Euro 2016 qualifiers

Lineker

• Admin
The full fixture list has been announced for Euro 2016 qualifying following the draw earlier on Sunday. England begin with a trip to Switzerland on 8 September, while Scotland travel to Germany, Wales visit Andorra, Northern Ireland go to Hungary and Republic of Ireland face Georgia away.
In the final round of matches, England travel to Lithuania on 12 October 2015, Scotland are away against Gibraltar, Republic of Ireland visit Poland, Northern Ireland go to Finland and Wales host Andorra.

Gibraltar manager Allen Bula sets Euro 2016 play-offs target

Gibraltar manager Allen Bula is targeting the Euro 2016 play-offs after being drawn in the same group as Scotland and Republic of Ireland.

The third-place team in Group D, which also includes Germany, Poland and Georgia, will earn at least a place in the play-offs.

"It's a historic moment," Bula told BBC Sport.

"I'm not going to change, I'm going to stick with what I said and that's to get to the play-offs."

Gibraltar, who were only given full Uefa membership in May, have only played one official match so far - a 0-0 draw against Slovakia.

"It is a dream come true," he said. "It has been a very long road. We've been waiting for many years to be here and finally reality is kicking in back in Gibraltar.

"I'm very proud to be the first Gibraltar manager to go into the qualifiers but also looking at it thinking there's a lot of hard work there with the group we've got.

"We're a small nation, but I've always said I wasn't here for the sake of just playing.

"I think, after the game we played against Slovakia, our maiden game, nations have changed their mind about Gibraltar now."

All their home matches for the Euro 2016 qualifiers, as well as their home friendlies, are being played in Portugal as the British Overseas Territory does not have a ground suitable for hosting competitive European fixtures.

Their first-ever competitive match will be at 'home' against Poland on 7 September, but Bula was particularly looking forward to the matches with the Scots and Ireland because of Gibraltar's links with the British Isles.

"Drawing Scotland, that's one when I tried to keep my emotions [in check], but I didn't I didn't manage it," he said.

"I jumped from the seat as soon as I saw Scotland come out. It was unbelievable for many reasons. It's going to be a very emotional game for us, great feelings.

"My grandchild is half Scottish, so I've got to make sure he's wearing the Gibraltar shirt.

"My assistant manager [David Wilson] is from Glasgow, so I've got to make sure he's working with me."

Got to admire their optimism.

Are they even worse than San Marino? It's about time San Marino got a promotion from being the worst team in the world.

Are they even worse than San Marino? It's about time San Marino got a promotion from being the worst team in the world.

probably not quite.

Gibraltar have only had 1 recognised full international match, back in November they drew 0-0 at "home" (it was in Portugal) with Slovakia.

Before they were accepted into UEFA, they had a number of friendlies over the years against teams with a similar designation (such as Tibet, Greenland and Northern Cyprus), though they did have one friendly against the Faroe Islands - they won 3-0.

According to Wiki, San Marino only have one victory in their history (a 1-0 friendly win over Liechtenstein in 2004), and three draws (0-0 at home to Turkey in 1993, 1-1 away ot Latvia in 2001 and 2-2 away to Liechestenstein in 2003).

My guess is that they are a step above San Marino, probably closer to the likes of Moldova, Cyprus, Macedonia, Iceland etc.

It would be awesome if they could find a loophole to use British players.

Whilst Danny Higgnbotham is about to retire, he played in the Slovakia game (and wis in the squad to play the Faroes/Estonia).

They have called up Scott Wiseman (Preston NE), Liam Walker (ex-Portsmouth, now playing for Israeli premier league side Bnei Yehuda), Reece Styche (Wycombe), Adam Priestley (Farsley), Will Britt (Bognor Regis), and David Artell (Wrexham).