True Detective

livid

I'm not enjoying it, but not because of season one. I wasn't as big a fan of that as many people were but I liked it and thought it was something unique.

I'm not enjoying this so much because it just isn't interesting. It's a generic crime film that could be decent, but has been thinly stretched. Honestly, I think the True Detective name and cast is giving it more benefit of the doubt, not less.

I don't know how many generic crime films deal with cults or raven-mask wearing murderers. :shifty:

I like this season. I'd heard the same stuff everyone else has about it being not-so-good/not as good as season 1, but I sat down and watched the first episode last night. Nothing wrong with it. A bit slow in parts, but I feel like that was something season 1 had a problem with as well, so it's not unique to this season. I bingewatched all four episodes last night, so, spoilers for all four:

I know Vince Vaughn can be a good dramatic actor, but man. I loved that whole scene in the club where he beats the shit out of that pimp and then pulls his teeth out. I really like Frank's arc, with him being screwed out of his money and having to lower himself back to extortion rackets and running drugs just to make ends meet again. The blowback from that mass shooting incident in episode 4 is going to be nuts, and from the previews it looks like Ani's been busted down to a uniform cop. 

Also, David Morse! :w00t: Timothy V. Murphy! :w00t: And.. Rick Springfield! o_O

• Like 1

I didn't like it first because there was a lot going on compared to season 1, but I'm into it. Not as much as season 1 though. I think the issue is the characters in that I'm not really invested in any of them yet.

I forgot that there's only 8 episodes per season. Only three more left.

Also, I just realized where I recognize Attorney Davis from: The Wire. She plays D'Angelo's mom, Brianna.

So all those years ago, Frank set Ray up, presumably so he'd have a cop indebted to him. Frank's also looking to get that hard drive back for McCandless, who I believe was one of the names the psychiatrist spilled earlier when Ray was beating him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how did no one talk about the previous episode? It was so good and so well done, I thought, from the Ray / Frank face-off all the way to the party at the end.

Also, "That's one thing off my bucket list. A Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans" is my favorite line this season.

Yeah the previous episode was amazing! I've really enjoyed this season, probably more so than the last one. 

I think if you take out the setting, time shift mechanic and McConaughey, factors which I think they couldn't bring to season 2, then the story on the whole is more cohesive and enjoyable. All the performances have exceeded my expectations and the plot has me hooked.

Phenomenal episode. This season may be more uneven that last, but if it they nail the ending and actually take down the system instead of just one hillbilly killer, I would say the ending would be superior to last.

I really enjoyed this season. I thought Vince Vaughn gave the best performance out of the entire cast but they all worked pretty well together. Still think Season 1 was better just for the performances of McConaughey and Harrelson but it came close. I'm interested to see what they can do with Season 3, if they move forward with it.

The tone never really changed throughout the entire season but the characters did or at least, their motivations became clearer. Many people seem to have a problem with the plot being convoluted but so are the plots of a lot of great tv shows/movies.

• Like 1

It definitely picks up in the second half. Episodes 6 and 7 were arguably the strongest of the season and comparable to season 1's best. That said, it's obviously a polarizing season, so it may or may not win you over. 

Yeah the second half is a lot more concerned with moving the central plot forward more than the first half and it's all the better for it. Structurally it seems like the first half was designed to give you backstory for the story that unfolds in the second half. 

The acting gets better as the actors become more comfortable in their roles too. Vince Vaughn especially.

It wasn't bad, and certainly didn't deserve as much shit as it got, but it wasn't as good as season one.  Waaaaaaay too much time spent on pretty meaningless character backstory, while the crime itself is revealed in brief conversations and hushed whispers.  Actually, fucking everything is hush whispers, whoever the hell was in charge of audio clarity needs to be fired.  They missed the mark they were going for, as none of their backstories were at all integral to the plot, whereas last season it was an essential part of the plot.  Plus the mystery was far better last year, whereas this year it seemed pretty diluted.

Plus with the crime, there was way too much going on and the importance of the different parts shifted wildly as we went.