The Hateful Eight

GoGo Yubari

ooooooh

The "Hateful Eight" roadshow will find the movie screening in about 100 or so theaters (or that's the goal) that are 70 mm projection.  And, before you get concerned there will eventually be a traditionally release in 3,000 or so theaters. The roadshow engagements will likely include an intermission and audiences will receive a physical program.

Edited by GoGo Yubari
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

10 minutes ago, GoGo YubaRey said:

I'm going to a 7pm showing of the roadshow cut on Christmas Day too. No assigned seating so I have no clue what I'm in for yet,

A movie!

Edited by Maxx

• 2 weeks later...

Loved it.  I was constantly wondering where the hell the movie was going, but the performances were great.  As much as I love Kurt Russell and how great Walter Goggins and Tim Roth were but Demain Bichir's character Senor Bob was my absolute favorite part of the entire movie for reasons I cannot possibly explain.

On 1/10/2016 at 11:04, Arjen Robben said:

Saw it earlier, enjoyable, if a bit self-indulgent.

Tarantino

I liked it, but I get a lot of the problems people have with it, particularly Tarantino's continuing fetish with the n-word. Certainly historically accurate, but a movie with one black dude and only 8 other characters, probably shouldn't have as many uses of the word as Django. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zero said:

Tarantino

I liked it, but I get a lot of the problems people have with it, particularly Tarantino's continuing fetish with the n-word. Certainly historically accurate, but a movie with one black dude and only 8 other characters, probably shouldn't have as many uses of the word as Django. 

Yeah, I can't watch Tarantino movies anymore. It isn't exclusively just the language stuff. I just think Tarantino is the safest director making movies today. He makes a certain type of movie and rarely ever deviates. I don't want to call him untalented, because he certainly has more talent as a filmmaker than I do. But I certainly would like to see him get out of his comfort zone. 

Spoiler

Also sick of him injecting himself in to his films. Was so jarring an out of place to suddenly fling himself in here as a narrator with a sudden new device that felt just as out of place.

And yeah, the constant use of a certain racial epithet needs to stop, it's just unnecessary to use it. We get it, they're not nice possible, you don't need to keep hammering that home. I'm past the point of buying the "but realism! they talked like that!" reasoning as well, nothing else about his films is realistic really, it's all really over the top with an emphasis on style over realism, so why does it have to be "BUT REALISM!" when it comes to throwing that word about non-stop.

Loved the experience of seeing it in 70mm, but had a lot of problems with the film, but I'm overlooking them a bit because of the experience. It was pretty entertaining, but didn't have a whole lot to say. Some fantastic sequences, some kind of boring ones. Some incredible dialogue, some not-so-great use of language and obsession with violence without merit. Definitely worth seeing, especially if you can catch the film version, but not up there with his best.