Destiny

Dan

It plays differently than Halo? The controls are almost identical.

...it's an FPS. Left trigger aim, right trigger fire, A to jump, X to interact, etc. Identical controls is hardly an argument for it playing exactly like Halo. Like I said, there's a Halo vibe with certain things, but overall I think it's shaping to feel quite different enough than Halo ever felt.

Played a few missions tonight with Dragsy and, having heard a comparison of 'Halo meets Borderlands', I can see that. Game seems really cool with all the gear to find, upgrades for it, quite a sizable list of abilities to unlock, secrets to find on the maps etc.

I'm just hoping the environments are expanded in the full game as the generic Earth landscape with crashed planes did seem to be repeated everytime.

Well it is an MMO, WoW is still running after like a decade. It's stupidly optimistic to assume your new IP will reach that level of popularity, but it's not unheard of.

The funny thing is that they have a 10 year plan for a console only game, when it's become pretty apparent that PC is the only platform with that level of longevity.

Yeah, I actually found it about 2 minutes after I posted on here. It's rather fun, and surprisingly more intense than I thought it would be. Won both the games I was in by very short margins (The first game was won by me neutralising one of the posts (H) ).

I wasn't really bothered about the game prior to the beta, but considering how much fun I've had, I'm definitely gonna be picking this up when it comes out.

Thus far:

The warlock's ability is nice, but takes some getting used to due to it not going exactly where your crosshair is and instead kind of arcs and eventually plummets a bit close to you. The grenade is okay, but I'd imagine it'd be better for when enemies are in tight spaces and would remain in the area of effect. the jump ability is pretty sweet, though.

The Hunter I liked running and pressing crouch to do a quick slide and meleeing enemies. I got the sniper rifle from the loot thing during the opening mission and loved it. The grenade is pretty nice as well. The jump ability is pretty basic but definitely useful.

EDIT: Unlocked the Hunter ability and it's pretty nice, but definitely something you need to be sure you can pull off within the following few seconds. I think I may actually like the Hunter more than the Warlock currently.

Edited by Vitamin E

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else picking this up tomorrow at launch? I can't wait...even booked Wednesday/Thursday off to try and keep pace with everyone else early on.

I'll be playing with friends from work at the beginning but would definitely be up for an EWB fireparty if anyone's getting the PS4 version?

Also looks like I'll only be able to get the standard version. Anyone know if the extra content will be DLC straight away?

My favorite part of it is they've also gone on to say "Hey, whoa now, initial reviews might be off. They need more time to play it to really understand!"

Maybe you should've let review copies go out early rather than holding off until the day before release then! :P

That said, despite only kind of enjoying the beta, I've got a copy coming from Amazon. This game drought has hit me pretty damn hard.

It's fairly standard for MMO's to do that, isn't it?

Well yeah, but you don't get to cry about reviews maybe not being fair when you don't give reviewers a chance to do their job. It's fairly anti-consumer to not give people a chance at having a clear view of what they're buying. It's an MMO thing, but I wouldn't argue that makes it okay.

A beta is an unfinished product, though. Sure, Destiny went more the way of "it's a beta but really it's just a slice of the game", but it's still a beta. You can't judge an entire game on a few hours of a possibly 60 hour+ game, where you don't have any access to the whole product.

I think it's fair to. It's essentially going to be more of the same surely?

I think the problem maybe stems from people who'll be doing a bit of solo'ing. They want to know it'll be accessible to them and not impossible unless you're in a 3 man party. Whereas I had a blast playing with friends and am sold regardless of having a review or not.

Edited by Captain New JaPenn