True Detective

livid

There's a fair amount of talk about the show on the board so I figured it could use it's own topic and what better way to start than with some potential casting news!

Colin Farrell is in negotiations for one of the lead roles.

Take it with a grain of salt like with all casting stories that have come about but HBO did say we should hear something in the next week so seems legit. If it is, man, what a great choice.

EDIT: Taylor Kitsch also being considered, apparently.

http://www.thewrap.com/colin-farrell-in-talks-for-true-detective-season-2-taylor-kitsch-also-eyed/

#Riggins4Lyfe

Edited by livid

I liked the first season of the show, loved the Rusty Cohel character. Obviously, I hated to hear his inclusion in the show was only a one year story arch. Never the less, the writing was superb and I suppose whomever they slate will do a good job. Farrell will fit the bill.

I hope whomever they tag, they sign to a multi-year contract. I don't know how much I like the idea of having a new cast each and every single year of the show.

Yep, though the creator said that he probably only has two more seasons left in him (that includes the upcoming second season) because he does have more traditional ideas so you'll kind of get that wish at some point.

I'm surprised Taylor Kitsch isn't a part of The Leftovers considering Peter Berg has been pretty involved in it. Though, then again, I'm sure Kitsch wants to focus on his film career.

• Like 1

Get your salt ready because it's time to play: Is This Season 2 News Legit?

Last week, we got word that Colin Farrell was in negotiations for one of the (four) leads in True Detective season two, while HBO and Nic Pizzolatto wanted Taylor Kitsch for one of the other leads. Neither of those reports have been officially confirmed (although some outlets are saying the Farrell casting is “official”). We don’t know if the talks with Farrell were ultimately successful or not, or even if HBO continued its pursuit of Kitsch, because HBO hasn’t commented on any of this.

Meanwhile, Christian Bale — also according to The Wrapdid pass on True Detective season two, but I don’t necessarily believe that report, as the rumors about Bale’s involvement (I believe) surfaced before Pizzallato basically said, “None of the rumors you have heard so far are true. We have talked to no one.” I also don’t believe this Daily Star report that Ewan McGregor is being eyed by HBO for one of the roles. I don’t even think he’d be a good fit.

Meanwhile, I don’t know where Film Divider gets its information, but The Playlist has vouched for them, and The Playlist is legit, so these plot details on the new season may be accurate. The details they’ve added certainly suggest as much:

They assert that Farrell and Kitsch would play two detectives who join a female Monterey sheriff in her 30s — who has “trouble in her past and problems in her day-to-day” — to uncover a mess of corruption. The three investigators each are from different cities and each have their own separate demons:

Her issues are with alcohol and gambling. Farrell’s character has terrible problems with cocaine and anger management. The young guy, a member of the California Highway Patrol, has been suspended for sexually exploiting a young woman he pulled over. Nobody is clean.

Meanwhile, the plot itself will kind of echo that of Chinatown:

The new mystery is to be kickstarted by the murder of Ray Caspar, City Manager of a fictional Californian city. From what I can gather, the new, partly invented map that Pizzolatto is drawing will be essential to his new story. As he teased, some months ago, part of the mystery will involve California’s transportation systems. This plot will involve a corrupt scheme to link North and South California with a high speed train, all in pursuit of profitable land ownership and lucrative federal grants.

Other details suggests that the occult will play a part at the edges of the mystery, and that it will be set in modern day. Moreover, Farrell will have an older partner, but he won’t be one of the four main characters.

If true, the storyline certainly has a lot of great elements with which to play, and certainly a lot of great acting opportunities (I am most excited, naturally, for the occult angle at the edges of the mystery).

Edited by livid
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to think that unless they land at least one more true A-list star, everybody is going to be massively disappointed by the new leads. I wonder if the producers just assumed after all the critical success McConaughey an Harrelson enjoyed, that more true stars would be willing to commit to the project. I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, as long as the writing and story are on par I don't care about the stars. It helped draw attention to the show, but now the show itself should have the name value to draw viewers. I don't need Brad Pitt to be excited. Same thing with Fargo and Billy Bob Thorton. I came to watch him, but show was good enough I'm watching season 2 no matter what.

I'm starting to think that unless they land at least one more true A-list star, everybody is going to be massively disappointed by the new leads. I wonder if the producers just assumed after all the critical success McConaughey and Harrelson enjoyed, that more true stars would be willing to commit to the project. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the problem is that people forget where McConaughey was at the point in his career when he agreed to do the show. True Detective was part of his plan (along with a risky role in Dallas Buyer's Club) to show the world that he could be more than just the male lead in a chick flick. He had shown in the past he could play a serious role but had fallen into the type cast role over the last few years. He needed the show as much as the show needed him, in order to boost his career.

There is without question a market of actors that are the same shoes McConaughey was in. Collin Farrell may be one of those actors but it takes the right type of actor who is "desperate" to consider a role, even for one season.

Yeah I think the "it has to have star power!" thing is overblown. Of course people would love to see a Christian Bale or Brad Pitt as the leads (which is why the rumors caught on like wildfire) but at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the writing. The people that loved Season 1 aren't going to forget that just because the actors in Season 2 aren't winning Oscars.

I'm somewhere in between. I think my main source of enjoyment in True Detective was from the acting, which was down to have two fantastic heavyweight performers. I know you need good writing to make that happen, but, I definitely don't think you could have any old person take the reigns.

I'm somewhere in between. I think my main source of enjoyment in True Detective was from the acting, which was down to have two fantastic heavyweight performers. I know you need good writing to make that happen, but, I definitely don't think you could have any old person take the reigns.

Sure but you also don't really need a Brad Pitt or Christian Bale to still get that.
  • Like 1