Football League Thread 14/15

METALMAN

• Admin
Crawley Town manager John Gregory is stepping down from his position with the League One club to undergo major open heart surgery. Ex-Wolves and Doncaster manager Dean Saunders has been named interim boss.

54a16ecc94936.jpg

Accurate, but woops...

That would be loanee Jacob Murphy.

• Admin
Wigan owner Dave Whelan has been given a £50,000 fine and six-week ban from football-related activities for his comments on Jewish and Chinese people. Last month, Whelan accepted a charge but denied making racist remarks. The 78-year-old had requested a non-personal hearing from the Football Association who gave the punishment. However, the FA Disciplinary Commission said it was "satisfied" that Whelan "is not a racist" and did not intend to cause offence by his comments. Whelan, who has seven days in which to appeal, must also complete a programme of education provided by the FA.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we ditched the diamond and should have won if the referee hadn't left his cards at home and Silvestri knew how to catch a ball. Still a point away from home seemed like a pipe dream a fortnight ago

Well, that was shite. To sum up:

I don't mind us playing direct but its pointless when we have two forwards that are 5"10. When we brought our 6"4 striker on (in the last 5 minutes :bang:) we suddenly started winning everything in the air up front. And our fullbacks were really awful today, barely 5 crosses beat the first man. So many crosses that didn't beat the first man and one that didn't even make it into the penalty box, it ended up near the centre circle. And our left back Dossena was pants. Always out of position, always ball watching and couldn't cross at all.

And to top it off the linesman bottled a penalty decision right at the death of the game. He was 10 yards away at most. I was 20 yards away and I could see it.

Pfft.

God, are we actually turning into a football team again? 2-0 down 15 minutes from the end and we end up nicking a point in the 95th minute. Superb comeback (even if it was instigated by ex-Rover Joe Mills getting sent off) and gives us more confidence heading into a crucial FA Cup replay.

Great result and performance away at Forest yesterday. As poor as they were, Wednesday played very well and should have scored four or five.

Four points off the playoffs, don't see us getting there however as a) we don't score anywhere near enough and b) the squad's pretty small compared to most of the other sides in and around there.

Turning into a decent season for Boro, after relegation last year I thought we'd be returning to non-league football after a couple of years of punching above our weight but the team stabilised and look okay. Stevenage teams, especially under Westley, tend to traditionally be stronger after christmas so sitting outside the play offs at this time could be an interesting couple of months ahead, although I'd still take petering out and finishing comfortably mid table after my expectations this year!