365 Albums In 365 Days

Benji

Yeah, I think it's pretty good. It's really well produced and has some really interesting collaborations on, although I think I prefer their first album. Someone else could probably put it a lot better, but it's kind of electronic. I'd say just give some stuff a listen and see what you think, I'm a big fan.

Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers

I listened to this on the underground today. I do this thing where I load up my phone with albums every weekend, pretty much at random. Then I'll listen to whatever album comes up on shuffle. Today it was this one.

I think I'd only actually listened to it once before. It's quite good; fairly rough and raw. Jackie Collins Existential Question Time is a really special song. The title track, She Bathed Herself In a Bath of Bleach and Marlon JD are strong tunes as well. Let down by four acoustic songs that trudge along without really getting anywhere, but they're just boring rather than dreadful.

• Like 1

1. 'Royal Blood' by Royal Blood

2. 'Amaryllis' by Shinedown

3. 'The Hunting Party' by Linkin Park

4. 'Save Rock and Roll' by Fall Out Boy

5. 'City of Evil' by Avenged Sevenfold

6. 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' by Kasabian

7. 'This Is War' by Thirty Seconds to Mars

8. 'Uno!' by Green Day

9. 'Dos!' by Green Day

10. 'Tre!' by Green Day

11. 'American Idiot' by Green Day

Seeing Benji listen to Uno! made me want to give it a replay, and then I wound up listening to all three. Then I listened to American Idiot to make myself feel better about that.

Seriously, as nice an idea as it was, they could easily have trimmed the three albums into one, as I have done below:

1. Oh Love (Uno)

2. Let Yourself Go (Uno)

3. Kill The DJ (Uno)

4. Carpe Diem (Uno)

5. Lazy Bones (Dos)

6. Wow That's Loud (Dos)

7. Stray Heart (Dos)

8. Ashley (Dos)

9. X-Kid (Tre)

10. Sex, Drugs & Violence (Tre)

11. The Forgotten (Tre)

Personal opinion, of course.

Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers

I listened to this on the underground today. I do this thing where I load up my phone with albums every weekend, pretty much at random. Then I'll listen to whatever album comes up on shuffle. Today it was this one.

I think I'd only actually listened to it once before. It's quite good; fairly rough and raw. Jackie Collins Existential Question Time is a really special song. The title track, She Bathed Herself In a Bath of Bleach and Marlon JD are strong tunes as well. Let down by four acoustic songs that trudge along without really getting anywhere, but they're just boring rather than dreadful.

Fair assessment. I've always skipped the acoustic tracks if I'm cherry picking songs from Journal. The album is also a not-really sequel to 'The Holy Bible', which is a classic. Highest recommendation for that.

Anyway,

365 ALBUMS IN 365 DAYS

1. Smashing Pumpkins - 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'

2. Royal Blood - 'Royal Blood'

3. At The Drive-In - 'Relationship of Command'

4. The Mars Volta - 'De-Loused in the Comatorium'

5. Joe Bonamassa - 'Different Shade of Blue'

6. Devin Townsend - 'Ocean Machine'

7. Cave In - 'White Silence'

I'm gonna try this, but I'm going to use it to listen to bands I haven't listened to before or albums by bands I haven't listened to in a while. I almost exclusively listen to electronic and hip hop, so it'll be a lot of rock and pop music. I'll also give a short review of it. Everything streamed online.

1. Royal Blood - Royal Blood. :(N): Sounds like QOTSA for the mall.

2. Weezer - Everything Will be Okay in the End. :(N): Not entirely terrible.

3. Ariana Grande - My Everything. :(N): Good voice, everything else mediocre.

4. Lorde - Pure Heroine. :(Y): I felt old listening to her, but I'd tell my niece to listen to her.

1) Perfume Genius 'Too Bright' - Interesting, not my usual cup of tea but his voice and the sparse use of instruments add up to a worthwhile listen.

I'd also not been aware that I'd heard one of his songs on the radio the other day, so that was a surprise.

Using Metacritic initially to get my first lot of albums to listen to.

2) Earth 'Primitive and Deadly' - Brilliant. Love the use of Mark Lanegan and a couple of other guest vocalists to just add an extra layer. Dark, but beautiful.

3) Jack Johnson 'From Here To Now To You' - checked this out after I saw Benji had listened to it. Like some Jack Johnson, but haven't listened to him in years. Interesting, more up tempo music that I really enjoyed.

4) Anthony and The Johnsons 'I Am A Bird Now' - this was perfectly fine, though not as good as I might have expected. 'Hope There's Someone' is still a killer song though.

5) Elliot Smith 'XO' - liked what I heard. Was busy marking so it was mostly being used as background music.

Lorde gets a lot of play value in my car. Sometimes I feel embarrassed by that but I love her voice.

I was surprised by the album. I thought it'd be an album full of pop-EDM garbage and Royals was a one-off. But the albums sparse production is such a welcome turn for pop music right now. I don't think I'd ever listen to her debut album again, but I'm intrigued to see where she goes next.

1. 'Royal Blood' by Royal Blood

2. 'Amaryllis' by Shinedown

3. 'The Hunting Party' by Linkin Park

4. 'Save Rock and Roll' by Fall Out Boy

5. 'City of Evil' by Avenged Sevenfold

6. 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' by Kasabian

7. 'This Is War' by Thirty Seconds to Mars

8. 'Uno!' by Green Day

9. 'Dos!' by Green Day

10. 'Tre!' by Green Day

11. 'American Idiot' by Green Day

12. 'Lateralus' by Tool - Fantastic album. Parabol/Parabola and Lateralus are absoultely awesome.

