NCAA Football 2014 Thread

Word coming out of UCLA right now is that Kylie Fitts, consensus 4-star defensive end from the 2013 class, has his bags packed and he's ready to transfer. Possibly to Notre Dame. :happy:

Apparently religion plays a huge factor in his life and he doesn't feel like he fits in well at UCLA. I wish he had realized that two years ago when we were recruiting him. Anyway, once the paperwork clears, he's allowed to join the team in practice, but won't see the field until 2015, if he picks Fresno or the Irish. If he picks an FCS school, he can play right away.

Now it's being reported that Fresno, Notre Dame, and Montana State are the most likely destinations.

A potentially great morning has turned into an awful one for us Notre Dame fans.

Apparently this afternoon, it's going to be announced that Kendall Moore, Davaris Daniels (who was suspended in the Spring semester for academics), Keivare Russell, and Ishaq Williams are all guilty of some form of academic fraud/misconduct from a year or two ago. That means that they are likely to be out all season. Daniels, Russell, and Williams are all starters.

Also a possibility of vacating wins from the 12-1 season of 2012, since that is apparently when this occurred.

There goes any possibility (no matter how far-fetched) of getting to the playoffs this year. :(

So a few things to catch everyone up:

- Moore, Daniels, Russell, and Williams are suspended indefinitely. Though the same source I originally heard this from (a guy on the inside on a ND forum I frequent) has said that he's been told two of the players have been cleared during the investigation and they're waiting for it to be complete before they say anything. Take that for what it's worth. I'm just assuming they're all four likely out for the season until told, by the University, otherwise.

- Braxton Miller could be done for the year. http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/08/18/braxton-miller-injury-update.html

People are saying that could be it for Ohio State's season, but Urban has been there for a few years so I'm sure he has developed his back-up good enough to at least compete in the Big10.

- After people shit bricks when the Hawaii AD said the football program may be "going away", he felt the need to clarify his statement. http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/8/18/6043895/hawaii-ad-ben-jay-clairifies-statements-dropping-hawaii-football

I honestly couldn't fault them if they did. That program is most definitely not making them any money, and I'd imagine just the travel for the team and staff is breaking the bank in itself.

I'm hoping HTTK does a conference preview thing this year. I may put one up. Though I feel like Dan in the Xbone thread. Talking to myself. :shifty:

Hawaii has no quick, cheap trips. If you're trying to save money that really is the first thing to cut.

Ohio State could have gotten a playoff spot, and first game loss, with Miller healthy. They'll be fine without him but I think they'll drop a game to keep them out of the playoffs.

Right now I've got Florida State, Alabama, Oklahoma as locks. Fourth one is up in the air. It should be an exciting season though with the new playoff.

I think Florida State is a lock. Alabama should be good, but good enough with a new quarterback? Time will tell. I'd imagine whoever they go with, they'll use just like they used AJ his first couple years. "Just hand the ball off and playaction pass to your tight end". Their running backs alone could likely carry them to the playoffs.

I think Ohio State had a chance to beat Michigan State with Miller. I don't think they have that chance without him. Connor Cook turned on like crazy the second half, and Pat Narduzzi is still their defensive coordinator.

I feel like the fourth team is going to come out of the Pac-12. I don't think it will be Oregon. And I'm not sure why people are going ga-ga over USC. Yes, they're talented, but they still only have like 64 guys on scholarship. That's a severe lack of depth. When the injuries start piling on and it's the end of the year, they're going to be weak. That leaves me with UCLA or Stanford. Stanford lost a lot on defense and their D-Coordinator (Derek Mason, now head coach at Vanderbilt). But they're Stanford and they'll likely be the only defense in the conference that punches you square in the jaw. UCLA seems to have too much talent not to win the conference, but I'm still not sure if I can trust Jim Mora.

So I guess if I had to give a Playoff-Four right now it'd be the obvious choices of Florida State, Alabama, and then Michigan State and UCLA.

I fully expect this to be the year where we get an undefeated mid-major that throws everything out of whack, though.

http://games.espn.go.com/college-football-challenge/en/group?groupID=1556&groupp=RVdCA&invitesource=email&inviteuser=MzEyODEyNTk%3D&ex_cid=invite-email-cfc

college football challenge thingie .... how's about more than two of you ladies participate this year ? EWB is the password.

Oh, and your mid-major will be whatever team gets out of the American Athletic or whatever the Big East is now <_<

Houston is awesome ... as they did this:

622x350.jpg

... on their new turf in their new stadium this year. That's an 11yd marker in honor of ANDRE WARE !!!!! Fuck yeah.