Hardcore

Eric

While the punk thread is great and informative and the metal thread is great as well, I feel like there should be a discussion for hardcore punk, the most controversial (?) of punk subgenres.

Hardcore has always been faster, harder, and since the mid-'80s, more metal than other offshoots of punk, to the point where most people these days categorize certain bands (often influenced by hip hop and extreme metal, for better or worse) as "hardcore" without the punk label. So, what are your favorite hardcore bands, past and present?

I'll start off with some of my favorite bands that span several decades and subgenres but are unified in their general "hardcore-ness":

ANTIDOTE

Classic! Brings in some of the early groovy elements that would be associated with "hardcore."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMw8l3dTZfU

HATEBREED

You've heard of them. Great late '90s jams. This is the re-recording of this song, which was on their first EP release in 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2Q6DxhO_k

• Like 1

Hatebreed always brings back memories of high school, the year 2003, and CM Punk for me. Ring of Honor's website used to list who used what music as an entrance theme, and being a broke high schooler I couldn't really afford to order stuff like ROH DVDs and VHSes so I would make a playlist of ROH wrestler themes, fire up EWR, and start a-bookin'.

• Like 1

yea, hardcore takes me back to high school too..swapping cds or cassettes with people on the bus going to the tech school. I first heard Hatebreed in 1997 or so, girl I was friends with had their Under The Knife tape

Was a huge fan of Snapcase

• Like 1

I've never really gotten into hardcore as much as I feel I should, probably because I prefer the clean vocals/melodic hardcore over screams/growls. Some songs/bands that I have enjoyed (that I think would fit into the hardcore genre) are Suicidal Tendencies, Off!, Alexisonfire, The Blackout, and a half-dozen obscure bands who I've heard a few songs by each.

Such as...

I think this was the first real hardcore song that I heard, even though it doesn't quite get into the harder stuff for 70% of the song.

Los Crudos, pretty fucking heavy stuff. I think they were a Chicago based Mexican band, and sing just about everything in Spanish.

Personally though, I've always liked hardcore the best from the 80s. I like when it's not too obviously hardcore, but just a bit faster then it's punk rock predecessors.

• Like 1

I've always liked Earth Crisis, though when they were still more punky hardcore then the metalcore they evolved into

• Like 2

I'm not sure I'd consider Hatebreed 'hardcore'. When i think hardcore, i think Suicidal Tendencies, i dunno...

This is what the genre Hardcore is in Holland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz1aZq3axgg

Little bit different.

I love gabber. I think I'm the only person in Los Angeles who knows who Rotterdam Terror Corps is.

I'm not sure I'd consider Hatebreed 'hardcore'. When i think hardcore, i think Suicidal Tendencies, i dunno...

Hatebreed have been a major part of the hardcore scene for almost two decades, though it's a genre that's open to interpretation.

It hasn't been strictly hardcore punk since Cro-Mags and Sick of it All.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that hardcore be more punk than metal (or today, rap). But the hybrids can be great, and I love the shit out of it. That being said, all the bands I'm personally in or will be in are always much more towards "hardcore punk" (let's face it, it's just punk) than the mainstream hardcore/metal/rap fusion. Although I love the fusions as well.

I first heard Hatebreed in 1997 or so, girl I was friends with had their Under The Knife tape

Was a huge fan of Snapcase

Yes! '90s shit is so good--the good stuff, anyway.

This is a thread I can get behind!

Terror--the best! Even their formulaic songs are infinitely better than almost all bands. And I love their past two records, as well as the classics at this point (One with the Underdogs, Lowest of the Low, Always the Hard Way). Working on building my Terror vinyl collection now that labels are re-releasing their old records.

I've always liked Earth Crisis, though when they were still more punky hardcore then the metalcore they evolved into

Yes! I wanted to post Earth Crisis but figured anything from Destroy the Machines would probably scare off any potential replies. With that in mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQiH2khqbvU

Kid Dynamite is a good late 90s/early 2000s hardcore punk group from New Jersey

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that hardcore be more punk than metal (or today, rap). But the hybrids can be great, and I love the shit out of it. That being said, all the bands I'm personally in or will be in are always much more towards "hardcore punk" (let's face it, it's just punk) than the mainstream hardcore/metal/rap fusion. Although I love the fusions as well.

I think the disconnect for me comes from the fact that, after the first generation of bands, the LA scene, especially the bands out of the South Bay/Orange County, are all 'hardcore', usually mixed with skate/surf. Still is, actually, the LA scene has lasted the longest, even though people tried to dismiss it.

Now if i can just get people to understand that Black Flag isn't a DC band...

who the hell thinks Black Flag is a DC band? They don't sound too similar to the bands that came out of DC at the time.