Errrrgghh fuck off.

I only completed episode one today of the last season.

I can see that being the biggest issues with most people. Paying full price for what may end up being only half the game.

Here's a really in depth article from TheVerge about TellTale, and a big omen to their eventual demise. This was written only half a year ago, and it pretty much sketches a really bad picture for the company. Ranging from people working insane hours up to 20 a day, and a management group that pretty much pressured their employees to work harder and harder and harder.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

Im well behind. I bought season 2 really quickly but felt the need to replay season 1, saving the other out of Doug/Carley and this time convincing Vince to come along with everyone else in 400 days(essentially when I started season 2 I felt like I wanted 2 saves of it active, my original save and one with alterations to my original narrative to see what differences it'd make) but just like with replaying Splinter Cell Double Agent (finished the PS2 version but when I bought the next game in the series, I realised the differences from the PS2 version of DA to every other version meant I'd probably need to play the PS3 DA to get back on the real Splinter Cell timeline)I got bored at a certain point replaying too familiar bits and stopped playing.

Edited by Noah

They're not going to finish fucking Walking Dead? I hardly care about that series, but my god - Clementine is the best thing they've done.

Also, Ubisoft San Francisco made an open post to the Telltale employees about meeting up with them on a resturant/bar's patio on Monday to talk about jobs and stuff - and they're going to pick up the bill for food and drinks. That's really cool.

• Like 2

The cynic in me knows it is shameless PR but still a cool gesture and hopefully it sees folks back in work sooner. The workers apparently aren't even getting severance which is awful.

sadthree.jpg

• Sad 1

I hope when the assets get sold, a developer picks up the Sam & Max franchise and brings them back, eight years has been too long and they deserve some new shenanigans!

• Like 1

Telltale has posted that 3-4 partners have stepped forward with plans/funding to see episodes 3 & 4 of the Walking Dead Final Season released "in some form" with no real promise of anything yet. Could mean the games themselves, could mean something in the line of a graphic novel or similar from the way it's worded. I was figuring something like this would happen though - just not so soon.

The way this has all been handled is really kind of disgraceful. The laid of staff were given time to go into the offices and get their personal belongings and it seems as though the company waited until they had all gone before posting this message.

Now having said that I really want the game finished. I feel bad for all the staff but being completely selfish I want this game completed. I know it’s shitting all over the devs who have got nothing and are financially screwed but I’m not going to pretend that I don’t want the finished game, even if it means it appears in a different medium and done by volunteers. 

I would rather they completely finish it with Episode Two even if it's slightly extended to at least get an ending. Another medium won't interest me unless it's possibly an animated short film.

As an aside, it's nice to see that Jaden Smith survived the apocalypse. 

• Confused 1

This just keeps getting worse. Apparently they were hiring people up to a week before this announcement, and now a class-action lawsuit because of the short notice of their layoff.

There's people out there that are actually willing to donate money to Telltale to finish the season.

People are strange. 

34 minutes ago, Noah said:

There's people out there that are actually willing to donate money to Telltale to finish the season. 

People are strange. 

If they had a kickstarter, I'd chip in too.

I'm okay with the idea of a kickstarter unconnected to Telltale, featuring people from the existing WD creative team, which is something I've also seen people call for but throwing money at telltale itself, after how everything went down? Eh.

I'd fear, instead of hiring back the previous team, telltale management would instead just hire the cheapest available options, release a half-arsed couple of episodes and give the majority of the donated money to creditors.

Edited by Noah

Fuck finishing the series, if telltale get money donated to them they best pay some god damned severance first.

250 people out of a job in an ultra competitive market in one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world is a metric fuck tonne more important than what happens in The Walking Dead.

• Like 4

I still don't get why they kept doing episodic releases all these years on. It just forced me to wait until the complete season went on sale cheap instead almost every time.

