Lets talk about and post our favorite songs from the 90s.

VerbalPuke

In forum non grata we had fun with this, lets make it a thing.

I'd start with a video but its a pain in the ass with my phone. I'll just say that even though I dont listen to a lot of 90s music these days it still is something that brings back strong memories of my childhood.

Saw Underworld live in about 2007 I think and Rez/Cowgirl and the track below were of course by far and away the highlights. Utter utter choons.

There were a number of songs in the '90s that changed everything while I was at high school. I was a couple of years too young for Trainspotting when it first came out but I remember Born Slippy being played a LOAD and everyone in our year knew about the film because of this song. Every Brit of my age and a few years both ways knows it. In that respect I think it was central to the time. Another that was probably equally important was...

It got to number one and the musical powers were so stressed by it that they changed the way the charts were worked out to try and make sure a similar "incident" didn't happen again. It's not their best song at all but it's their most important.

This is like really fucking 90s. It's such a weird 90s video in that I just don't know what the fuck is going on. I get that apparently a little girl dressed as a bee was at a talent show and was laughed at, and then tries to impress people around town. Then she finds a secret garden of other people dressed like bees. Good old 90s.

Beavis and Butthead fans should remember this gem.

I'm trying to pick he tracks I loved then and not ones I've gone back to since. I'm so bloody old now that all I do is go back and fill in the gaps from "the good old days" of my teenage and student years.

Saffron was hot. All three of these women were.

Teardrop was another one of those huge huge songs of the decade. It's still utterly haunting.

• Like 1

My wife's favourite film is "Shooting Fish". The film starts with an opening scene before cutting to the opening titles and music which is....

...and it's an utterly perfect start for a film of the time.

Ugliest band there's ever been though.

Recently I've been listening to earlier PJ Harvey in the car. That woman.

PJ+Harvey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjTrwOMSO4

When I was a kid this was my jam. In retrospect, it's really catchy and not annoying, which is more than you can say about most pop songs.

And I had this atrocity (masterpiece?) on a dubbed cassette... Kid Rock being a Mania XXX theme reminded me. To be fair, the beat on this song is really awesome--even The Cat Ernest Miller would approve of the pure funk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1S6YwQjzXU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, how the fuck have we had a 90s video thread without the Offspring or Rancid, since thats when they came into popularity?

• 2 years later...

So I'm in this group on facebook where we basically just share music among ourselves. It's for those of us into punk/hardcore/new wave/weird shit/garage/obscure shit/no wave/cold wave/fuck wave/whatever we can think of at the time. I've been exposed to some cool music there. Well, I posted a band that I've recently become really into from the 90s by the name of Cop Shoot Cop. I think they might be my favorite 90s band other than Unsane at this point, they remind me of Nomeansno with an industrial twist. They're pretty fucking brilliant. 

Also, Amphetamine Reptile records was pretty legit, they have Unsane on their label, as well as a pretty rad band called Cows. Though to be fair, they were active in the 80s. So was Sonic Youth though, and we can still talk about them like they rocked in the 90s.