Football Manager 2015

Dan

Has anyone tried that tactic created by Miles Jacobson (it's available in the Sega Humble Bundle right now)? I don't have the game to test it out, but is it supposed to be some kind of cheat tactic or just a template that makes things more accessible for newcomers?

I bet it's a blank 4-4-2, complete with this hand written note from Miles.

ngbbs4d9e5c7fb9b5c.jpg

Franklin has stolen a march on me a little bit, but I'll ask anyway.

I haven't really played FM since FM '08, which I played to a ludicrously obsessive level. Computer problems and life mean this is the first FM I'm really considering buying since then, just wondering if it's still functionally the game it was back then, and is worth a purchase?

I'm hoping it won't take me too long to get up to speed with all of the features I'm unfamiliar with - I was always particularly negligent of the training side of the game for instance.

You can't compare 08 with 15, because there has been a massive change in the past 7 years.

The entire tactics system is different now, no more sliders. Scouting has changed, coaching has changed. You get more input from your staff members, especially your assistant.

The match engine (for better or worse) has been completely revamped, and aside from nagging issues it's better than it ever was.

This year there was also an overhaul of your own manager. Like Jack above said, your manager now has his own attributes just like every other backroom member. You can make it as easy/hard as you will, you can still make him a former pro with a FIFA pro license that gives you an extremely high attribute range... Or you can be like me, and go with no coaching license, and sunday league history, which gives you fuck all in attributes and challenges you to somehow sweet talk your board into giving you coaching coarses to become better.

You can now give touchline instructions, and there is more focus on personal instructions than ever. Finally formations and tactics are set up using ''player roles'', which pretty much ranges from poachers to False Nines and everything in between.

If you loved the crap out of FM08, it's gonna take a while to get into FM15. But it's a much more in depth game than 7 years ago, and for the most part it's a much better game too.

And as a final argument... There's a 6-month demo out! http://www.footballmanager.com/demo

Edited by Jasonmufc

Can anyone recommend any decent away day tactics in the PL? My home form is excellent with Norwich, but I'm struggling to pick up points on the road.

Away from home I'm playing 4-1-2-2-1 (4-3-3 with a holding midfielder and wingers)

Maybe play more compact and more defensively away from home. You can't really attack away from home against comparable or better sides, you tend to get eaten up.

So a more low down 4-1-4-1 that's focused on countering and frustrating the opponent away from home, rigid defense with little closing down and players staying on their feet, to force the opponent to shoot it from range more often than not.

Since most teams tend to attack at home, a counter tends to work pretty well at getting a goal. When you can't score a goal, you just try to keep them off the ball by playing a hyper-possession game of passing it around endlessly until they get frustrated.

You can designate pretty much anything training wise, along with a whole host of other stuff. The biggest change to training is that the game now allows you to count as a coach, which is pretty vital especially at smaller clubs.

That's good, hopefully that new aspect will enable me to at least get my head around the training side of it a bit.

You can't compare 08 with 15, because there has been a massive change in the past 7 years.

The entire tactics system is different now, no more sliders. Scouting has changed, coaching has changed. You get more input from your staff members, especially your assistant.

The match engine (for better or worse) has been completely revamped, and aside from nagging issues it's better than it ever was.

This year there was also an overhaul of your own manager. Like Jack above said, your manager now has his own attributes just like every other backroom member. You can make it as easy/hard as you will, you can still make him a former pro with a FIFA pro license that gives you an extremely high attribute range... Or you can be like me, and go with no coaching license, and sunday league history, which gives you fuck all in attributes and challenges you to somehow sweet talk your board into giving you coaching coarses to become better.

You can now give touchline instructions, and there is more focus on personal instructions than ever. Finally formations and tactics are set up using ''player roles'', which pretty much ranges from poachers to False Nines and everything in between.

If you loved the crap out of FM08, it's gonna take a while to get into FM15. But it's a much more in depth game than 7 years ago, and for the most part it's a much better game too.

And as a final argument... There's a 6-month demo out! http://www.footballmanager.com/demo

Thanks for all that Jason - much appreciated! I had a brief dabble with FM11 but not too in-depth, the press conferences were one of the striking changes then (and the 3D engine but I've never liked the idea of that in the FM series) but I imagine it's changed a lot in four more iterations from even that game now.

The 'Player Roles' aspect of tactics sounds good, I always thought more in-depth work was needed on the formations/tactical side of things. What is in places nowadays instead of sliders?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this game up once the semester is finished, hopefully the game will not have moved on too far for me to get back into it again.

You can designate pretty much anything training wise, along with a whole host of other stuff. The biggest change to training is that the game now allows you to count as a coach, which is pretty vital especially at smaller clubs.

That's good, hopefully that new aspect will enable me to at least get my head around the training side of it a bit.

Thanks for all that Jason - much appreciated! I had a brief dabble with FM11 but not too in-depth, the press conferences were one of the striking changes then (and the 3D engine but I've never liked the idea of that in the FM series) but I imagine it's changed a lot in four more iterations from even that game now.

The 'Player Roles' aspect of tactics sounds good, I always thought more in-depth work was needed on the formations/tactical side of things. What is in places nowadays instead of sliders?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this game up once the semester is finished, hopefully the game will not have moved on too far for me to get back into it again.

Buttons. I won't say it's more in depth with the new system, but it tends to be more obvious when you want to achieve something.

Here's a screenshot of the team instructions screen.

c6046a080ac6e8ad7377d0db82f99303.png