Sign in to follow this  
Lint

Robin Williams reportedly dead

Liam Mk2    3,139

That ending to Aladdin will get me every single time now.

Takes on a terrible new meaning.

:-(

Gutted by this news, no disrespect to anyone else who has passed recently, but this has to be up there as one of the most shocking unbelievable celebrity deaths in several years (probably since Michael Jackson)

The guy could be a laugh riot and he could also be a serious dramatic actor, he had such great range. Don't know what else to say, still coming to grips with it.

RIP Robin, so many great roles you made your own, you'll be deeply missed :crying:

Pizza    11,088

I don't like posting in these, but this has affected me more than I think any other celebrity death. This is awful. Heart goes out to his family.

Owen    4,425

I just finished watching the episode of Louie that featured Robin Williams a couple of hours ago... :\

Robin Williams has starred in some great, great movies and he shall be remembered for a long time to come, dammit :(

Gungner    60

I am genuinely shocked... Like seriously shocked.

When I saw the news, I ran my fingers through my hair and dropped a tear.

I guess it's true that behind the laughter, we find the most tormented souls.

Oh captain, my captain - Rest in peace!

james_ewing88    148

I'm...i'm just...i'm crushed. Robin Williams has always been my favorite comedian and always will be. Every movie of his I watched, I loved. Hell, his appearance on SVU awhile back was great, as well. Just like with the Lion King (my father was killed, so Mustafa's death always gets me), i'll never be able to watch Aladdin, again. I'll just break down at the end. Like has been said before, there will NEVER be another man as energetic and funny as Robin Williams.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Williams...you will be missed...

The Banshee Fork    4,931

An amazing actor with incredible range. Even though he'll always be known for his comedy roles and his stand up which is absolutely amazing, he did really well in the more serious roles as well. It's sad to see anyone die but when he was as big a part of some of our childhoods as Robin Williams was, it makes it even worse. This is so saddening. :(

tristy    2,899

I think tonight, I'm going to watch my favorite drama of his that he's done - Insomnia. It helps that Al Pacino and Hilary Swank are fantastic in it, and Alaska's weird seasons gives the whole film a different mood, but goddamn is Robin Williams just fantastic in this. I know the usual drama to point to when talking about him is One Hour Photo, but I think this is right behind it honestly. It might be kind of depressing in hindsight, since it's a dark role, but I love the movie and I just want to feel the feels!

Jumanji, of course, is on the cards as well. Flubber, Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting... and my second favorite movie of his, Death to Smoochy. I can honestly say I've never done a marathon of movies when an actor/actress dies, but I feel this is appropriate for some reason. :(

buck...    32

His stand up always sideswiped his problems....but, he was so damn funny you didn't think of the real problems underneath.

Summers    6,304

A huge loss. He was such a great person.

stokerino    10,074

I actually have no idea how I would break this to Stokerina.

Lars Kuyt    1,496

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTllG2KdPMQ

I think that I will watch some Robin Williams this week.

I always loved him as a child, Alladdin, Hook, Jumaji, Flubber and the list goes on. :(

Also, I feel the need to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Op1TaXmCw

Plubby    3,131

Do both of you have Facebook?

1): Put a video of cats being cute on your feed

2): Tell her to go check out the video of cats on your feed

3): Let her discover it via someone else

4): Walk away blame-free.

stokerino    10,074

You're a git. :shifty:

I had to wake her up and tell her before I left for work, so that she would have someone to hug when she found out. If it weren't already obvious, she has a tendency to take deaths of her favourite celebrities really hard - and Robin Williams is literally her favourite of all time.

This made it worse when I gently told her "there's been a celebrity death that will make you really sad", and she immediately guessed some of her nearly-most-favourite names (e.g. Anthony Hopkins), but not him. Ouch...

But yes, she demanded hugs and will probably spend the rest of the day watching his movies now.

• Like 2

Walker    5,624

Absolutely gutted. Day ruined and it isn't even 8AM yet. One of the all-time great comedy actors that became such a respectable straight actor as well. Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society and Good Morning Vietnam are amongst my favourite films and Hook, Flubber, Jumanji and Mrs Doubtfire were childhood favourites. I've got a soft spot for Bicentennial Man and One Hour Photo as well. I am not reading any further into it than "found dead" because from the looks of things the circumstances are leading to something very depressing, I'm going to skip all that for now.

Lint    11,058

One of my favorite standup bits of his:

One of my favorites

Lint    11,058

hate to double post...but

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/conan-obrien-found-out-about-robin-williamss-death-duri-1619916339

As news of actor Robin Williams's death spread Monday night, Conan O'Brien was wrapping up his show, which would air a few hours later. When Conan learned what had happened, he took a couple of minutes before the taping finished, and broke the news to the audience.

"I'm sorry to anyone in our studio audience that I'm breaking this news," a visibly emotional O'Brien said. "This is absolutely shocking and horrifying."

Andy Richter and guest Will Arnett also reacted and remembered Williams.

"He was an amazingly kind and generous person, and it's got to be a terrible time for his family, and our thoughts go out to them," Richter said.

"As funny as he was, he was truly one of the all-time greats," Arnett said. "He was even better as a person."

Colly    13,783

You're a git. :shifty:

I had to wake her up and tell her before I left for work, so that she would have someone to hug when she found out. If it weren't already obvious, she has a tendency to take deaths of her favourite celebrities really hard - and Robin Williams is literally her favourite of all time.

This made it worse when I gently told her "there's been a celebrity death that will make you really sad", and she immediately guessed some of her nearly-most-favourite names (e.g. Anthony Hopkins), but not him. Ouch...

But yes, she demanded hugs and will probably spend the rest of the day watching his movies now.

Your 'break it to her gently' move was to play Guess Who's Dead? My word.

Spookily I was randomly watching the last half hour of Night at the Museum last night, presumably as the news was breaking. Very sad.

• Like 1

stokerino    10,074

Your 'break it to her gently' move was to play Guess Who's Dead? My word.

She interrupted me with guesses! I didn't want to shout over her "SHUT UP YOU FOOL IT'S ROBIN WILLIAMS". <_<

• Like 5

Benji    43,320

Reminds me of The Watchmen anecdote.

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed, life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor" He says, "I am Pagliacci."

I don't really know how to react, he was probably the first actor I ever knew as a kid to be one of my favourites, and learning that he died of suicide upsets me more than I can say. What an amazing man he was. Every story I've ever heard about him is positive, every anecdote told about him made him sound somehow more than human. This is a guy who, when people recognised him but were too shy to say hello, would go up to them, make them comfortable and make them laugh. This is an amazing man that's died today, and whilst the world seems a little darker without him, it's a hell of a lot brighter because it had him in it.

• Like 1

Hello    9,800

A huge loss. He was such a great person.

This, not sure what else I can say, just reading things about him, he seemed like a genuinely wonderful dude.