Dramatic moments in sport

Lineker

• Admin

The BBC Sport website has a poll up on the live Sportsday page asking what do you think is the most dramatic sporting moment*.

What are some of EWB's favourites? For me, it's a no-brainer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMusajtjxbs

My first cup final that I saw in person. Allan Nielsen scoring a 90th minute winner with a bullet diving header.

*On the poll are...
Geoff Hurst's goal for England v Germany in the final minute of the 1966 World Cup final
Muhammad Ali v George Foreman in the "Rumble in the Jungle", 1974
Michael Thomas' Division 1-winning goal for Arsenal against Liverpool at Anfield, 1989
Buster Douglas v Mike Tyson for the undisputed heavyweight championship, 1990
Ole Gunnar Solskjær's treble-winning goal for Manchester United v Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League final
Australia v South Africa in the semi-final of the 1999 Cricket World Cup
Goalkeeper Jimmy Glass scoring a last-minute goal to keep Carlisle in the Football League in 1999
David Beckham's free-kick for England against Greece in 2001
Jonny Wilkinson's winning drop-goal for England v Australia in the 2003 Rugby World Cup
England's two-run win over Australia in the 2nd Ashes Test at Edgbaston, 2005
Lewis Hamilton winning the F1 Drivers' Championship in 2008 on the final corner of the Brazilian Grand Prix
Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer's five-set epic in the 2008 Wimbledon final
John Isner and Nicolas Mahut's marathon 11-hour match at Wimbledon, 2010
Europe's comeback to beat USA in the Ryder Cup at The Miracle at Medinah
Sergio Aguero's last-minute Premier League-winning goal for Manchester City in 2012
  • Like 1

I can't really look past Istanbul.

I don't think I've ever watched anything as dramatic. I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout the whole thing. I remember exactly where I was and who I was watching it with. I can't even pick out anything specific, the entire match was just pure drama. 3-0 down at half time, Gerrard's header, Xabi Alonso's penalty miss then tape in, Smicer's goal, Dudek's impossible save, it was just unbelievable.

• Like 1

I'm kind of going to have to submit Chelsea's Entire 2011/12 Champions League Campaign, because honest to God it was all just so ridiculous (certainly from Napoli onwards). It's very difficult to choose.

Even if you slimmed that down to, say, Only Moments Involving Petr Cech, you've still got a few. Let alone others from Drogba, Torres, Ramires, etc.

There are loads, but one from the Olympics stands out (as I was there).

It was the Quarter-Finals of the Men's handball tournament. Iceland were silver medalists from the previous games and some people's favourites overall for gold this time out. They were against Hungary.

It was 27-26 to Iceland, who were given a penalty with 15 seconds of the game to play. The Hungarian keeper saved the pen, then passed the ball out for a counter attack which lead to the Hungarians equalising with 2 seconds to spare, taking it to overtime. An absolutely amazing experience. What's more, after double overtime, Hungary wound up winning 34-33!

I'm kind of going to have to submit Chelsea's Entire 2011/12 Champions League Campaign, because honest to God it was all just so ridiculous (certainly from Napoli onwards). It's very difficult to choose.

Even if you slimmed that down to, say, Only Moments Involving Petr Cech, you've still got a few. Let alone others from Drogba, Torres, Ramires, etc.

That's a good shout actually.

Goooaaaaaaaaaaaaalll-ohhhhhhhhHHhHhHhHhHHHHhhhhhhh.... UN-BE-LIEVABLE!

How can an 11 hour game of tennis be a moment?

Personally, I'd like to add Hatch saving that late penalty to secure a draw for the Allies, and from the 'saw it live' category Tiote's left foot volley. Utterly ridiculous, never to be repeated, wonderful.

2013 Premier League title, literally coming down to the last two minutes of play for the season and pipping their fiercest rivals into the bargain. That must have been pretty damned magical for Man City fans.

So magical for how they came in second? :P

I can't really look past Istanbul.

I don't think I've ever watched anything as dramatic. I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout the whole thing. I remember exactly where I was and who I was watching it with. I can't even pick out anything specific, the entire match was just pure drama. 3-0 down at half time, Gerrard's header, Xabi Alonso's penalty miss then tape in, Smicer's goal, Dudek's impossible save, it was just unbelievable.

See, I wanted to say this, but I didn't wanna' come off as one of those football fans that only remembers their own teams' moments, and so think the entire sports landscape revolves around it.

See what I mean :shifty:

Speaking of American sports, this was particularly memorable for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUkUCknT90

I'm not a Giants fan by any means, but this was made all the more dramatic by the underdogs vs megastars dynamic coming into the match, not to mention the fact that the Patriots were just over a minute away from a perfect season. It looked for all the world as though Eli Manning was about to be taken down, but quite how he managed to slip out and throw a pinpoint pass in traffic, caught against the wide receiver's helmet, was quite astonishing at such a late stage of the game.

• Like 3