365 Albums In 365 Days

Benji

Conversely, I loved The Hunting Party and thought it was a big step up from Living Things. Don't know if that's just me, but I just never really 'got' most of the songs on LT, whilst I really like the slightly more aggressive take on THP.

Personal rankings for their discography:

Hybrid Theory > Meteora > The Hunting Party > A Thousand Suns (full album) > Minutes to Midnight > A Thousand Suns (individual) > Living Things

That'll probably shuffle around a lot as I finish their discography off for this list though. HT and Meteora swap a lot depending on what mood I'm in, and MTM occasionally creeps up.

Oddly I felt the opposite, Living Things' songs were it's best aspect, but it's cohesion as an album was the problem. If I was going to rank them in combination of both singles and album combo:

Collision Course > A Thousand Suns > Hybrid Theory > Minutes to Midnight > Living Things > Meteora > The Hunting Party

As I said, Hunting Party isn't bad, I just find it very mediocre, and the first time it doesn't feel like their sound has grown (which for all intents and purposes sounds like it was intentional).

Conversely, I loved The Hunting Party and thought it was a big step up from Living Things. Don't know if that's just me, but I just never really 'got' most of the songs on LT, whilst I really like the slightly more aggressive take on THP.

Personal rankings for their discography:

Hybrid Theory > Meteora > The Hunting Party > A Thousand Suns (full album) > Minutes to Midnight > A Thousand Suns (individual) > Living Things

That'll probably shuffle around a lot as I finish their discography off for this list though. HT and Meteora swap a lot depending on what mood I'm in, and MTM occasionally creeps up.

Oddly I felt the opposite, Living Things' songs were it's best aspect, but it's cohesion as an album was the problem. If I was going to rank them in combination of both singles and album combo:

Collision Course > A Thousand Suns > Hybrid Theory > Minutes to Midnight > Living Things > Meteora > The Hunting Party

As I said, Hunting Party isn't bad, I just find it very mediocre, and the first time it doesn't feel like their sound has grown (which for all intents and purposes sounds like it was intentional).

I'd forgotten about Collision Course, which was fantastic, that'll probably end up being album #21 now. Add in all the extra stuff they released for LP Underground and their discography is near impossible to do a full ranking on.

Cohesion was definitely an issue with Living Things, which may be why I don't like it. Hunting Party flowed really well in my opinion, plus it has the slightly heavier sound I like, as I mentioned. My rankings are all fairly close to each other; I already said they shift frequently. I may end up seeing it your way in a week or so when I get round to Living Things again.

1.) Royal Blood by Royal Blood.

2.) Concrete Love by Courteeners.

3.) Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon.

4.) Great Divide by Twin Atlantic.

5.) So Long See, Tomorrow by Bombay Bicycle Club.

6.) Inside In Inside Out by The Kooks.

7.) Jesus Piece by The Game.

8.) Live Life Living by Example.

9.) Come Of Age by The Vaccines.

10.) Art Of Peer Pressure by Kendrick Lamar.

11.) X by Ed Sheeran.

12.) No Sound Without Silence by The Script.

Forgot to update yesterday, and both of these were yesterday's listens (today I just had a random playlist on for my commute).

1. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (going home, Thursday)

2. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (to work)

3. Get Hurt, The Gaslight Anthem (going home)

4. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (Today, at home) - 4/10/14

5. Because the Internet, Childish Gambino

6. Facelift, Alice in Chains

7. Sap (EP), Alice in Chains

8. Racecar is Racecar Backwards, Reuben (going to work)

9. Racecar is Racecar Backwards, Reuben (going home, decided to listen again as I didn't quite make it to the end in the morning)

