Washington Redskins? More like Washington.. lack of... merchandising.. skins...

apsham

Political Correctness really does suck, and people are far too sensitive about this kind of thing. I don't care if they change their name or not personally... but I wouldn't bat an eye at a team being named the honkies or crackers... I mean a person can't even wear a head dress without it being "racist" anymore.

That being said "Redskins" is probably the most offensive Native American themed name there has ever been. It's not like its Warriors, Chiefs or Braves that has a positive context.

On a side note I totally want this NY Jews cap.

cleveland-indians.png

• Like 2

Political Correctness really does suck, and people are far too sensitive about this kind of thing. I don't care if they change their name or not personally... but I wouldn't bat an eye at a team being named the honkies or crackers... I mean a person can't even wear a head dress without it being "racist" anymore. On a side note I totally want this NY Jews cap.

cleveland-indians.png

Sucks for whom? I'm sure the people not being verbally or physically abused derive some kind of benefit from this dastardly policy of respect, even if the poor non-minorities have to learn how to communicate without using various f-words, n-words and c-words.

• Like 2

Sucks for anyone who doesn't want to walk on egg shells when they speak? I'm not saying blatant racism should get a pass at all mind you. Of course everyone deserves common respect, but there's a point where the need for political correctness goes too far. A ton of local high schools in my area had to change their mascots from Braves, Indians and Warriors for instance. What is wrong with Braves, Indians or Warriors? The council calling for changes even calls themselves Indians.

• Like 4

I wouldn't know those specific examples, one of the teams in my national sports competition are called the New Zealand Warriors. Are those names referring to a specific race? Those generally don't work.

EDIT: The Indians one does seem to be specifically targetting a race. I acknowledge there are times where political correctness can be confusing in what you can or can't say (I only realised quite recently I shouldn't be saying 'midget' or 'guido') but really, the trade-off of not offending minorities who just want to fit in society with the rest of the straight white men of middle class income or higher is worth it.

Edited by Purple!

Has Notre Dame ever gotten flack for the Fighting Irish name and imagery?

Not that I know of, but thnen again its the Fighting Irish and a leprechaun. If their name was The Drunken Micks and their logo was this

leprechaun-drunk.jpg

different story

Washington Watchtowers!

On a side note I totally want this NY Jews cap.

cleveland-indians.png

The Redskins need to change their name, but the Indians logo is by far the most offensive sports related shit I've seen. I never really thought twice about Redskins until the controversy and learning of the word's history but even 10 year old me knew something was funky with Cleveland's logo. It looks like the equivalent of those old black face cartoons. Granted Cleveland has phased it out to a degree but it's still absurd.

It's still pretty ricockulous that there are people using the term "Indians" as well. It's the equivalent of landing in England, thinking it's France, and insisting on calling everyone on the island French. Forever.

• Like 4