Gotham

brenchill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm now caught up with the show (I totally forgot that it returned a couple weeks ago) and so far I have mixed feelings. A lot of stuff I liked mixed with a lot of stuff that left me scratching my head.

One thing that disappointed me in the most recent episode was that they killed off Jerome Valeska. I really thought they were trying to create their own version of the Joker. And the actor who played him wasn't half-bad. They missed an opportunity here. And what the hell was that last scene supposed to imply? Are they really telling me that these people all had simultaneous psychotic breaks just from watching him? That was bullshit.

Also do they really want us to beleive that Gotham City doesn't have a Swat Team that could've defused the situation at it was really up to 2 man and a child to clear a room with armed hostage takers?

And I still can't stand the actress playing Barbara Gordon.

• Like 1

New Gotham

JEEEEEEEEEEESUS CHRIST ALFRED! I know he is pissed at Selina for killing his traitorous war veteran buddy but watching him hitting her square in the face like that feels just wrong. And they really want to beleive me that she just took that punch without falling over or even flinching?

New Gotham

Hidden Content

I think it was a slap rather than a punch.

But how good was Robin Lord Taylor in that last scene. Such raw emotion.

And Nygma was seriously creeping me out throughout his entire dinner. I was terrified they were going to ruin his character by having him drug and rape Ms. Kringle for the sake of being grimdark and edgy

Edited by I Diem

New Gotham

The actress that plays Catwoman was so horrible this episode. The scenes with her and that other girl are almost cringeworthy.

And Gotham has an actual black market for explosives? I like it. I wish they showed a bit more of it. An interesting place with a lot of potential.

The story about that Robbie-Rotten-lokalike villan gets worse and worse each week. I really hate that guy. And that nobody realizes that he is a bad guy is beyond me. It's so obvious. And now they bring in some cliched age-old blood-feud and some weirdo cult into it as his motivation? Give me a break.

I like paranoid, on-edge Penguin though. So that is at last one good thing we get out of this story.

It's a mixed bag for me. There is a lot of stuff I like about it. It's great to see that Gordon has finally managed to ease up and roll with the punches instead of still being a goody-two-shoes boyscout. Thankfully the writers also had him dump Barbara so no more painful to watch romance scenes between them. Donal Logue as detective Bullock is still a joy to watch although unfortunately his character seems to take a back seat this season. Robin Lord Taylor as the Penguin is probably the best non-comic incarnation of the character that ever was and they even managed to turn Edward Nygma into a credible creep. And last but not least I love no-nonsense Butler Alfred who is at times overwhelmed with the task of taking care of young master Bruce. It is a nice contrast to the wise old sage Alfred of the Nolan movies who always knew the right story for every situation.

The cramming in young batman villains can be a good and bad thing. As mentioned above they did a great job with their portrayal of the Penguin and the Riddler. On the other hand we had young Poison Ivy who was completely pointless in the first season as was Harvey Dent. They have introduced some new once including a fairly well-known one this episode and another fairly big once that is supposed to debut over the next few episodes but I'll hold my judgment about them back until I can see where they're going with them story-wise.

On the other hand Barbara is still part of the show, as a side-kick to the villain this time, and the actress that plays her is still terrible. As are the actors that play Catwoman and Bruce Wayne for the majority of their scenes. It's painful to watch sometimes. They still haven't figured out whether they want it to be a gritty cop-show are a goofy comic book adaptation although I think the balance of these two styles has gotten better in between seasons. There are still goofy things happening but nothing as jarring as the guy who used to tie his victims to balloons to kill them. The mob-war is over with Penguin as the quasi-godfather of Gotham. There has been no word about what Dollmaker is up to and the Wayne Enterprise conspiracy plot has taken a backseat to the new main Villain they have introduced. As stated above I can't stand the guy nor his back story and motivation.

I don't mind Barbara in the villain role.  Her character was absolutely terrible as Gordon's girlfriend, but she seems to be a lot more comfortable in this new role. 

The opening to season 1 not how Gotham has turned out.   After the mid-season break for season 1, the show got pretty good.  The opening to Season 2 started with events happening much quicker than I expected. They started season 2 off with a bank,  however, after the 3rd episode, the season is starting to come back down to a slower paced show.  

