Need a logo for a soon to be real business

Quom

Umm I have no real idea how any of this works or else I would have knocked something shoddy up myself to sort of give you an idea.

What I'm basically after is just a logo for a new dog grooming business. So far we have pretty much sunk all of our life savings into the equipment for the business, so don't actually have any money to pay for anything. In a few months if we use the logo we'll hopefully be in a position to give you a token amount. The hope is to eventually end up with a webpage where obviously your logo would be featured and if graphic design or whatever is your field we'd be more than happy to confirm the work as yours if asked. But in all honesty we live in a small country town in Australia and are literally running it out of our back garden, so whilst I'm super amped it's probably not that exciting and likely the benefit is probably more me and my partners eternal thankfulness to you.

I'll follow the outline in the sticky and provide as much info as I can (but really have no idea about design)

• Type: We're after a logo
  • Text: 'Furry Friendz' is the name of the company with the tagline (or whatever it's called) 'Gentle Groomerz' (furry friends is out as it's used in another State and don't want to get into any sort of crap). The z in groomerz is just to make it consistent. A bit crap but you gotta do what you gotta do. Currently nothing is registered though so if you have a brilliant idea for a name then I guess have at it (probably suggest it before designing around it though since we might hate it), we want to convey that we're gentle and very dog orientated and our main aim is to be friendly towards the animal whilst making it look beautiful (one of the dog groomers down here charges a fortune and gives every dog the same haircut and just pushes through as many animals as possible).
  • Font: No idea on this front. Something 'friendly' looking, think kid focused I guess, we sort of want to convey a friendly, nice type of image, so whatever font works for that.
  • Images: Go nuts. The image would preferably have a dog in it and potentially something to do with grooming (so in a bath or whatever). Please don't use an image that belongs to an actual company though. The other consideration is that the aim is to get this image put on a polo shirt as a uniform (we're collecting and dropping off the animals as a point of difference since we don't want to cage them) so it would be great if it wasn't super intricate (no idea how they stitch logos on shirts, but I'd imagine simple is better).
  • Colours: The other local groomers wear pale blue, and the others with pink, so we're going with maroon. Like I said the aim is to get the logo stitched onto a polo shirt so something simple that will work with maroon would be brilliant.
  • Size: This is the hard one as in reality we'll probably need a variety of sizes. But umm I have no idea. Would be great if you could do the same design in a variety of sizes since I don't think they are scalable are they?
  • Sidenotes: It would be great if the background was transparent and complimented maroon as a colour behind it.
  • The logos of our local competitors: fLePkSN.pngHg5kfsX.pngThe count Dogula's one has their tag in white so it doesn't show, here they are on a black background

Finally thanks so much just for having a look or considering doing this. It's obviously a massive undertaking and one which thanks probably isn't enough to cover. But umm yeah, words can't describe how happy we'd be if someone could produce a kick arse logo for us that helps us stand out and look the part.

Really childish logos, so I hope you guys do something better, in a font that can actually be read.

"Gentle Groomerz" with the 'z' at the end looks really childish as well, but like you said, what can you do?

I can't create the logos, but I'll give my input if you value it. If I think of any good "dog grooming" names, I'll let you know. Maybe something along the lines of "Best Man's Friend", with a dog in a tux or something. Cute, but if done right, also looks professional.

The biggest issue with names is that all of the good ones are taken. Even if we just look in our own state there are two 'Man's Best Friend' groomers.

We'd rather avoid having an identical name as from what I can gather groomers can be a bit catty so would rather not get into arguments around business names. There's also a good chance we will need to move the business at some point (we live in a country town, I need to go back to the city to finish studying) so would rather just pick a unique name or spelling to avoid confusion.

As far as childishness goes, I think it's because a lot of people who you are hoping to appeal to think of their dogs as children. Otherwise why would they be willing to pay $50+ to have someone groom it? We originally considered going ultra classy, issue being my partner is a hair-dresser rather than a dog groomer so isn't 100% sure that his initial work would be up to the standard of a brand that promised excellence and promoted itself as being a class above. Ultimately I'd like something in between, where it's instantly recognisable as having something to do with dog grooming, looks fun and inviting but also professional.

I personally really like it. Both my mum and partner didn't like the g (one thought it looked like a 9, the other thought it looked like an 's' (I can't see that though). It definitely deserves a place on the short list as my partner was blown away by the black and white on maroon version (although on those the white of the g seems to be leaking out of the black)

I dunno, I much preferred the other one. I don't know what it is but this doesn't seem friendly. I can't work out why though so I feel shit saying it as obviously it's a lot of work. But I much preferred the first design. It was simpler and seems more genuine and easier to recognise and digest.

• 2 weeks later...

Between being busy and generally being out of ideas creatively, I finally got around to giving it a shot (although I'm still pretty much idealess). I put it against a maroon background, but also made a black version against the white background in case - hence the half and half. I can provide a transparent one if needed.

w5UHhTr.png