WWE 2k15

The Buscher

BuM1vYRCUAAee_J.jpg

Normally #YouCantSeeMe, but here's a look at yours truly in @wwegames #WWE2K15! Stay tuned to @IGN for more info. pic.twitter.com/ipD3rWyVYH

— John Cena (@JohnCena)

August 4, 2014

I don't know how to work Tweet embedding :shifty:

That looks incredible. Well at least compared to 2K14. I didn't actually think the current one looked bad at all but compared to that it looks god awful.

Hopefully that's not prerendered.

2K says it's 100% in-game footage.

IGN's big first look essentially boiling down to "hey, there's a career mode" was pretty underwhelming though. I could've told you that with an educated guess.

Hopefully that's not prerendered.

2K says it's 100% in-game footage.

IGN's big first look essentially boiling down to "hey, there's a career mode" was pretty underwhelming though. I could've told you that with an educated guess.

The career mode is next gen exclusive isn't it? I'm sure I read that in one of the pieces.

You also could have read that in 50% of the posts on the previous page. :P

I'm inclined to agree with Matzat though, inferior graphics and whatnot are obviously to be expected but to arbitrarily just remove the career mode which at the end of the day is going to be cutscenes and menu screens seems a bit mean.

• Like 2

I can certainly see why making certain content exclusive to specific platforms would annoy people. 2K has a history of removing content from the PC versions of its NBA games for no apparent reason, so I can't blame anyone for being a little put out. Still, if all the versions were identical, I wouldn't doubt that some people would bemoan the current-gen versions for supposedly stunting progress on their next-gen counterparts.

You also could have read that in 50% of the posts on the previous page. :P

I'm inclined to agree with Matzat though, inferior graphics and whatnot are obviously to be expected but to arbitrarily just remove the career mode which at the end of the day is going to be cutscenes and menu screens seems a bit mean.

There's no word about them "removing" career mode in the previous gen versions, as "career mode" would have to exist in the first place to remove. They're taking the NBA 2K14 MyPlayer approach, it seems, which was pretty damned cutscene heavy and interactive. NBA 2K14 had fundamental flaws with player progression at times, but it presented an independent, fully realized career mode that I highly doubt would be possible on 360/PS3. The 360/PS3 version of the game had the same great for a 360/PS3 career mode it's had for a while now, but the PS4/XBone when above and beyond in the presentation of the career mode because of the power of those two systems. If the career mode plays out how it's proposed to, it might be doable on the 360 and PS3, but not like it can be on the PS4 and XBone, and with a limited budget/time and two versions of a game to make, it makes sense to go all in on the new, shiny game. It's not like any other career modes in the PS3/360 era were all that fantastic, either. The NBA 2K series was the best of the bunch, and it was really starting to show its age. The old gen games will still sell fine anyway, probably. That shit has always been a cash cow, even when the game was fundamentally shit.

• Like 1

Comparing it to last years game and saying "eh, it could've worked on the 360 and PS3" is ridiculous as you know basically nothing about what they've added in. You DO know that they've upscaled just about everything in the game and have the benefit of the new consoles install features and by far larger patches (which I've accepted as a reality) to work with here when we're talking about the inclusion of a mode that I assure you is going to be more than "cut scenes and menus".

To be fair, we don't really know what goes in to that decision to remove the mode. It's possible that they could have fit everything in, but not without writing the code an entirely different way for a different system. Or stuffed to the rim with whatever content they've got, trying to run it on hardware that old... could result in the game running like shit.

Kind of just the way these things go, though. We're in a new generation now, there's only so much time you can stick to the old tech. And we've been in the previous generation for a long time, there's really just no further that hardware can be stretched. Compare how smoothly a game like InFamous runs on the PS4 to how held back Last of Us was on the PS3. Sure, it was playable, but it was pretty clear that we'd reached the absolute limit of what the PS3 could do. The game ran so sluggishly at times that I doubt I was even getting 25fps.

To be fair, we don't really know what goes in to that decision to remove the mode. It's possible that they could have fit everything in, but not without writing the code an entirely different way for a different system. Or stuffed to the rim with whatever content they've got, trying to run it on hardware that old... could result in the game running like shit.

Kind of just the way these things go, though. We're in a new generation now, there's only so much time you can stick to the old tech. And we've been in the previous generation for a long time, there's really just no further that hardware can be stretched. Compare how smoothly a game like InFamous runs on the PS4 to how held back Last of Us was on the PS3. Sure, it was playable, but it was pretty clear that we'd reached the absolute limit of what the PS3 could do. The game ran so sluggishly at times that I doubt I was even getting 25fps.

Once again, you can'r really... remove a mode when it didn't exist before. It's being included in the PS4 and XBone versions of the game. As it stands right now, it isn't in the last gen versions. I see what you're getting at, but "remove" is not the right word. Again, they've got time and budget constraints, and considering this wasn't even being shown at E3 I kinda have a feeling it's gonna be a light year on content no matter what just to get the game going on current generation consoles. I also say that in hopes of being pleasantly surprised.

TKZ is right, though, the last gen went on WAY too fucking long. And this is coming from someone who can't afford a PS4 or XBone at the moment. Video games are frivolous just by their very nature, and the 360 and PS3 are fucking archaic. Honestly, I don't think you guys understand how much power it takes to do the kinda stuff you're expecting, and to do it well. Legit, I think a lot of publishers got as much as they could out of these systems, and again, judging by NBA 2K14's Career Mode, that shit would not have been possible on 360 or PS3—or, it would have been on a much, much more focused scale. Something like the mode with focusing on one or two big feuds (take Orton vs. Cena through the years, for example) might be possible on 360/PS3, with quite a lot of features similar to the WM 30 mode where you're trying to recreate moments. If, again, NBA 2K14 is anything to go by, Career Mode should be a lot more organic—like Smackdown Season Modes of old, just a lot more fully realized and awesome. Hopefully that is the case. Even if the development schedule has been tight, I have a lot of confidence in 2K considering they seem passionate about the WWE franchise, unlike THQ, and they have a template with the NBA 2K series.

It's more likely that the development team on the game was focused on the current-gen version of the game, and that the 360/PS3 version of the game won't be nearly as different from last year's game as the PS4/XB1 version.

EA Sports did the same thing with NHL, where the last-gen version of the game is little more than a roster update with some improvements, new ESPN graphics and announcers.

You don't split your development team and release an inferior version on a current-gen console. You just don't do that. And they sure as hell aren't going to pay for two development teams, so you toss a few guys on improving the last-gen version and put the big focus on current-gen. It's not that the last-gen systems couldn't handle it, though maybe they couldn't. It's that you just don't devote the resources and money to a product that isn't supposed to be top of the line anyways.

I'm inclined to agree with Matzat though

You were doing so well Colly :(

I did hesitate, but I'm not piling on him for a fair complaint no matter how obnoxiously its worded. Obviously it depends how the mode is implemented (and indeed if they're completely different games as per when Pro Evo moved from PS2 to PS3 with the PS2 version keeping the old engine. Which was better...), but I am curious to see what the thinking was when its actually released.

Meh, I'm still seething about the lack of splitscreen in the last SSX, I'm pretty much a luddite.