Also here are (Steam) sales figures for all the TellTale games since BTTF.

nbJYD9C.jpg

It took just over two years for the hype to completely die down after TWD sold massively, only S2 and TWAU sold over a million on steam and the rest all dipped lower and lower, with Minecraft being the first one to dip below BTTF levels, never for them to recover.

And with reports that even a week prior to the massive firing they were hiring people, it just smacks of some massive corporate mismanagement on a massive scale. How can anyone see those numbers and go 'Yeah, we're doing great!'.

TWD effectively gave them the money to survive 5 years with, and they never even got close to those same heights again.

I do think the lack of advertising was one of their biggest downfalls. 

I had no idea a follow-up Batman series had been released until a few months after it had, as it wasn't promoted anywhere. Let alone Guardians of the Galaxy, which I thoroughly enjoyed, however again, it got no promotion whatsoever.

I went to buy Minecraft 2 when it was on-sale but it turns out I had bought a year prior. Don't remember buying it let alone it being released. 

Yeah, a failure of both marketing and an unwillingness to address the illusion of choice critiques.

Wonder what the sales are for Strong Bad and Sam and Max. Got to be stronger than the JP game surely.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SeanDMan
      Stargate was a very interesting franchise. It originally began as a movie starring Russel Crowe and the pervert from The Secretary, and it was a fun, b-movie sort of space romp where the bad guy was the character from the Crying Game but with a completely different surprise under their clothes.
      Then, Stargate became a TV show starring MacGuyver and it ran for eight years, then they recruited the guy from Farscape and put him in the Stargate and then things got rocky and confusing.
      Most recently, Stargate did what all old franchises have done lately, they had a reboot injected with strong, powerful female characters. It was called Stargate: Origins and tells a tale of Katherine Langford which someone is supposed to still be canon (I haven't actually watched it yet, so I can't tell you if it's any good or not, but it's a thing if you want to find it).
      Anyway, as a way of getting people hyped for new Stargate, the people behind old Stargate have been uploading some feature length episodes in HD to youtube, commercial free. They have uploaded some great episodes, feature length mini-action movies, some great character dramas and some awesome stories.

Today they uploaded Sunday.

Sunday is not one of those good episodes. Sunday is bad. I hate Sunday. I wish everyone who made Sunday steps on a Lego.

Because I enjoy ruining people's days and I want other people to know my pain, I present to you: Sunday.

