NCAA Football 2014 Thread

There's simply no justification for Kansas having a legitimate shot at the national title in D1 football but not Colorado State.

Not the way Kansas is currently playing, no. But if Kansas were to go 11-1 and be the Baylor or TCU in a playoff schedule, then they would have earned that by beating a very difficult schedule. If Colorado State goes 11-1 and is this year's Boise State, then they better have lost to another team in the playoff, or their best chance is to play in the Fiesta Bowl.

You're right when you say there's hot garbage at the bottom of a lot of these Power 5 conferences, but to say that schedules are created sufficiently equal because the worst of the Power of 5 is worse than the top of the Group of 5 ignores that the bottom of the Group of 5 is diabolical. I still think Kansas wipes the floor with UNLV. The bottom of the Mountain West, AAC etc is not close to a Kansas, for my money. Except the MAC, The MACtion is hot from top to bottom :shifty:

I'm not really saying that the schedules are "equal enough" ... I'm saying that the puff about the "power 5" is greatly overdone. Is the separation between the top 5% of the D1 football teams that big ? Sure, always has been going back to the 4 Horseman and even before that. It's more to the point that the Oregon's and Bama's and FSU's of the world are only truly winning 3-5 "big" games a year while shuffling over 6-7 "eh" teams each season. The entire knock on the "other" conference big shots each season is that they're only truly winning 2-3 at most "real" games each season and that it doesn't stack up to what the other guys are doing. Except, if you actually look at it ... the separation really isn't what it's made out to be. Everything (based on voting patterns, historical rankings, etc) is based on what you do at your top end ... so how bad the bottom end is (as has been proven by voting patterns, rankings, etc) is almost irrelevant.

Case in point is FSU this season. GT, UL, Clemson .... that's it. The rest is a bunch of "ok" teams or worse.

Your Boise ST did that a couple of times but couldn't sniff the NT picture. They even did it with 1 loss a couple of times just like say Oregon this year.

In other news, in the "Barry Alvarez is a bad ass AD" department. It looks like he's getting (Wisconsin guy) Paul Chryst to be the new HC for the Badgers. That's three in a row .... if he could just get the University to pay the freaking assistants this program would skyrocket.

Looks like Tulsa is getting Baylor OC Phil Montgomery to be their HC

First of all, I'd like to congratulate my old coach Tom Herman on winning the Broyles Award as the top asst coach in D1 college football. I'd further like to congratulate him on being the new head coach at the University of Houston. The high powered cougs will be a thing once again. Hell yes !

*go bulldogs*

Memphis is doing pretty damn well here. Referees have given BYU every break, however, including taking back a 60 yard TD (that would've been the nail in the coffin) on a phantom holding call.

• Like 1