Karaoke

Liam

I've not sung any for years, but was wondering whether anyone on here had ever indulged in it, and what songs they'd performed.

From my memory, I've sung (or been involved in groups that have sung) these 8 songs:

Nirvana 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'

Wet Wet Wet 'Love is All Around'

Chad Kroeger 'Hero'

Savage Garden 'Truly Madly Deeply'

Presidents of the United States of America 'Lump'

Pulp 'Common People'

All Saints 'Never Ever'

Four Tops 'Going Loco In Acapulco'

I did the worst job on the last one - who knew you needed to know the lyrics to the verse as well as the chorus?

I used to do it loads in Japan. The big centres have loads of rooms for separate groups of people, cheap drinks and huge song choice.

Of everything I sang, my go-to songs were probably...

"Common People" by Pulp.

"Song 2", "Stereotypes" or "Beetlebum" by Blur.

"Ordinary World" by Duran Duran.

"Vienna" by Ultravox

"You Really Got Me", "Lola" or "Apeman" or "Sunny Afternoon" by The Kinks.

"London Calling" or "Should I Stay..." by The Clash.

"Too Much Too Young" or "Message To You Rudi" by The Specials.

"Barbie Girl" by Aqua.

Chad Kroeger 'Hero'

Be ashamed.

The closest I've come to it is a Rock Band night old friends of mine ran. Normally, I did anything but sing lead vocals, but one night I remember getting absolutely trashed and rocking the hell out of the Beastie Boys. SABOTAAAAAGE.

I was waiting for someone to pick that one up.

Not for a while.

I used to do Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton.

And one version of YMCA that I'll never be allowed to forget :facepalm:

Oh, god, what have I done, uh...

I went to two birthday parties at a Japanese-style karaoke place with separate rooms, and at those I was more "let's try shit and do duets and whatever." Best one of the first session for sure was when me and the girl whose birthday it was did fucking "C'est La Vie" by B*Witched entirely because it was there, and managed to do it way better than we should have for a song that I hadn't heard in a good thirteen years or so. I also killed it on the Dru Hill chorus to "Wild Wild West."

Otherwise, I've done "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin at an actual karaoke night. It wasn't very good.

One of my deam business plans is to open a small Japanese-style karaoke place. Just a few rooms but all separate. That's how it's done properly. Karaoke is approximately 600% more enjoyable when it's just you and your friends and you can all sing along together and pick whatever the hell you want without sitting politely through some randoms warbling on.

Lets see

"Total Eclipse of the Heart", Bonnie Tyler

"Africa", Toto

"Ain't No Doubt", Jimmy Nail

"Too Many Broken Hearts", Jason Donovan

"Lose Yourself", Eminem

"Gay Bar", Electric Six

"This Ain't A Scene It's An Arms Race", Fall Out Boy

"All the Small Things", Blink 182

Lil' Jon's bits in "Yeah", Usher

"House of the Rising Sun", Animals

EDIT: Lane 7 in Newcastle has the small room with a stage at one end to do private karaoke parties. A lot of fun, a bit rapey.

The only ones I can remember doing are "Common People" with a friend who had never heard the album version of the track, so got rather confused, "Dirty Old Town" by The Pogues, a big group of us doing "Beautiful Ones" by Suede on a friend's birthday, only to find that a closing minute of "la la la la la la" makes for incredibly dull karaoke, and I once did a duet of Nick Cave & Kylie's "Where The Wild Roses Grow" with another bloke at Halloween.