Football trivia

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Players who spent over a decade at the same club, especially one the size of Arsenal, tend to be memorable too. The hardest ones are the lower league journeymen.Players who spent over a decade at the same club, especially one the size of Arsenal, tend to be memorable too. The hardest ones are the lower league journeymen.

Is the third one Raimond van der Gouw? I feel as though I should know the second one too, and it's annoying me.

Bah, I was sure no one would get that one as I scrolled down! I'm in very good company with you lot, football almanacs the lot of us.

Doncaster Rovers was given as an answer on a Pointless question today, which is a rare treat (using the word treat very liberally, I know). As people try to work out those player history ones, I'll throw out a trivia question.

A team once went from the fourth tier of English football to the top division and then back to the bottom again all in the space of 8 years. Who is that team?

20 minutes ago, Adam said:

Bah, I was sure no one would get that one as I scrolled down! I'm in very good company with you lot, football almanacs the lot of us.

Doncaster Rovers was given as an answer on a Pointless question today, which is a rare treat (using the word treat very liberally, I know). As people try to work out those player history ones, I'll throw out a trivia question.

A team once went from the fourth tier of English football to the top division and then back to the bottom again all in the space of 8 years. Who is that team?

Swindon?

1 minute ago, 9 to 5 said:

Swindon?

No, but that is a very good guess. They went from Division 4 to the top flight in only seven years, and it would have been four years had they not been demoted for financial issues in 1990. Not the one I'm looking for though.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Swansea? Didn't Toshack take them to the top flight in four years then they fell apart after he left?

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Was it Wolves in the 1980s? I thought I heard that on a documentary somewhere. Also, what was the question on Pointless?

Unbelievably, looks like there are two correct answers to my question. I wasn't looking for Swansea, but after double checking it they did indeed do it in eight years too. In 1978 they were promoted out of the Fourth Division and by 1981 they were top of the First Division. However they got relegated the following year and in 1986 dropped back into the Fourth Division, eight years after getting out of it. John Toshack took over just before the first promotion and left in 1984 when they went down to the Third Division.

But they weren't the first to do it, and they aren't the team I was originally looking for. So the question remains!

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Was it Wolves in the 1980s? I thought I heard that on a documentary somewhere. Also, what was the question on Pointless?

It wasn't Wolves. A quick rise for them from the doldrums in that decade but they have stayed in the top two leagues ever since.

The Pointless question was English and Scottish league teams with an F or an A in their name. A lady said Doncaster Rovers for 2. The eliminated pair only got 12 from 3 answers (losing by 1 to 0 in a tiebreaker as their Oxford United answer lost out to Raith Rovers) so were desperately unlucky.

29 minutes ago, hugobomb said:

If Wolves isn't the right answer,  then maybe West Brom? Didn't they jump around the divisions in the 60s/70s?

Not West Brom either, although I believe that era spawned the "Boing-Boing Baggies" nickname they still have.

23 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

Northampton Town?

But it is Northampton! Well done @RazorsEdge. Between 1961 and 1969 they managed to go from Division 4 to Division 1 and back down to Division 4 again. Their one season in the top flight, in 1965-66, is the only time they have ever played First Division football and indeed the Cobblers have played exclusively in the bottom two tiers of the league since dropping back into Division 3 in 1967. That is a long streak of mediocrity which I believe is only bettered by Rochdale, who have been in the bottom two divisions since their admission to the Football League in 1921, a streak which looks almost certain to reach 100 years in another season and a half.

20 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Is 1 Trainos (sp?) Dellas?

Is 2 Attilio Lombardo?

18 hours ago, Gazz said:

2. is Michele Padovano, again, purely known due to playing every iteration of Championship Manager ever.

Someone on Reddit a few days ago was talking about how a lot of Premier League players seem to all merge into one and you see a lad score a goal and you think he must be a youth product with a couple of games under his belt, so you google him and it turns out he's an experienced international signed for 8 figures in the summer, yet they could name the entire 1995/96 Southampton first XI.

I'm the same, between Championship Manager and Pannini stickerbooks, I reckon I could name more players from 1995/96 than I could 2019/20. I only know half the current day players because of FantasyPL.

Dellas and Padovano are correct

4 hours ago, Adam said:

But it is Northampton! Well done @RazorsEdge. Between 1961 and 1969 they managed to go from Division 4 to Division 1 and back down to Division 4 again. Their one season in the top flight, in 1965-66, is the only time they have ever played First Division football and indeed the Cobblers have played exclusively in the bottom two tiers of the league since dropping back into Division 3 in 1967. That is a long streak of mediocrity which I believe is only bettered by Rochdale, who have been in the bottom two divisions since their admission to the Football League in 1921, a streak which looks almost certain to reach 100 years in another season and a half.

Wow, total guess. I was going to go with Bristol City as I know they were relegated back-to-back sometime in the early 80's but your comment about Swansea not being the first to do it made me realise it was too early.

• Admin
1989–1991 RBC Roosendaal 69 (33)
1991–1995 NAC Breda 115 (81)
1995–1997 Celtic 69 (44)
1997–1999 Nottingham Forest 71 (36)
1999–2000 Vitesse Arnhem 29 (25)
2000–2001 Benfica 30 (19)
2001–2003 Feyenoord 61 (52)
2003–2005 Fenerbahçe 53 (32)
2005–2006 NAC Breda 17 (5)
2006–2007 Feyenoord 37 (8)

1982–1987 FC Torpedo Moscow 63 (0)