Sign in to follow this  
Meacon

NCAA Football 2014 Thread

So since tomorrow is going to have a lot of school's Spring Games (including Notre Dame!) I figured now was a great time for the three of us that care about college football to start talking about it.

And for starters, here's a bombshell: Former #1 high school player in the country, Dorial Green-Beckham, has been cut from the Missouri Tigers.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10768484/missouri-tigers-dismiss-dorial-green-beckham-team-wake-incident

That news was huge when I read it. It'll be really interesting to watch and see where he winds up, and of course finding out what led to his dismissal.

Well, he's from a broken home. The hyphened name is because his high school coach adopted he and his mentally-handicapped younger brother. The reason he went to Missouri, or at least a main reason, was because he'd be close to home.

From the sounds of it, he was dismissed because he got pushy with a girlfriend's friend, and broke into her apartment in order to see said girlfriend. Nobody is pressing charges. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the first issue he's had while enrolled there.

I'm sure he'll end up at Auburn or Ohio State or USC. <_<

Got tickets to Penn State/UCF in Dublin. Gonna be my first game, no idea what to expect.

Expect a pretty good game, both teams should be good this year.

Waiting to decide what Temple game I head up to this year. Might also make the drive to Annapolis for a Navy game.

Do it. And take a tour of the Academy. I love taking trips down for Navy/Notre Dame. Sit on the grass by the canon.

Well, he's from a broken home. The hyphened name is because his high school coach adopted he and his mentally-handicapped younger brother. The reason he went to Missouri, or at least a main reason, was because he'd be close to home.

From the sounds of it, he was dismissed because he got pushy with a girlfriend's friend, and broke into her apartment in order to see said girlfriend. Nobody is pressing charges. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the first issue he's had while enrolled there.

I'm sure he'll end up at Auburn or Ohio State or USC. <_<

I read something about marijuana charges also, prior to this incident.

Do it. And take a tour of the Academy. I love taking trips down for Navy/Notre Dame. Sit on the grass by the canon.

Yeah I haven't been around the Academy in ~15 years, despite living 45 minutes away. Definitely need to do it.

Should have been empty.

• Like 3

I'll never forget when I was living in Philly and my friend told me there was a bar a few blocks from where I lived that did all you can eat crabs. The disappointment I felt when I walked in to all you can eat Snow Crab legs has only been matched a few times in my life.

Yeah that's definitely off-putting to say the least. A good look into what goes on with this whole "student-athlete" thing, and a great look on a few possible solutions, as well as cases of players like this (though not as extreme) getting caught in bad situations (using "paper classes" to up their GPA, etc.) is in the documentary "School: The Price Behind College Sports" which I originally found on netflix.

Also all of the college football 30 for 30's on ESPN outline these problems very well. Examples in "The U", The Maurice Clarrett doc "Youngstown Boys", and SMU's, "Pony Express", just to name a few of my favs.

I actually kinda have to back the NCAA on this one - his classes (according to the report I read) hadn't started yet, so if he's not a student yet, it's hard to be a student-athlete.

• Like 1

Colleges help international students come over to America months before starting school and help them find housing that sometimes is paid for by other people. I fail to see how a homeless guy from New Orleans is any different.

• Like 1

After Boise State's request last night, the school may provide immediate assistance to football student-athlete Antoine Turner.

From the NCAAs Twitter page

• Like 1

I actually kinda have to back the NCAA on this one - his classes (according to the report I read) hadn't started yet, so if he's not a student yet, it's hard to be a student-athlete.

The school didn't want him to accept help in order to keep him an eventual student-athlete, and to not face any trouble from NCAA on his/the teams behalf.

I guess if he lived in a box or a shelter until, possibly risking danger and never becoming a student-athlete is much better.

NCAA in the year 2014 is so backwards it's not even funny.

Kyler Murray committed to A&M today. He is the top QB in the 2015 class and goes to Allen High School which, as you might know, built that $60 million stadium that has cracking concrete and cannot be used. But yeah, great job from A&M continuing to smoke the Longhorns in in-state recruiting. Interesting to see how Charlie Strong stops the bleeding.

• Like 1

Twenty bucks says he transfers when he realizes he won't play until his senior year thanks to Kyle Allen.

So they revealed the College Football Playoff trophy today and it is something that is very apt to award to college students.

That's because it's very clearly a dildo.

10406666_10152422571946773_6869185988310

Wouldn't it be apt to college students if it were shaped like a beer keg?