I agree with HellRaiser on Catwomen.  She was pretty bad this episode.  

Looking back the only time Catwomen and Bruce have ever been genuinely good was during the couple of episodes when Catwomen stayed at Wayne Manor and they were allowed to act like kids. Everytime they have to do dramatic dialogue it just comes off forced and unnatural. Actually that's true for all of the child actors on the show.

New Gotham

JEEEEEEEEEEESUS CHRIST ALFRED! What is it with you and hitting kids in the face?

And that final scene with the riddler was great. It will be interesting to watch him completely go off the deep end next week. But while I'm no expert on choking or chokeholds it didn't look like the choke he had on her would be enough to kill her. But that is just a nitpick.

And what was that laboratory that Firefly was brought to in the end? Is that supposed to be a secret place where supervilllains are created? If so I don't like the implications of that. They did kinda the same thing in Amazing Spiderman 2 where they implied that all the supervillains originate form Oscorp. It makes the universe in which the storie takes place seem to small if all the bad guys are pretty much just guns-for-hire by the Green Goblin or Wayne Enterprise.

Edited by Hellraiser

New Gotham

Hidden Content

Originally, that was the place Sal Maroni gave Don Falcone in exchange for keeping Penguin.  They called in a toxic waste dump, but clearly Penguin knew better as he was working with Falcone, and it seems to be a way to hide under the radar for what they're doing.  Was that supposed to be Mr. Freeze covered in nitrogen in the lab?

Edited by TGWL

I think he was confirmed to make his debut later this season so It's probably him. Who was the woman in the black leather suite we saw for like a split second?

Also if this means they're going to bring their version of the Joker back who was killed by Robbie Rotten in Episode 3 or 4 then I'm all for it.

Edited by Hellraiser

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the show...okay, actually, I binge watched Season 1 on Netflix and then got caught up on Hulu. Either way, I really like the show and am interested to see where it's going. I happen to enjoy Bruce and Selina, even though it does seem a little forced. The thing that keeps messing with me is the fan service. Okay, we introduced all of these characters that people know from the comics, or from the different TV series, or from the movies, and here we go. They're Easter eggs sometimes, while others are a little more on the nose. Honestly, I could do with a little less of that.

It's really odd to me that they got rid of characters who, as far as the canon of the comics can be considered to be the central source reference, were around right when Bruce came back to be Batman. Part of me feels like this might be set on (New 52) Earth One or something.

5 hours ago, Nick Adams said:

I've been watching the show...okay, actually, I binge watched Season 1 on Netflix and then got caught up on Hulu. Either way, I really like the show and am interested to see where it's going. I happen to enjoy Bruce and Selina, even though it does seem a little forced. The thing that keeps messing with me is the fan service. Okay, we introduced all of these characters that people know from the comics, or from the different TV series, or from the movies, and here we go. They're Easter eggs sometimes, while others are a little more on the nose. Honestly, I could do with a little less of that.

Hidden Content

Yeah, there are some choices I really don't understand. Like young Poison Ivy. I don't know why she is in the show. She has done nothing of note so far. It's a role that could've been filled by any other orphan.

And what character in particular are you refering to?

Falcone and Maroni come to mind. Carmine Falcone's son, Alberto, became Holiday in 

The Long Halloween. Maroni was still alive during that story arc. Commissioner Loeb was the corrupt commissioner in Batman: Year One. Given that the man playing Gordon voiced Bruce Wayne in the film adaptation of Year One, I'm sort of surprised how loosely they're treating the canon. I get that they have to throw a few surprises in there, but eliminating all of them seems a bit odd.

I don't think they care much about contradicting the canon. Apart from the basic elements they have to keep (like the Wayne's being murdered and Bruce growing up with Alfred) they only use elements from it if it suits the story they want to tell.  And I honestly have no problem with that approach.

Edit:
New Gotham

Spoiler

Riddler and Penguin reunited yay!

And FOR FUCKS SAKE GORDON! All you had to do is pull the trigger and we could've gone on with the series never mentioning Barbara again. But you couldn't do that, cold you? I know this may sound excessive but I really can't stand her character nor the actress that is playing her.

Edited by Hellraiser