The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

• Admin
Rio Ferdinand says John Terry has never apologised to him or his brother Anton for his alleged racial abuse in a Premier League game in 2011.
Quoted in the Sun, Rio Ferdinand said he no longer talks to Terry after the abuse Anton Ferdinand received during a match between Chelsea and QPR.
Terry was acquitted of charges of racial abuse following a trial in July 2012, but was later banned for four matches and fined £220,000 by the FA.
He then apologised for his behaviour.
QPR defender Rio Ferdinand, 35, who will face former club Manchester United on Sunday, claims in his forthcoming autobiography that the incident damaged his brother Anton's career and the subsequent court case saw him receive death threats.
"There were bullets in the post and unending racist abuse," he said.
"He (Terry) could have saved everyone a lot of pain by admitting immediately that he had used the words in the heat of the moment, but was no racist.
"I think that's probably what happened and what the truth is. Anton and I would have accepted that - instead he never gave us the chance.
"I've never actually spoken to John about the case.
"I no longer talk to him, but even three years later I find it impossible to forgive or forget the pain he put my family through."
Ferdinand added the "uncertainty and bad feeling" meant his England career was wrecked, while Terry's was able to continue.
He expressed his disappointment that England manager Roy Hodgson never asked if he would consider playing alongside Terry, despite the pair's differences off the pitch.
"John and I would have had a working relationship and it would have been fine," he added.
"But no one ever asked."

I get that what John Terry did was absolutely scummy, but why would he have to apologise to Rio when he already apologised to Anton? Rio was the one who spent the entire 6 months leading up to the trial being an absolute cunt on twitter and made it impossible for him and Terry to be selected for England ever again. Rio wasn't professional in the slightest throughout the whole saga even though it wasn't him who was personally wronged.

Pardew did well to get them where they were at one point but seemed to have no idea how to take them forward from there and it devolved into "buy all the French players!".

They probably should have done a Southampton and sacked him when the going was good and brought in someone with more ability.

If you look throughout his career, it's always the same pattern, he does well at the start, then things start to turn and he either refuses or simply isn't good enough to adapt or bring the dressing room back around, then he gets sacked. Problem is, the 'getting sacked' has been going on for over two years.

Indeed. Any other club in the country would by now have scouted available coaches, done some 'tapping up', and have someone in place ready to make the call. We're just going to panic sack him and appoint Olly Bernard.

I reckon he'd take the job in a heartbeat if it were offered to him now. Pretty ironic if Pardew is still there next week, Bruce getting a win at SJP to vacate the job for him.

I'd much rather have Moyes than Bruce and if not him go look into Europe for a young talented manager like Southamtpon did to get Pochettino.

As opposed to what? Another from the traditional merry go round, or the more unusual Ashley tactic of someone who hasn't managed for 15 years? Appointing a manager is always a high risk task, but someone like a Pulis is such a sideways step its barely worth doing, unless we're really that worried about going down and need a saviour already. Hughton mebbe...

Ray Houghton hasn't got any management experience as far as I know. TCO's right on Hughton though, he did really well but he reached his level, especially given his role was basically to motivate a bunch of Premiership quality players in the Championship.

• Like 1

• Admin
Manchester United make four changes to the side which drew 0-0 with Burnley before the international break, as new boys Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind both start. Radamel Falcao and Luke Shaw are on the bench. QPR hand a debut to deadline-day signing Sandro, while Niko Kranjcar returns for a second spell.
Man Utd XI: de Gea; Evans, Rojo, Blackett Rafael: Herrera, Di Maria, Blind; Mata; Rooney, Van Persie.
QPR XI: Green: Isla, Caulker, Ferdinand, Hill; Sandro, Fer, Kranjcar, Philiips, Hoilett; Austin.