Football Manager 2015

Dan

Not everything is as directly conflicting as that though. I mean, you can set your team up to play high tempo, direct passing, retain possession and drop much deeper. I'm not sure those 4 instructions would work particularly well together and that's before throwing your overall mentality into the mix.

I think the game could be a little kinder to newer (and younger?) players, just by telling them how each of these instructions will work with the other. I can imagine a lot of people's frustrations come from not understanding why their team can't keep the ball for toffee, can't create chances etc. The game gives you very little feedback in that regard.

Doesn't retain directly contradict direct? Direct is long balls and retain means keeping the ball to your player's feet, pretty sure retain only works alone or with short passing.

Not everything is as directly conflicting as that though. I mean, you can set your team up to play high tempo, direct passing, retain possession and drop much deeper. I'm not sure those 4 instructions would work particularly well together and that's before throwing your overall mentality into the mix.

I think the game could be a little kinder to newer (and younger?) players, just by telling them how each of these instructions will work with the other. I can imagine a lot of people's frustrations come from not understanding why their team can't keep the ball for toffee, can't create chances etc. The game gives you very little feedback in that regard.

Doesn't retain directly contradict direct? Direct is long balls and retain means keeping the ball to your player's feet, pretty sure retain only works alone or with short passing.

It may well do. Not in front of FM to check, I just picked 4 of the first instructions the came to mind to be fair.

I think there's a lot they could do to make the tactical side more accessible/welcoming for people. Even as someone who's played most iterations, I still groan to myself when I have to set up a new tactic.

I just leave all the tactics. They are boring. I do the formation, choose the player roles and the mentality. And during the match I will do touchline shouts as and when my assistant manager tells me to.

And I still get better results than most of you who try and do it the hard way. ::/

• Like 3

My assistant manager is such a numpty during the match (and, in fact, the rest of the time as well). He'll suggest one thing and then suggest something entirely contradictory five minutes later. Never listen to him.

I do use tactical instructions but at a fairly crude level - I have 6 or 7 on which form my standard "try to win the match" set, and when I want to just not concede, I will change maybe 4 of them (and switch from 'Control' to 'Contain') as my "KILL THE GAME" set.

• Like 1

Instructing Memphis Depay to shoot more often seems to be working - he just scored 4 (3 of them were beauties) in a 7-0 win over Everton. Admittedly, they went down to 10 men at 1-0, but still, take nothing away from him! He's got 10 in 10 appearances for me so far.

So it's the end of 2023/24, and I don't think Ronaldo has gotten the memo that he's 39 years old and really should be thinking about retiring one of these days...

e0b71e94b1fdc7f3d64311cddda5fbb6.jpg

Yet he's still banging them in like it's nothing...

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

I'm getting kinda tired of winning everything at Brentford. I wanted to see if my 4-4-1-1 tactic was transferable to a world class team in year 1 so I started a game with Real Madrid. It's stupidly easy now with Ronaldo and Bale filling the wing roles and having Isco and James to interchange the AM role. I'm smaching ever team in front of me easier than anything. I'm gonna keep that tactic and try to hop around Europe winning every league title!

For tactics I look around the forums to see what general shapes are working for the people who dedicate their lives at tactics any given season. I then study some of the higher rated ones to make my own better ones from their findings. I set my basic formation, set player roles and keep trying/failing with instructions until I hit the sweet spot and build teams around the player roles I've set. I don't think I've ever played 3 at the back regularly, it kind of scares me and signing that many centre backs is boring!

Went from a 4-2-3-1 to a asymmetrical 4-3-1-2 to a flat 4-4-1-1 that's absolutely beating the piss out of teams.

See:

2nhkr51.png

I've found that a midfield of

W (A) - CM (D) - BBM (S) - W (A)

With the wingers instructed to cut in and shoot often, (left footed RW and right footed LW) playing behind a combination of an F9/Trequarista, AM/Trequarista or Trequarista/Complete forward works very well. I have Pione Sisto on the left with ludicrous long shot, speed and dribbling ratings so he's perfect for me!

