NCAA Football 2014 Thread

So since tomorrow is going to have a lot of school's Spring Games (including Notre Dame!) I figured now was a great time for the three of us that care about college football to start talking about it.

And for starters, here's a bombshell: Former #1 high school player in the country, Dorial Green-Beckham, has been cut from the Missouri Tigers.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10768484/missouri-tigers-dismiss-dorial-green-beckham-team-wake-incident

Well, he's from a broken home. The hyphened name is because his high school coach adopted he and his mentally-handicapped younger brother. The reason he went to Missouri, or at least a main reason, was because he'd be close to home.

From the sounds of it, he was dismissed because he got pushy with a girlfriend's friend, and broke into her apartment in order to see said girlfriend. Nobody is pressing charges. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the first issue he's had while enrolled there.

I'm sure he'll end up at Auburn or Ohio State or USC. <_<

Well, he's from a broken home. The hyphened name is because his high school coach adopted he and his mentally-handicapped younger brother. The reason he went to Missouri, or at least a main reason, was because he'd be close to home.

From the sounds of it, he was dismissed because he got pushy with a girlfriend's friend, and broke into her apartment in order to see said girlfriend. Nobody is pressing charges. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the first issue he's had while enrolled there.

I'm sure he'll end up at Auburn or Ohio State or USC. <_<

I read something about marijuana charges also, prior to this incident.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's definitely off-putting to say the least. A good look into what goes on with this whole "student-athlete" thing, and a great look on a few possible solutions, as well as cases of players like this (though not as extreme) getting caught in bad situations (using "paper classes" to up their GPA, etc.) is in the documentary "School: The Price Behind College Sports" which I originally found on netflix.

Also all of the college football 30 for 30's on ESPN outline these problems very well. Examples in "The U", The Maurice Clarrett doc "Youngstown Boys", and SMU's, "Pony Express", just to name a few of my favs.

I actually kinda have to back the NCAA on this one - his classes (according to the report I read) hadn't started yet, so if he's not a student yet, it's hard to be a student-athlete.

• Like 1

After Boise State's request last night, the school may provide immediate assistance to football student-athlete Antoine Turner.

From the NCAAs Twitter page

• Like 1

I actually kinda have to back the NCAA on this one - his classes (according to the report I read) hadn't started yet, so if he's not a student yet, it's hard to be a student-athlete.

The school didn't want him to accept help in order to keep him an eventual student-athlete, and to not face any trouble from NCAA on his/the teams behalf.

I guess if he lived in a box or a shelter until, possibly risking danger and never becoming a student-athlete is much better.

NCAA in the year 2014 is so backwards it's not even funny.