Alien: Isolation

brenchill

I keep getting lost and not being able to work out what the fuck I'm meant to be doing. I really suck at these sorts of games as I'm totally unable to create a mental map of where I've been.

This is exactly my problem. I had to watch a walk through of the first mission just to find out where I was going.

I also had a bug on the initial intro mission where the crew wouldn't speak to me so I spent ages just wondering around aimlessly.

Use the map, it's not perfect but certainly on the first part it should point you in the right way as it's not so labyrinthine. Didn't really find it to be slow myself but I went in not expecting to see the alien for a while, not that it stopped me running for cover thinking it was there earlier. Especially with all the "caught something out of the corner of my eye" tricks they use. Navigation, certainly early stages especially, is hard and I wandered around one area several times before spotting the trapdoor I was meant to go into but it's kind of right, you have no idea where you're going and nor should you, never been here before. With time you grow more familiar with certain areas of the ship and know where you're going so can move quicker through them, of course, that's how it will catch you out later on.

Edited by lanky316

I've heard a ton of people say they aren't enjoying the game and I always ask them one question. Were you a bigger fan of Alien or Aliens? Because this game pretty much acts like Aliens doesn't exist. This is pure fan service to Alien fans. No, you aren't going to kill an Alien in the entire game. You aren't going to unload a magazine into a Xeno and see it explode and die. You are nothing in this game, and I love it for that. I love the Alien series, especially the first, so it was amazing to be able to play through something that channels the first. Sure, this isn't an action packed game and it isn't supposed to be. This is purely a stealth survival horror game and it does exactly what its supposed to do.

If you can, I suggest playing this with a nice headset and in the dark. No way you can not be scared in this game.

I enjoyed it and it had plenty of callbacks to the first movie, which I appreciated.

I don't think the map design is so bad. The game reminds me of Metroid in the sense that you have to explore to see where you are supposed to go. Plus, the motion tracker tells you where to go when you use it. I do agree that the objectives can be a bit confusing at times, but just use the tracker and you'll be fine.

See I hated Metroid for the same reason. I don't like games that punish me for having no sense of direction. I don't need that simulated, I can just try and drive somewhere without my Sat Nav.

It isn't the objectives being confusing it's more that they are ridiculously obtuse 'access this room' with no hint of how you might do this, then spend two hours wandering around in circles trying to work it out.

• Like 2

I'm probably one of the few that actually kinda liked Colonial Marines, because for all it's faults it was a fun enough time waster. Granted it could have and should have been so much better but hell I like Aliens, the story was alright and as I said, it was fun enough blasting through a mission here and there when I had some spare time.

I was a little tentative about this game as even though I liked CM well enough. it was far from perfect (or even very good for that matter) and like Brody suggested, I'm more of a fan of Aliens over Alien and this was always going to be more of an Alien game.

• Like 1

It isn't the objectives being confusing it's more that they are ridiculously obtuse 'access this room' with no hint of how you might do this, then spend two hours wandering around in circles trying to work it out.

Use the map, as long as you update it in new areas you'll be fine. It signposts things much better as "Access this room" is supported by "Oh and by the way there's something you may want to look at over here, it could be useful"*. If you're in the area and you can't find it, it's either a floor above or below you. It doesn't make you run through the game on rails but it's not stupidly obtuse either. It's also much easier when you get the motion tracker as that tells you where to go. There's just a danger of it alerting something hearing the beeping.

*it doesn't show vents or trapdoors but you can hear vents and if you're in an area and struggling, look down in the area

Edited by lanky316
  • Like 1

I likened it a lot to Outlast - I told myself I've never play that due to body horror being one of the things that freaks me out the most, but I've watched playthroughs of it and I'd call it similar. I have to say, the Alien is a total game changer though.

That being said, I'm just not the kind of gamer who can handle going back and doing the same thing three or four times because of how unpredictable the Alien is. The easy difficulty for him just seems to make him near sighted, not show up less which is what I was hoping for to keep the tension going. When I'm barely 1/3 through the game and he's crawling all over me at all times I just don't think it's that fun anymore. I figured I was going to beat it in a week and get my money back and put it on something else but - probably just going to do it without the game being finished because I'm not really that scared anymore, just annoyed.

I do have to mention how bitter sweet this is though - because the game is god damn beautiful. It looks amazing and it feels amazing with a lot of detail put into every little bit of it. Even the intro with the retro 20th Century Fox bit is a great touch.

• Like 1

Started this the other night and got to mission three (of like, eighteen!? jeez!). I think the perfect way to describe Isolation is that fucking atmosphere. Holy shit, it just nails the feel of Alien. The jump scares aren't what get you, it's the intense feeling of anything could be coming at any time that's creepy. I'd wager the weakest parts of the game are the parts with other people around, because I'm always so creeped out by being alone.

I don't like the amount of humans around, it really goes against what they're aiming for. I get they wanted some diversity of enemies, but the Working Joe's and the Alien itself do plenty. I don't really fancy avoiding people, it's just a bit of a chore. I actually like the setting and exploring more than anything else, so I've dropped the difficulty down to easy. I just figure I'll save myself the frustration and enjoy the story being told, because that's really what I'm here for.

I think it might frustrate horror game players, but as someone approaching it as a hardcore Alien/s fan, that doesn't care for horror games... it's wonderful.

So far it's the best use of the franchise since 1986. Or 92, depending on how you feel about Alien 3. Though I'd argue this actually works better in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Also, the fucking microphone in the controller is amazing with this and the light. It's weird how those two little things add so much, but turn the lights off and whip out the motion sensor. Between the vibration, the flashing green and the noise coming from the controller, it's like actually having the damn thing in your hands. Awesome idea executed perfectly.