I'm getting kinda tired of winning everything at Brentford. I wanted to see if my 4-4-1-1 tactic was transferable to a world class team in year 1 so I started a game with Real Madrid. It's stupidly easy now with Ronaldo and Bale filling the wing roles and having Isco and James to interchange the AM role. I'm smaching ever team in front of me easier than anything. I'm gonna keep that tactic and try to hop around Europe winning every league title!

For tactics I look around the forums to see what general shapes are working for the people who dedicate their lives at tactics any given season. I then study some of the higher rated ones to make my own better ones from their findings. I set my basic formation, set player roles and keep trying/failing with instructions until I hit the sweet spot and build teams around the player roles I've set. I don't think I've ever played 3 at the back regularly, it kind of scares me and signing that many centre backs is boring!

Went from a 4-2-3-1 to a asymmetrical 4-3-1-2 to a flat 4-4-1-1 that's absolutely beating the piss out of teams.

See:

2nhkr51.png

I've found that a midfield of

W (A) - CM (D) - BBM (S) - W (A)

With the wingers instructed to cut in and shoot often, (left footed RW and right footed LW) playing behind a combination of an F9/Trequarista, AM/Trequarista or Trequarista/Complete forward works very well. I have Pione Sisto on the left with ludicrous long shot, speed and dribbling ratings so he's perfect for me!

So you cheat?

Good to know.

:shifty:

For tactics I look around the forums to see what general shapes are working for the people who dedicate their lives at tactics any given season. I then study some of the

So you cheat?

Good to know.

I like to see the discussions on the different formations people are building!

I'll admit I'm not the creator the 4-4-1-1 formation! I guess I'll have to try an innovative 0-2-5-4 no keeper formation to be a true tactical genius! :P

I have no real rules that I set myself when it comes to FM, but I try not to sign players that loads of others have signed for their team because their future potential is ridiculous. And when it comes to tactics, I'll always come up with something myself. I've never as much as had a peek online at what formations/roles/instructions work, and which ones don't - I find all that out on my own.

For tactics I look around the forums to see what general shapes are working for the people who dedicate their lives at tactics any given season. I then study some of the

So you cheat?

Good to know.

I like to see the discussions on the different formations people are building!

I'll admit I'm not the creator the 4-4-1-1 formation! I guess I'll have to try an innovative 0-2-5-4 no keeper formation to be a true tactical genius! :P

True genius in the making. I look forward to the posts :P

I don't look at tactics, I do look at players if I'm honest. My core signings can be similar at times, but usually with a few variables thrown in.

My first three signings for United are English - Grealish, Kane and Clyne. All 3 join me in January. I went English in the first season because whilst registering players, the home grown thing popped up and I found that with the amount of players I had to register, a lot of them were players I wouldn't want in the long run (Smalling, Cleverley, Young etc.), so if I got rid of them, I'd need to replace them with domestic signings. I've sold Nani, Rafael and Chicharito, so all in all, I've made a net spend of around £30m, which was mostly on Kane (£20m but a potential to rise to £36m depending on a number of factors).

Again, I have no idea what kind of player Grealish, or indeed Clyne turns into. Read here the other day that Kane has been made into a beast since the January update, but I kinda found that out myself when he was scoring for fun early in the season, and his stats are great for a 21 year old.

Have all the principles you want with not signing the same players, but if you have the ability to activate Pione Sisto's £4.5mil release clause before Barcelona or Real do and don't, then you're gonna have a bad time.

I only realised existed after my scouts finding him in year 5 and having to pay £20mil for him from Barca. <_<

Same goes for splashing out the circa £14mil for Midfield Jesus or Youri Tielemans as he's better known!

Also Grealish is Irish! At least in FM he is :(

Edited by TCO