• By Jasonmufc
      For the racing boffins that are going to be following it in part, or in total. I'll personally be hoping to make it 24h this year after just barely failing to last year.
      It's the second round of the World Endurance Championship 'Super Season', a season that started last May at Spa Francorchamps with an LMP1 from the venerable two time F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso (and team). A season that will run two whole calendar years as opposed to one (due to ongoing changes with WEC and the future of endurance racing)
      Now the race touches down at the legendary Le Mans racing circuit for the 86th time, and whilst the LMP1 race is Toyota's to win, the other classes are as competitive as they've always been with a plethora of manufacturers and private teams competing for class wins, and at least 1 position on the general podium!
      A full grid of 60 cars will be starting the race, 10 LMP1's, 20 LMP2's, 17 GTEPro, and 13 GTEAm. And with how fickle a 24h race is, anything can and will happen during the race. Nobody is guaranteed a victory, not even the dominant Toyota team that is the only factory team in LMP1 this year.
      Qualifying Results: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans#Qualifying
      Notable Drivers:
      LMP1: Fernando Alonso (2x F1 WDC), André Lotterer (3x Le Mans Winner), Bruno Senna (Nephew of Ayrton, former F1 racer), Alex Brundle (Son of Martin), Kamui Kobayashi (Former F1 Racer, Le Mans podium), José Maria Lopez (3x WTCC Champ), Seb Buemi (Former F1, Le Mans Podium), Kazuki Nakajima (2x Super Formula, Le Mans podium), Jenson Button (1x F1 WDC), Vitali Petrov (Form. F1 driver)
      LMP2: Paul di Resta, Will Stevens, Jean Eric-Vergne, Giedo van der Garde, Jan Lammers (62 years old, former F1 driver FROM THE 70s!), Pastor Maldonado (Legend), Juan Pablo Montoya, Ho-Pin Tung (2017 LMP2 Le Mans winner), Felipe Nasr
      GTEPro: Toni Vilander (2x GTPro Le mans Winner), Antonio Giovinazzi, Jan Magnussen (4x Le Mans class winner, father of Kevin), Tony Kanaan, Sebastian Bourdais, Scott Dixon, Earl Bamber (2x LMP1 winner), Nick Tandy (1x LMP1 winner), Nicki Thiim (GTEPro WEC champ, Twitch streamer)
      GTEAm: Giancarlo Fischella, Pedro Lamy, Mathias Lauda (son of Niki)
      --
      Broadcasting:
      For people interested in following Le Mans. There is always Radio Le Mans which is a free radio feed with commentary about the race. Eurosport also fully airs the 24 hours of le Mans. In the USA 'Velocity' will air the uninterrupted race with the Eurosport commentary feed.
      Le Mans itself also offers a premium app with the Le Mans apps, which offers the main feed but also on-board footage. Additionally live timing is offered on the Lemans.org site for free(?)
      ---
      Race start: June 16th @ 15:00 GMT+1
    • By Jasonmufc
      Well, like the thread title so eloquently says. What's some of the craziest shit you've come across in video games. Whether it's a game scene, or a gameplay function, or heck, an entire freaking game as a whole being just so ridiculous. Maybe it was so bad that it became good, or that there was a huge dissonance from one moment to the next.
      Basically, what are moments in games that have stuck with you over the years, maybe has become an inside joke just because it was so memorably weird and crazy.
      This ain't a thread for things that have stuck with you because it was simply great (Ex. The Last of Us giving you feels). This is about the weird/funny/crazy crap that has found its way into gaming.
      For example, mid 90s early 3D game Overblood. A pretty bland PS1 Resident Evil clone, with god awful acting. And one of the most hammy over-acted 'emotional' scenes i've ever come across.

• By Plubby
      Hi all,

Wowee the end of the year approaches so fast! It's time to vote for the 2015 Game of the Year! Rules are as follows:

1: We are nominating a maximum of ten entries per member. The title in position 1 receives 10 points, less 1 point for each game down until 1 point for position 10. You may vote for fewer than 10 games. You may not distribute your points for positions not filled among games you did vote for.

2: I am using the following point weighting system: The total number of points received by a title, multiplied by the number of times it was voted for. Ties will be broken by number of 1st place votes first and by total nominations second. This is a slight divergence from previous years, as last year games had their scores negatively impacted by a number of low nominations, so i'm trialing this method. Happy to discuss this in private message if required.
      Quick example:

3: All games released since the creation of the last voting thread (8 December 2014) are eligible. I'll be using the earliest release date listed in Wikipedia for this purpose. Expansion packs/DLC will ONLY make a game eligible if it changes the core game that was released. In this case it will be considered a standalone title, so to speak. Happy to discuss this via PM too if you think it needs to be changed.

4: Animated discussion and debate in this thread is allowed and encouraged. Please try and keep any debate in at the least a seperate paragaph to your list so I can notice them, and if you're the type who likes to explain their choices, by all means do so - but try and use some formatting wherever you can so I can again distinguish choices much more easily. Bolded Titles/Rankings are preferred. 

5: Nominations will close in a couple of weeks, likely on the 25th of December, Perth time depending on my schedule. Votes may be edited up until that date, no need to post to let me know. I'll not be recording votes until then so feel free to edit away until I announce close of nominations. The list itself will be posted between Xmas and New Years'

6: I would prefer you to indicate with your first choice how you are formatting your list. In the absence of clear instructions, I will consider your FIRST LISTED title as the HIGHEST RANKING title. Examples in the spoiler box below for minimum clear formatting

Other than that, go nuts!
    • By Benji
      Keep that shit in here.