EWB's Favorite Singer IV: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

Yes. Irrational.

I'd say it is irrational, considering that most folk that hate it have never actually listened to more than one or two Metalcore bands.

So how many would you say I have to listen to before I'm not deemed irrational that I hate "metalcore"?

Why is Metalcore in quotation marks? Are you trying to imply it isn't a real thing?

Maybe irrational hate is the wrong term.

What I find irrational is people who listen to a couple bands they don't like and decide that the entire genre is the drizzling shits. If a person has actually listened to a fair bit of this or any genre for that matter, and still dislike it, fair enough. But to say that all of a genre is shit because of a couple bands you don't like is idiotic and, yes, irrational.

I've heard some "metalcore", and I can objectively say that it all sounds fucking horrible, or as you so aptly put it, the drizzling shits.

• Like 1

Yes. Irrational.

I'd say it is irrational, considering that most folk that hate it have never actually listened to more than one or two Metalcore bands.

So how many would you say I have to listen to before I'm not deemed irrational that I hate "metalcore"?

Why is Metalcore in quotation marks? Are you trying to imply it isn't a real thing?

Maybe irrational hate is the wrong term.

What I find irrational is people who listen to a couple bands they don't like and decide that the entire genre is the drizzling shits. If a person has actually listened to a fair bit of this or any genre for that matter, and still dislike it, fair enough. But to say that all of a genre is shit because of a couple bands you don't like is idiotic and, yes, irrational.

I've heard some "metalcore", and I can objectively say that it all sounds fucking horrible, or as you so aptly put it, the drizzling shits.

Why do you keep putting it in quotes? Seriously, why?

Music can't really be objectively bad, though, because there's always gonna be someone that enjoys it. You can think it's bad but that doesn't make it objectively bad. Do you really think that much of yourself that you believe your opinion to be absolute unbreakable fact?

Oh, and out of curiousity, what are the Metalcore bands you've listened to?

Not that this discussion is really helping all that much to the actual voting topic here, but I'd wager that it's because metalcore is essentially babby metal - and regardless of what most metalcore fans will tell me, it's pretty standard. Numetal was the fad before it, and tons of mediocre numetal bands popped up - so it's time for a bunch of kids to start metalcore bands with more breakdowns (one of the laziest fucking things in music) than substance.

This makes most of it metal by numbers, and saturates most of what can be considered good. I used to have an ear for this type of music but.. just no.

Oh, and the people I know who listen to metalcore almost always use the argument "yeah, but you haven't listened to more than a few metalcore band" - when that's not the case. It's not the world's fault that other people don't like your genre. Essentially this is being discussed because you stated that a) people haven't listened to or b) people have some kind of irrational hatred for the genre, because apparently they've only listened to one or two.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was about to weigh on the metalcore argument but then I remembered that I regular listen to noise and free improvisation music like Nurse With Wound, Hong Chulki, Prurient and SEAL TEAM 666 so I probably shouldn't talk about "unlistenable" genres. :shifty: I will say though, that metalcore is partially responsible for bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge and Today Is The Day and I like those bands so...

• Like 1

I don't even know what metalcore is. But I've heard of Killswitch Engage and they're rubbish. So metalcore is rubbish.

It's the whole "Socrates is a man" thing, except THIS TIME IT IS RIGHT.

also I guess I'll get around to voting in this at some point

Florence Welch, Jack White, AND Janis? THERE'S NOT ROOM ON MY LIST! I refuse to take Bill Withers off. I know he won't make the list, but fuck you, Ain't No Sunshine earns him a spot.

On a side question, how many people would say that their singers list is really close to their bands/artist list? Because mine isn't.

Nope. Singer, singular. The group of voices would be saved for whenever damshow does Favorite Bands this year (assuming he's still doing it this year).

Reading through the lists again, kinda surprised I wasn't the only one who had a Rock Star: Supernova contestant listed.

Edited by Kirkland