Formula E

Lineker

• Admin

Formula E begins this Saturday morning in Beijing, live on ITV4. Should definitely be worth watching.

Overview
  • There will be 10 teams, 20 drivers, and 40 cars
  • Each team will include 2 drivers and 4 cars
  • e-Prix will be held in 10 cities across the world
  • Racing circuits will be held in cities, and will be approximately 2.5 km to 3 km long
  • Cars will accelerate from 0 km/h to 100 km/h in 3 seconds, with a maximum speed of 220 km/h
  • Noise decibel levels will be approximately 80 dB(SPL) (ordinary car: 70 dB; bus: 90 dB; Formula One track 130 dB)
Events
  • Early morning: free practice session, followed by qualifying
  • Late morning: qualifying 1 lap time each driver with both cars A and B
  • Afternoon: a 2-hour break to recharge the cars
  • Evening: the race, with 2 stints and 1 pit stop
  • Pit stop will involve a change of car: when the battery runs out a driver will make a planned pit stop and switch into a new fully charged car
  • Races are planned to be 45 minutes in length.
Car

For the first season, all teams have been supplied an electric racing car built by Spark Racing Technology, called the Spark-Renault SRT 01E. The chassis has been designed by Dallara, with an electric motor developed by McLaren (and is the same as that used in its P1 supercar), a battery system created by Williams F1 and a Hewland five-speed gearbox. Michelin will be the official tyre supplier.

Teams and drivers

23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngVirgin Racing
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png#2 Sam Bird
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png#3 Jaime Alguersuari

23px-Flag_of_India.svg.pngMahindra Racing
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png#5 Karun Chandhok
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png#21 Bruno Senna

23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngDragon Racing
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png#6 Oriol Servià
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png#7 Jérôme d'Ambrosio

23px-Flag_of_France.svg.pnge.dams Renault
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png#8 Nicolas Prost
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png#9 Sébastien Buemi

16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.pngTrulli GP
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png#10 Jarno Trulli
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png#18 Michela Cerruti

23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.pngAudi Sport ABT
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png#11 Lucas di Grassi
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png#66 Daniel Abt

19px-Flag_of_Monaco.svg.pngVenturi Grand Prix
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png#23 Nick Heidfeld
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png#30 Stéphane Sarrazin

23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngAndretti Autosport
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png#27 Franck Montagny (Rounds 1-2) / 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Jean-Éric Vergne (Round 3)
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png#28 Charles Pic (Round 1) / 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Matthew Brabham (Rounds 2-3)

23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.pngAmlin Aguri
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png#55 Takuma Sato (Round 1) / 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png António Félix da Costa (Rounds 2-3)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png#77 Katherine Legge (Rounds 1-2) / 23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Salvador Durán (Round 3)

23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China Racing
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_#88 Ho-Pin Tung (Rounds 1-2) / 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Antonio García (Round 3)
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png#99 Nelson Piquet, Jr.

Calendar

13th September 2014
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_Round 1 - Beijing ePrix (Beijing Olympic Green Circuit, China)

22nd November 2014
23px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.pngRound 2 - Putrajaya ePrix (Putrajaya Street Circuit, Malaysia)

13th December 2014
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.pngRound 3 - Punta del Este ePrix (Punta del Este Street Circuit, Uruguay)

10th January 2015
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.pngRound 4 - Buenos Aires ePrix (Puerto Madero Street Circuit, Argentina)

14th March 2015
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngRound 5 - Miami ePrix (Biscayne Bay, FL, USA)

4th April 2015
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngRound 6 - Long Beach ePrix (Long Beach Street Circuit, CA, USA)

9th May 2015
19px-Flag_of_Monaco.svg.pngRound 7 - Monte Carlo ePrix (Circuit de Monaco, Monaco)

30th May 2015
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.pngRound 8 - Berlin ePrix (Berlin Tempelhof Airport, Germany)

27th June 2015
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngRound 9 - London ePrix (Battersea Park, UK)

This really couldn't go in the General Motorsports thread?

Sorry Mr. Mod.

Oh, wait...

I like that this is 'Formula drivers who couldn't get enough sponsorship to stay in F1'.

• Like 1

I was literally looking at the list and thinking "ooh, I bet (insert ex-F1 driver) will be in it...there they are!".

The fan vote thing sounds fucking retarded though. Three drivers will each get what's effectively a KERS boost to use in the race based on social media votes. I'm willing to bet that Heidfeld, Sato and Trulli all get it to begin with by virtue of being the three biggest names.

I think that it's a good idea, but in practice I can only see it ending up like A1GP, especially with such an overly long season so spread out.

I was literally looking at the list and thinking "ooh, I bet (insert ex-F1 driver) will be in it...there they are!".

The fan vote thing sounds fucking retarded though. Three drivers will each get what's effectively a KERS boost to use in the race based on social media votes. I'm willing to bet that Heidfeld, Sato and Trulli all get it to begin with by virtue of being the three biggest names.

I think that it's a good idea, but in practice I can only see it ending up like A1GP, especially with such an overly long season so spread out.

Reddit are already looking to rig the voting to make sure the worst driver on the grid will get the boosts.

If they manage to do that, I would certainly enjoy seeing the last placed guy suddenly have a shot, rather than the actual top guys getting an even bigger advantage.

That being said, I'm interested in following this alongside F1. I'm just wondering if I can find myself a good quali/race stream, since the Dutch aren't gonna be broadcasting this.

A friend of mine has been working on the TrulliGP car (formerly Drayson racing) for the past few months and is now responsible for the safety car, etc. He's in China now for it. Been looking forward to this since I heard about it because of him.

• Admin

di Grassi wins for Audi.

Prost was leading the whole race, Heidfeld went to overtake him on the final corner; Prost gave him no room, and Heidfeld was sent flying through the air. Super dramatic - will post a video when it appears online. Montagny was also superb.

Really entertaining stuff - you can tell that it will be even more exciting next year when every team can develop their own cars. The car changeovers during the pit stops were rather funny though.

The highlights air on ITV4 at 6pm this evening.

Jesus christ that crash was insane. It's amazing that Heidfeld is ok because that was really really scary.

What the fuck was Prost thinking?! He literally just smashes himself into side of Heidfeld's car.

Man I really need to find a way to rewatch this back, because it looks like it was a pretty fun race aside from that last lap drama.

Anyone know of a way to find it?