's not about being able to shoot massive guns and soak huge damage, but also being able to be smart and quick on your feet.

- I'm not a big fan of them throwing away the bullet angle and having to save every bullet, now that Athena gave Fi a box of bullets to simply spray away at her enemies, kinda ruins the whole choice of having to use a bullet or not.

- Oh goddammit TellTale for twisting with my heart like that. Doing the whole epic ''I'll let go, I wont let you go" dramatic moment, and then Sasha letting go and falling half a yard to the ground. You got me stressing massively, then making me laugh pretty hard at the cop out.

- Also, I am going with the awkward budding romance between Rhys and Sasha, and well... It's pretty god-damn adorable in so many ways, none of that ''sweeping of her feet'' stuff, and just a guy bumbling about like a fool.

- Brick, Mordecai! ... Why are you doing this, I thought you were the good guys!

- Also, oh my god. Gortys is amazing, like an adorable innocent little robot who has no idea about grown-people stuff. The part where he was trying to pull along a dead Vazquez had me in stitches.

- "Nice Hams!" - Loader Bot 2016

- Loader bot giving Rhys a condescending pat on the head...

- "He's going through some issues" - LB on the roof whilst Rhys is talking to himself/Jack on the roof of the Caravan.

- Basically everything that Loader Bot does, really.

Probably a lot more moments, this game is full of great moments all around. Like I said, it's the first TellTale game that can make me laugh just as much as wrench my gut, in the same episode.

Episode 3

What do you mean playing from Fiona' s option? I don't remember how episode 2 ended

You had two options.

1: Trust Handsome Jack and let him use Rhys' implants to stop the robots... But well, it's Jack you're giving the wheel to.

2: Trust Fiona and let her throw a grenade to save the Gortys.

I agree that Borderlands may be their best series yet. I think it comes from the universe being a bit more light-hearted and open to comedy that makes it shine a bit more since it's allowing the writers to loosen up and be funny. From what I've read too, the way choices branch in this one is really impressive too. It's all grabbing me in a way that Game Of Thrones hasn't in the slightest.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the 5th episode of Game of Thrones. Eh.

Think that ending has ruined this series for me. The endless shitting all over the Forresters is just fucking comical at this point. I don't find any particularly interesting drama in just piling on misery for them in every single episode. It's just constant "OH SO YOU THINK YOU'VE DONE GOOD? NAH, GUESS AGAIN, HERE - ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS YOU LIKE HAS TO DIE BECAUSE REASONS."

It's just shit and forced and a complete parody of itself at this point. I get that Game of Thrones is this dark series where nobody is safe but it's just getting silly the degree to which they've gone out of their way to make sure that every episode just leaves the Forrester's worse off, like the Whitehill's have to be this unstoppable force somehow able to mastermind the unraveling of the Forrester's and execute each move with almost 100% success rate across the board. Even when Ludd and Gryff come across like fucking morons.

Brief summary:

Gregor, dead. Gared's family, dead. Ethan, dead. Ryon, snatched. Whitehill's delivering neverending humiliation to the Forrester's, oh and there's a traitor now, cool. Oh, but hang on, Mira has struck a deal with Tyr... ah nevermind he's been arrested. Oh, but hang on, here's Elaena with her brother Arthur and his elite guard to allign with the Forresters! And they've managed to imprison Gryff, some bargaining power! Oh, but hang on, here's Ramsey the reset button, oh and he's killed Arthur and sent his men away and freed Gryff. Aha! But Mira has uncovered and foiled a plan to build an army to attack the Forresters! Oh, but hang on, the Whitehill's have decided to ambush you anyway because they're all annoyed. Oh and Duncan/Royland has turned traitor because wahhh they didn't get to be sentinel. Oh and now one of Rodrik or Asher has to die because why not kill off yet more Forresters for some bants. And there's Gryff looking good as new, lovely.

The traitor being determinant is rubbish too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just replayed both seasons and damn I forgot how challenging some of the choices were.  I'm just curious for those who also played how season 2 ended for you? In the end, I just couldn't let Kenny be alone after all he'd been through... Seems it was an unpopular choice to save him though :/

Edited by BuddyAwesome

You might want to put that in a spoiler tag, just to be safe. I'm sure a lot of people who read this thread have already played the game, but there's always a chance that someone hasn't. Anyway,

I saved Kenny too because I, perhaps naively, wanted him to embark on a redemption ark. I was loyal to him throughout most of the game, which was probably against my better judgement because he was clearly unhinged and dangerous, but some of the other characters, particularly Jane, weren't exactly wholesome role models either.

Seriously, fuck Jane that two-faced bitch. At every point she's trying to get you to turn on Kenny, and at the end of it all it shows she was just playing his buttons all the time and trying to put him over the edge. I am so glad I decided to stick with Kenny till the end.

• Like 1