13. 'Velociraptor' by Kasabian - Good singles, not sure on the rest. I feel a Greatest Hits of Kasabian would be great, as their singles are fantastic and the rest is kinda average.

14. 'A Thousand Suns' by Linkin Park. Their experimental concept album. As a full album, I love it, but individually, the actual songs on it are strong. Stuff like Wisdom, Justice, and Love doesn't work outside of a full album listen.

Neat idea, moved my Record Player down to my new flat yesterday so might give this a whirl. Won't be all new music, just album's as and when I play them/listen to them on youtube.

1. Cavalier Youth by You Me At Six- Not as good as Sinners Never Sleep but it's a good album which sounds good live (Reading) and also good on Vinyl.

2. Vessel by Twenty One Pilots- I love Twenty One Pilots and this is my favourite record that I own. Awesome sound.

3. Contra by Vampire Weekend- Picked it up on Vinyl fairly cheaply and I like it a lot, it's really chilled out, epecially "Run," and "Giving Up the Gun."

Yeah, this is going to get real nerdy. I decided to add a little extra stuff, besides a review, to make it even clearer what I thought about whatever album of the day I've chosen.

KEY
RED = LOOKING FORWARD TO
GREEN = ARTIST UNKNOWN
ORANGE = HESITANT
^ = BETTER THAN EXPECTED
- = AS EXPECTED
˅ = WORSE THAN EXPECTED
x. Aphex Twin, "Selected Ambient Works 85 - 92"
x. Aphex Twin, "Richard D. James Album"
1. Aphex Twin, "Syro" -
> Pleasantly surprised that he hit up a sound that reflected Selected Ambient Works, without sounding dated. There was not too much adventure to be found, though, but Syro is still a masterful return album for Aphex Twin. I hope he does not disappear again.

• Like 2

Started October 4th:

1. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

2. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

3. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

4. Gorillaz - Demon Days

5. Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On

6. Lorde - Pure Heroine

7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

• Reflektor is probably the worst Arcade Fire album, but it's still a good album.
  • Lonesome Crowded West is pretty great.
  • BBC have improved in the last few years, although I do miss songs in the vein of "Emergency Contraception Blues" and "Evening/Morning".
  • Demon Days starts well, the middle is pretty terrible and the ending few tracks are solid.
  • I would love another Eagles of Death Metal album.
  • I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed Lorde.
  • Random Access Memories was decent, it did not live up to the hype.

Today I've just been sat in finding motivation to do job applications, and came across the following band/albums which I realised I hadn't listened to in aaaaages, so decided to stick them on.

1. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (going home, Thursday)

2. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (to work)

3. Get Hurt, The Gaslight Anthem (going home)

4. The 59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (Today, at home)

5. Because the Internet, Childish Gambino

6. Facelift, Alice in Chains

7. Sap (EP), Alice in Chains

Started October 4th:

1. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

2. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

3. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

4. Gorillaz - Demon Days

5. Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On

6. Lorde - Pure Heroine

7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

• Reflektor is probably the worst Arcade Fire album, but it's still a good album.
  • Lonesome Crowded West is pretty great.
  • BBC have improved in the last few years, although I do miss songs in the vein of "Emergency Contraception Blues" and "Evening/Morning".
  • Demon Days starts well, the middle is pretty terrible and the ending few tracks are solid.
  • I would love another Eagles of Death Metal album.
  • I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed Lorde.
  • Random Access Memories was decent, it did not live up to the hype.

Even if it's improved, BBC have never been close to anything from their first album for me. They were always the best songs to see live; and while the production got a lot better, they just lost that sense of fun which the first album kinda encapsulates.

1) Perfume Genius 'Too Bright' - Interesting, not my usual cup of tea but his voice and the sparse use of instruments add up to a worthwhile listen.

I'd also not been aware that I'd heard one of his songs on the radio the other day, so that was a surprise.

Using Metacritic initially to get my first lot of albums to listen to.

2) Earth 'Primitive and Deadly' - Brilliant. Love the use of Mark Lanegan and a couple of other guest vocalists to just add an extra layer. Dark, but beautiful.

3) Jack Johnson 'From Here To Now To You' - checked this out after I saw Benji had listened to it. Like some Jack Johnson, but haven't listened to him in years. Interesting, more up tempo music that I really enjoyed.

4) Anthony and The Johnsons 'I Am A Bird Now' - this was perfectly fine, though not as good as I might have expected. 'Hope There's Someone' is still a killer song though.

5) Elliot Smith 'XO' - liked what I heard. Was busy marking so it was mostly being used as background music.

6) Mariachi El Bronx 'Mariachi El Bronx' - Just really fun. Always heard good things, but was skeptical heading in. Well worth a look.

1. Carry On The Grudge - Jamie T

2. Innerworld - Electric Youth

3. Wonder Where We Land - SBTRKT

4. Hesitant Alien - Gerard Way

5. Youth Culture Forever - Paws

6. Summer Camp - Summer Camp

7. Drenge - Drenge

8. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 - Eminem

9. From Under The Corktree - Fall Out Boy

1.) Royal Blood by Royal Blood.

2.) Concrete Love by The Courteeners.

3.) Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon by Kid Cudi.

4.) Great Divide by Twin Atlantic.

5.) So Long See, You Tomorrow by Bombay Bicycle Club.

Was disappointed by Kid Cudi's latest effort, definitely not even close to his best. Twin Atlantic were a surprise for me at Leeds Festival and I absolutely love their album they are such a good band. Love this album they have certainly improved and I am another one that has finally seen what the fuss is all about, love the songs home by now and eyes off you

Edited by Dang117