The Leafs have sent Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli to Nashville for their 1st round pick, Olli Jokinen, and prospect Brendan Leipsic.

Jokinen is just to match salary, so whatever. A first is what I expected for Franson. I don't know anything about the prospect. The Leafs might have been able to get a little more value, but it's good to see them start moving pieces and collecting assets for the future.

Leafs lose again! Keep the tank strong!

Also...Kessel said he'd accept a trade if the Leafs asked. How about to Florida (Barkov+) or Nashville (Jones+)?

When you say Barkov+, what exactly do you have in mind to package with Kessel to give fair value for Barkov? There's nothing the Leafs have to balance for Jones, so what would you think would be fair for Barkov?

Leafs lose again! Keep the tank strong!

Also...Kessel said he'd accept a trade if the Leafs asked. How about to Florida (Barkov+) or Nashville (Jones+)?

When you say Barkov+, what exactly do you have in mind to package with Kessel to give fair value for Barkov? There's nothing the Leafs have to balance for Jones, so what would you think would be fair for Barkov?

Kessel is one of the leading point producers in the league for 4 years in a row...Barkov or Jones straight up for Kessel would be a bad idea for the Leafs. They're not going to give him away for a prospect who might turn out to be great.

If i'm the Panthers I turn down Kessel for Barkov straight-up, and if i'm Nashville I hang up on the Leafs without even a response if they offer me Kessel for Seth Jones straight-up.

Kessel would put Nashville over the top for their cup run (instantly making them the favorites). Their offense would be unstoppable with Forsberg, Neal, Kessel, Weber, Franson and the rest. It would be a Nieuwendyk for Iggy type trade (Young stud traded for a superstar who eventually helps the team win the cup, which is the ultimate goal).

But it's cool, I get that you don't like Kessel :P

Seth Jones is already a big part of that team, and they aren't a one and done team. Seth Jones has the potential to be a Norris winning defenseman, and Nashville still has the potential to be this good when that happens. Kessels contract is a monster, and his history rightly or wrongly will have teams worried about how he'll effect chemistry. Nashville are greater than the sum of their parts, and a shake up of this magnitude doesn't make sense for them.

If i'm the Panthers I turn down Kessel for Barkov straight-up, and if i'm Nashville I hang up on the Leafs without even a response if they offer me Kessel for Seth Jones straight-up.

Kessel would put Nashville over the top for their cup run (instantly making them the favorites). Their offense would be unstoppable with Forsberg, Neal, Kessel, Weber, Franson and the rest. It would be a Nieuwendyk for Iggy type trade (Young stud traded for a superstar who eventually helps the team win the cup, which is the ultimate goal).

But it's cool, I get that you don't like Kessel :P

I'm actually a massive fan of Phil Kessel and have been since basically he landed in Toronto.

So it's nice that you "get" something that doesn't exist. Well, two things if we count your knowledge of trade value.

He's a Leafs fan, the idea of value is a bit skewed when you are paying premium prices to see a lottery team for a decade. :P

In breaking news:

According to a source close to the team, the Toronto Maple Leafs have traded Phil Kessel to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Jan Hejda and a conditional second-round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

You almost gave me a heart attack.

I think Kessel with get a first round pick, a second round pick next season, a roster player (for salary, probably not someone too worthwhile), and a prospect. Not a Barkov or Jones, but a good prospect like the Leafs got from Nashville.

Edited by Toe

Hejda + a 2nd is clearly an insult to the Leafs :P

I'm having a hard time figuring out who says no if it is ROR for Kessel. I think ROR is exactly who the leafs could rebuild around. I think the leafs would need to get more back by way of establishing a wider trade package. If for no other reason than they need to have something better to sell the fans.

I don't think Kessel goes to a contender. My thoughts being that a top team won't want to give up the long term cap space.

I could see a 6-9 place team betting the farm to get him and hopefully compete with the big boys.

That being said... I wouldn't say no to him playing wing for Galchenyuk

I don't think Kessel goes to a contender. My thoughts being that a top team won't want to give up the long term cap space.

I could see a 6-9 place team betting the farm to get him and hopefully compete with the big boys.

That being said... I wouldn't say no to him playing wing for Galchenyuk

I don't know what Montreal would give up, through.