Destiny

Dan

Destiny-Logo.jpg

Releasing September 9th on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Beta is currently running on all platforms and is fucking awesome!

It's like an evolution of the Halo games. It feels like someone has taken the best bits of Halo and thrown in RPG elements to create what likely could be Game of the Year.

Who is playing the beta? I'm currently a level 6 warlock - just unlocked bounties which is pretty cool.

• Like 1

I played the Alpha which as far as I can tell, without the opening mission to explain the story better.

I would say it's the best bits of Halo with the annoying parts taken out, and I love the way the hub system works. The game itself is going to be pretty great. The multiplayer Arena fights or whatever they're called (traditional multiplayer) feel so tacked on and meh. It's not the strength of the game so I'mma just ignore that party totally.

Only played the first mission earlier before the Xbox disconnected me from live (seriously getting annoyed with it, because it disconnects me fairly often the first time I boot up the Xbox a day, and I have to shut it off and turn it back on before it's fine) and I just did a mission with a friend before Live cut out again (seems like it may be down in general, as it won't connect me back on at all despite my internet being fine).

It seems nice thus far. I definitely see some things and instantly think of Halo (the Ghost reminded me of Guilty Spark). Not that it's bad, but I think I'll be doing that a lot since it's Bungie. My first character is an Awoken Warlock, and I think I'll make an Exo Hunter and Human Titan at some point as well to try them out. I'd imagine the game would look even better on current gen, but on the 360 it still looks really nice, environment wise.

I'm hoping they add a bit more customization with characters (it's still good as is) and maybe getting to select a voice for your character (though I can understand if that isn't an option).

Also, what's the level cap on the Beta, anyone know?

Edited by Vitamin E

It's great, Alpha was fun, Beta was fun, sadly they removed Dinklage's best line.

That part glitched for me last night - I missed a VERY SPECIFIC checkpoint and when I got to the door he was supposed to unlock it was .. just already unlocked and I carried on from there without him the whole mission.

Is it the "That's a wizard... FROM THE MOON!" or whatever? I'm still unimpressed with how bored he sounds the whole time.

That wizard came from the moon! Except apparently now be doesn't.

There appear to be options for color customization for all the gear, it's just not accessible on the beta.

They're opening it to everyone now! Someone play ye olde 360 version with me sometime.

It's funny, this wasn't really on my radar before but seeing brief snippets of it and hearing the general buzz around it, it's got me kinda interested. Looking forward to trying it out.

There's definitely a Halo vibe there - mainly because it's Bungie - from the whole "alien race fighting against Earth" thing to "mysterious artifact" to the Ghost thing having Guilt Spark qualities (mainly I just see Guilty with the eye, but meh). Still, having a few different classes to choose from is nice, the UI I really love (moving a cursor around instead of cycling up/down through menus works rather well on console), being able to choose whether to play a mission at level on normal or a higher level version on hard, and getting to just join up with random people in the area to work together for a mission make for an interesting game.

I did another mission a bit ago before Xbox yet again disconnected me, so I'll try again later. Might end up just starting an Exo Hunter to at least try it. I doubt at this rate I'll even be able to reach level 8 with my Warlock before the beta ends.

Well, I think it plays differently enough from Halo. I haven't really gotten too into the story so I don't know, but gameplay wise I'd say it's different. I mean, it's still an FPS so there's only so much you can do. It's just certain things remind me of Halo is all.

Edited by Vitamin E

I've had a blast on it and I think it's great. Level 3 Warlock at the moment, so I may reset and try it with a new character.

There's definitely a Halo vibe to the game, but it feels fresh, so if you didn't care for Halo you should still give it a shot.

Plus, you know, dancing.