10. EP, Childish Gambino

11. Culdesac, Childish Gambino

12. Gentlemen, Afghan Whigs (currently)

13. Royal Blood, Royal Blood

14. Black Gives Way to Blue, Alice in Chains

1. 'Royal Blood' by Royal Blood

2. 'Amaryllis' by Shinedown

3. 'The Hunting Party' by Linkin Park

4. 'Save Rock and Roll' by Fall Out Boy

5. 'City of Evil' by Avenged Sevenfold

6. 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' by Kasabian

7. 'This Is War' by Thirty Seconds to Mars

8. 'Uno!' by Green Day

9. 'Dos!' by Green Day

10. 'Tre!' by Green Day

11. 'American Idiot' by Green Day

12. 'Lateralus' by Tool

13. 'Velociraptor' by Kasabian

14. 'A Thousand Suns' by Linkin Park

15. 'Avenged Sevenfold' by Avenged Sevenfold

16. 'All This Bad Blood' by Bastille

17. 'Only Revolutions' by Biffy Clyro

18. 'Infinity on High' by Fall Out Boy

19. 'Pure Heroine' by Lorde

20. 'The Seldom Seen Kid' by Elbow

21. 'Collision Course' by Linkin Park & Jay-Z - Incredibly good mash-up album, top notch stuff. Worth a listen if you're a fan of either, and if you're not, listen to Numb/Encore anyway, because it's fantastic.

22. 'Time to Burn' by Taking Dawn - Lesser known band who I think have since renamed themselves Seventh Son since this came out, but it's good rock with a few catchy riffs. I like it, but I would completely understand why people wouldn't.

And now to stop listening to music because I'm burning through this way too quickly.

EDIT: There's also a cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' on Time to Burn, which is divisive based on reviews I've read, but I really like it.

1. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

2. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

3. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

4. Gorillaz - Demon Days

5. Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On

6. Lorde - Pure Heroine

7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

8. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

9. Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

10. Half-Japanese - Overjoyed

11. Mimicking Birds - Eons

12. Blonde Redhead - Barragan

13. Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

I will give another listen to Mimicking Birds, really glad I have found them, a similar sound to Modest Mouse. It's definitely one of my favourites in this list. Blonde Redhead was pretty bad, quite disappointing. But I understand their new album isn't at all like their old stuff, the new stuff is more stripped back and during a transitional period. After listening to two new bands, went with an album I listened to before. Humbug is an underrated album of the Arctic Monkeys. Hell, I think it's probably their best, or second best album. I love the sound on this album. Josh Homme was a good influence.

Sure, let's do this.

1. Cunninlynguists - Strange Journey Vol.3

Really great release from a group that I always find to be one of the most consistent, yet underappreciated groups/artists in hip-hop. Some great sampling, good guest spots (Del the Funkey Homosapien especially) and a good album to just leave on late at night.

2. Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

So great. Milo's verses are just...interesting to listen to. You can tell the guy is deep into Mira Gonzalez and it means he sometimes swings and misses but the general production and feel of the album is incredible. Another one to put on through headphones late at night

3. Doves - Lost Sides

B-Sides from around the time of their first album but assembled as a cohesive tracklist. Expert dream pop, catchy and just gorgeous at times. Doves are an awesome band and you should all listen to them.

1. Brown Sugar - D'Angelo (Oct 6th)
2. Aquarius - Tinashe (Oct 6th)
3. The Score - Fugees (Oct 6th)
4. Turn Blue - The Black Keys (Oct 6th)

5. X - Chris Brown (Oct 7th)

6. Pure Heroine - Lorde (Oct 7th)

7. Fear of a Black Planet - Public Enemy (Oct 7th)

8. Internal Affairs - Pharoahe Monch (Oct 8th)

9. Pastel Blues - Nina Simone (Oct 8th)

10. (Self-titled) - Mýa (Oct 8th)

11. Young Sinatra: Welcome to Forever - Logic (Oct 8th)

As for notes... Pastel Blues was amazing. Only ever heard the Strange Fruit sample in Kanye's Blood on the Leaves, so hearing the original piece gave me goosebumps. X was okay. Haven't heard Welcome to Forever in quite a while, and really enjoyed it. Got me amped for Logic's debut album later this month.

On the CunninLynguists front, I think I'm going to listen to Oneirology tomorrow. I've been told it's very good.

Edited by Tyrone

365 Albums, 365 Days

*Albums that I end up really enjoying and saving to my Spotify account will be fully bolded, comments only on new additions.

