Ooooooooooooooooh.

see? Cave man level communication. Now watch him eat this dead quayle with with only his teeth.

So that is what you guys are paying Clarkson all that money for. Need a grinder.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer the league doesn't expand at all, but whatever. The NHL would be the only top pro team there, and would probably find most of its competition to be college football and basketball. I wonder if there is a real market for hockey there, but it's not my money.

I think Seattle, with a new arena, is a more viable market.

Vegas would be something interesting to see but I don't know if it could actually be successful. The hope I guess would be that a team can sell blocks and blocks of tickets to resorts who comp them to their guests. That doesn't mean tourists will actually go, but ideally every game could be a 'sellout' if there's lots of corporate partnership happening.

Seattle is probably a better fit but they're also not interested in a hockey team as anything more than a sidecar to a potential NBA franchise right now. The possibility for success with a team there or even in Portland seems high, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Vegas just as an interesting project. NHL seems to be the only league who has ever even halfway-embraced the city by playing pre-season games there and such, so it makes sense that it would be them.

Expansion is rough though. Look at just how many bad players are on squads now. Guys that are terrible skaters and worse players, but are making 4th lines of teams to fill out the rosters. Now add 100 new roster spots throughout the league? (They're trying to get 4 expansion teams, from what I've read) No thanks.

And that doesn't begin to scratch the surface when it comes to attendance problems at some teams' games.

Edited by PatDaMan

I was pretty sure the idea was 32 teams. Aside from Vegas, the big rumours have been Seattle, Kansas City, Toronto 2, and Quebec City, but I don't expect all of those to come to fruition. And I'd expect the Florida Panthers relocating before an expansion to 33 or 34.

I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Vegas just as an interesting project. NHL seems to be the only league who has ever even halfway-embraced the city by playing pre-season games there and such, so it makes sense that it would be them.

Expansion is rough though. Look at just how many bad players are on squads now. Guys that are terrible skaters and worse players, but are making 4th lines of teams to fill out the rosters. Now add 100 new roster spots throughout the league? (They're trying to get 4 expansion teams, from what I've read) No thanks.

And that doesn't begin to scratch the surface when it comes to attendance problems at some teams' games.

I don't think the problem is lack of talent. I think it's more to do with the idea of what a fourth line is. There are lots of talented guys in the AHL that could be on NHL teams, but they aren't "fourth liners"... so they get stuck in the minors, and teams fill out a fourth line with bruisers, checkers and guys who are pretty much there just to fight. It's a philosophical issue, not a talent issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming there is usually a league (or perhaps like football two) for fantasy hockey, if anyone sets one up yearly I'd love to join. If not or we have too many people and need another league I'd be happy to set one up. Run all the leagues for all sports with me and my friends.

Saku Koivu retired.

He was the captain of the enemy, the leader of the Montreal Canadiens. And, despite being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, Koivu is probably one of my top ten favourite players of all time. He was a killer against the Leafs, and his return from cancer was just an amazing moment in sports.

• Like 1