1. Kid A (2000) by Radiohead. October 7th, 2014

2. Is This It (2001) by The Strokes. October 7th, 2014

3. The Blueprint (2001) by Jay-Z. October 7th, 2014

4. Elephant (2003) by The White Stripes. October 8th, 2014

5. New Wave (2007) by Against Me!. October 8th, 2014

6. The Queen is Dead (1986) by The Smiths. October 8th, 2014

I realized before I was only looking at a Top 200 of the 2000’s list so I’ve switched over to pick. I’ve been meaning to listen to The Smiths for a while, as I’ve only heard a solo Morrissey album in full. Huge fan of this, but then again I had no doubt that once I actually got around to it I was going to enjoy it.

7. Hunky Dory (1971) by David Bowie. October 9th, 2014

Bowie is in the same vein as the Rolling Stones for me - I know a lot of his music, but I don’t think I’ve heard an album from front to back. I’m happy that I’m starting in this era of Bowie though - probably going to be the easiest to stomach for me. This turned out to be true, I enjoyed the experience and there’ll likely be more Bowie on here further down the line.

8. No Pads, No Helmets… Just Balls by Simple Plan (2002). October 9th, 2014

Funny story. I came across this album as I was looking for something else to listen to - I haven’t heard this in a decade. I clicked on it and here we are. There’s nothing really all that much to say about this one. I can’t believe these guys were the age I am NOW when they wrote and performed this.

9. Sylvan Esso by Sylvan Esso (2014). October 9th, 2014

I found a website that gives me a random album - I hope it goes back a decent distance for releases - either way this is the first album that popped up, and it’s on Spotify so I decided to give it a listen. I didn’t really find it anything special until the electronic music really started to kick in and it really started to remind me of music from Earthbound and similar games of my childhood in some parts. The vocals I’ve heard a bit too much (and this isn’t a bad thing, it’s still good - it just doesn’t stand out to me), but the music is more than enough to put this duo on my watchlist.

10. The Rockville LP by O.A.R. (2014). October 9th, 2014

I have no clue how I first found Of A Revolution - but the second this popped up I instantly remembered the song I used to have, That Was A Crazy Game Of Poker. That was ages and I had idea they were still around either. Turns out it’s not all that different sounding than a Train album with the theme of ‘mature people having mature relationships’ as a central theme for a lot of the songs. I saved a few songs off this one, but not the whole album. I’m a sucker for a band/song callout track so Favorite Song was added for sure.

11. Talking Dreams by Echosmith. October 9th, 2014

Another random selection - a group of four siblings with a really 80’s inspired sound. And then out of the blue track 3 hits and I recognize that ‘Cool Kids’ song from the radio. All in all, I really enjoyed the album.

12. Funeral by Arcade Fire (2004). October 9th, 2014

This was bound to happen - it’s been a long time since I first meant to sit down and really listen to Arcade Fire but it eventually worked its way up to the point where I figured it could never live up to. Luckily, I’m a sucker for strings and excellent melodies so I really enjoyed this - especially the four Neighbourhood songs. The other half of the album was no slouch either.

1. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (going home, Thursday)

2. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (to work)

3. Get Hurt, The Gaslight Anthem (going home)

4. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (Today, at home) - 4/10/14

5. Because the Internet, Childish Gambino

6. Facelift, Alice in Chains

7. Sap (EP), Alice in Chains

8. Racecar is Racecar Backwards, Reuben (going to work)

9. Racecar is Racecar Backwards, Reuben (going home, decided to listen again as I didn't quite make it to the end in the morning)

10. EP, Childish Gambino

11. Culdesac, Childish Gambino

12. Gentlemen, Afghan Whigs

13. Royal Blood, Royal Blood

14. Black Gives Way to Blue, Alice in Chains

15. Old Crows/Young Cardinals, Alexisonfire

16. Crisis, Alexisonfire

It's been such a long time since I listened to Alexisonfire, Ioaded up iTunes and saw them in front of me (being A) and immediately got one of their songs in my head. I couldn't decided which album to listen to, so I've listened to both.

I'd recommend Kno's 'Death is Silent' album too. A side project but quite similar in sound.

1. Cunninlynguists - Strange Journey Vol.3 (8/10/14)

2. Milo - a toothpaste suburb

3. Doves - Lost Sides

4. Ty Segall - Manipulator

The falsetto in "Tall Man/Skinny Lady" is a frontrunner for hook of the year. Love the tight, dry drums. Probably a little bit on the long side as it becomes a bit samey toward the end but when he hits, he knocks it out of the park.

5. Darren Korb - Transistor

Another long album and this time, unlike Bastion, I haven't played the game so have very little attachment to all of it. Some nice ideas though and the tracks with vocals keep the standard of Bastion's OST, albeit with a more electronic focus.

6. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

Took a break from 2014 albums to listen to this again. It's definitely the weaker of the first 3 (Port of Morrow is in its own poor category) and The Shins got worse as they got a bigger production budget but the one-two punch of Sleeping Lessons/Australia is as good as it gets in my heart of hearts.

7. Timbre Timbre - Hot Dreams

Sounds like Nick Cave trapped IN a cave. Not sure I can get into it fully.

Edited by Jordan Stiva

1. Cavalier Youth by You Me At Six

2. Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

3. Contra by Vampire Weekend

4. Blood Red Shoes (Self titled album)

5. Spreading Rumours by Grouplove

6. Kerrang! does American Idiot by Various Artists

7. Electogram by Vinyl Theatre

8. Hesitant Alien by Gerard Way- Not really sure what to say about this. Didn't expect much from it so I guess I'm pleasantly surprised. Completely different to MCR but not in a bad way. I think it's one that will grow on me the more I listen to it.

Maybe Royal Blood next, seems to be a popular choice.

1.) Royal Blood by Royal Blood.

2.) Concrete Love by Courteeners.

3.) Satellite Flight: The Journey To Mother Moon by Kid Cudi.

4.) Great Divide by Twin Atlantic.

5.) So Long See, Tomorrow by Bombay Bicycle Club.

6.) Inside In Inside Out by The Kooks.

7.) Jesus Piece by The Game.

8.) Live Life Living by Example.

9.) Come Of Age by The Vaccines.

10.) The Art Of Peer Pressure by Kendrick Lamar.

11.) X by Ed Sheeran.

12.) No Sound Without Silence by The Script.

13.) Common Courtesy by A Day To Remember.

14.) Do You Wanna Start A War by Fozzy.

15.) Magna Carta...Holy Grail by Jay Z.

16.) Hesitant Alien by Gerard Way.

Common Courtesy is a really decent album from a band I didn't know much about I saw these at Leeds Festival, and man they delivered a mint show playing mainly songs from this album not listened through fully but it was worth it.

Do You Wanna Start A War was pretty meh was okay but they've done better.

Magna Carta...Holy Grail is a mint album from top to bottom love the collaborations with JT and Frank Ocean.

Hesitant Alien was what it was it was okay very different to MCR stuff which is a good thing.

Edited by Dang117

365 ALBUMS IN 365 DAYS

1. Smashing Pumpkins - 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'

2. Royal Blood - 'Royal Blood'

3. At The Drive-In - 'Relationship of Command'

4. The Mars Volta - 'De-Loused in the Comatorium'

5. Joe Bonamassa - 'Different Shade of Blue'

6. Devin Townsend - 'Ocean Machine'

7. Cave In - 'White Silence'

8. Smashing Pumpkins - 'Adore'

9. Weezer - 'Everything Will Be Alright In The End'

10. Gerard Way - 'Hesistant Alien'

11. The Gaslight Anthem - 'Handwritten'

12. Lorde - 'Pure Heroine'

13. Lana Del Rey - 'Ultraviolence'

14. Lower Than Atlantis - 'Lower Than Atlantis'

15. Fatherson - 'I Am An Island'

16. Deftones - 'Koi No Yokan'

17. TesseracT - Altered State

18. Weezer - Red Album

19. Deftones - Around the Fur

1. 'Royal Blood' by Royal Blood

2. 'Amaryllis' by Shinedown

3. 'The Hunting Party' by Linkin Park

4. 'Save Rock and Roll' by Fall Out Boy

5. 'City of Evil' by Avenged Sevenfold

6. 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' by Kasabian

7. 'This Is War' by Thirty Seconds to Mars

8. 'Uno!' by Green Day

9. 'Dos!' by Green Day

10. 'Tre!' by Green Day

11. 'American Idiot' by Green Day

12. 'Lateralus' by Tool

13. 'Velociraptor' by Kasabian

14. 'A Thousand Suns' by Linkin Park

15. 'Avenged Sevenfold' by Avenged Sevenfold

16. 'All This Bad Blood' by Bastille

17. 'Only Revolutions' by Biffy Clyro

18. 'Infinity on High' by Fall Out Boy

19. 'Pure Heroine' by Lorde

20. 'The Seldom Seen Kid' by Elbow

21. 'Collision Course' by Linkin Park & Jay-Z

22. 'Time to Burn' by Taking Dawn

23. 'The Rising Tied' by Fort Minor - A must for any Linkin Park fans. Side project of Mike Shinoda's with a couple of guest stars, and it's top notch stuff.

24. '48:13' by Kasabian - As with all Kasabian, the singles are great, the rest is pretty average.

1. Cavalier Youth by You Me At Six

2. Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

3. Contra by Vampire Weekend

4. Blood Red Shoes (Self titled album)

5. Spreading Rumours by Grouplove

6. Kerrang! does American Idiot by Various Artists

7. Electogram by Vinyl Theatre

8. Hesitant Alien by Gerard Way

9. Royal Blood by Royal Blood- Amazing, really really liked it. There's no bad songs, though the ending of "Loose Change" is a bit off putting when wearing headphones.

Listened to Hesitant Alien again and it gets better each time. Not sure what's next, maybe some Courteeners.

365 Albums in 365 Days

1. 'From Here to Now to You' by Jack Johnson (3rd October 2014)

2. 'V' by Maroon 5 (3rd October 2014)

3. 'Uno!' by Green Day (4th October 2014)

4. '... Like Clockwork' by Queens of the Stone Age (4th October 2014)

5. 'Let Them Talk' by Hugh Laurie (5th October 2014)

6. 'Most Messed Up' by Old 97s (5th October 2014)

7. 'Royal Blood' by Royal Blood (5th October 2014)

8. 'Cheek To Cheek' by Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett (5th October 2014)

9. 'Pure Heroine' by Lorde (6th October 2014)

10. 'Resurrection' by New Found Glory (7th October 2014)

11. 'The Hunting Party' by Linkin Park (8th October 2014)

12. 'Dos!' by Green Day (9th October 2014)

13. 'Run The Jewels' by Run The Jewels (10th October 2014)

Greenday's 'Dos!' was okay, much like 'Uno!' it was probably better overall than Uno, and featured a couple of stand out tracks in 'Fuck Time' (which is just so silly I couldn't help but love it) and 'Amy', but still not anything that blew me away.

Added Run The Jewels' self-titled album under the suggestion of PRP/RPS when I wanted some more modern rap music. A lot of songs had a really good rhythm and rhyme to start with, but they decided to add breaks and changes to flow where none belonged. 'Sea Legs', 'Get It', 'Twin Hype Back', and 'Job Well Done' were probably my favourite tracks and could make it on my regular playlist given enough listens, but I'd imagine they'll be mood dependent.

1. Royal Blood - Royal Blood. :(N): Sounds like QOTSA for the mall.

2. Weezer - Everything Will be Okay in the End. :(N): Not entirely terrible.

3. Ariana Grande - My Everything. :(N): Good voice, everything else mediocre.

4. Lorde - Pure Heroine. :(Y): I felt old listening to her, but I'd tell my niece to listen to her.

5. U2 - Songs of Innocence. :(N): uninspired, going through the motions.

6. Ty Segall - Manipulator. :(Y): The guy sounds like he has is having lots of fun.

7. Johnny Marr - Playland. :(N): Great guitars, everything else was meh.

8. The 2 Bears - The Night is Young :(Y): Fun, sexy, light hearted dance music.

9. Kele - Trick. :(N): Takes itself too seriously.

10. Thom Yorke - Tomorrows Modern Boxes. :(N): Not as smart as he thinks he is.