Hatred

Lint

On the surface, Day Z is a survivalist game against zombies. Some players who have managed to do well have now started to demand new players do insane things in order to survive. Started out by having them dance naked, fight another new player with the survivor joining the clan, etc. As with a lot of things, though, it's gone further.

I think it's important to maintain the same perspective in these games that is required to complete a lot of horror games (Hatred's twist being that you are the horror.) It can seem a bit twisted, but this is junk food gaming. Rockstar's trying to put some sort of soul to it, but I'm of the opinion that they have yet to pull it off. You can't internalize games like these because it can be very detrimental to you and others.

• Like 1

Wait what was the day z thing? I read the wiki and dont get what you mean. Isnt it a bare bones zombie survival game?

There's a system where, if you eat spoiled food you can get sick - some people hold people at gunpoint (and if you die, you lose your stuff so people tend to comply) and then have them eat poison fruit and stuff. The 'bleach' or as it's called in the game, disinfectant spray also has uses other than drinking it or having others do so, but naturally it makes you almost assuredly die.

I wouldn't put the game on the same line as Hatred at all though, really.

When I get the urge to play my old Vice City copy I almost always still end up going to the North Point Mall, picking up the Katana and letting the bodies pile up until the police get me. :unsure:

On the surface, Day Z is a survivalist game against zombies. Some players who have managed to do well have now started to demand new players do insane things in order to survive. Started out by having them dance naked, fight another new player with the survivor joining the clan, etc. As with a lot of things, though, it's gone further.

I think it's important to maintain the same perspective in these games that is required to complete a lot of horror games (Hatred's twist being that you are the horror.) It can seem a bit twisted, but this is junk food gaming. Rockstar's trying to put some sort of soul to it, but I'm of the opinion that they have yet to pull it off. You can't internalize games like these because it can be very detrimental to you and others.

Rockstar's best game to date, in terms of story and character, is easily Red Dead Redemption, which, despite having plenty of gunplay, isn't really comparable to GTA, in my opinion.

Then again, I love the Saints Row games, but they cover the violence with a sheen of absurdity.

• Like 3

But in the end, none of those games revolve around the slaughter of innocent civilians. You can do it in many games, but it's always optional and not part of the plot whatsoever.

Hatred on the other end revolves purely around the slaughter of innocent people for the sake of slaughtering innocent people.

Also apparently to some sources, the developers are right-wing homophobic white supremacists to boot. Not that such news surprises me in any way after their statements, and the trailer of the game itself.

Edited by Jasonmufc

the developers are right-wing homophobic white supremacists to boot..

That just sounds silly. "They were making a baby and I saw the baby and the baby looked at me"

• Like 1

Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that but... well... that dude looks almost exactly like I'd expect a genocide simulator creator and racist dude to look.

• Like 2

It looks like an edgy game for the sake of being edgy, but I'm actually surprised by the backlash so far.

Have hyper realistic character models and responsive AI improved that much that people have developed a stronger moral compass? or is everyone just getting older and getting more wary of their moral responsibility as adults.

And what point is the threshold between good taste and too far? Hotline Miami has edgy senseless violence but because of it's graphical style it's passed over, Tomb Raider has horrific looking deaths but they're few and far between and mostly down to pitfall like hazards, Red Dead Redemption had an achievement for tying someone to the train tracks and splatting them, but that's seen more as overdramatic film violence, then there's games like Sleeping Dogs that let you break the legs of a random pedestrian, bundle them into a car and then drive it into the ocean.

That's the key though, those games simply "let" you do things like that. There's just the choice there to do something like that but it never steers you in that direction.

The entire premise of the game as outlined in the trailer is to simply slaughter as many civilians as possible in a "genocide mission". Sleeping Dogs might be open enough to allow you to do that, but does it tell you to? Like GTA "lets" you shoot at random NPC's, and it doesn't really dwell on it and make a big flashy finishing sequence of it, this game has you place the barrel of a gun in a civilians mouth as they beg for mercy before you kill them.

"This game isn't for everyone"

Well, it certainly isn't for me.

I mean, I can separate gaming from real life so I see their point with that, but as already pointed out, edgy for the sake of being edgy comes to mind.

I have no problem killing people in video games, even though I do generally just kill those that you're meant to kill in GTA, but games get me interested because of characters and the story. "I fucking hate everyone" just doesn't cut it for me.

• Like 4

This game is Hotline Miami minus the story, the cool style and the bright colors.

I'd argue they're two completely different games. Hotline Miami is at its core a puzzle game, everything else is stylised, tacked on and somewhat irrelevant. Sure you kill stuff, but that isn't the hook; it's the hardcore puzzle of how to clear a level without being overwhelmed that's the hook.

This game just has no appeal to me. I don't really like games where it's 'here's a mob of zombies/skeletons/whatever how long can you survive', even when they tack on extra things to concern yourself with it always feels a bit pointless and empty. This looks just like that with overly realistic killing cut scenes as the hook. I can't see it changing my mind on the genre or bringing anything of note to gaming.

I'd imagine it will be really fun for teenagers who want to try and freak out their family, but can't see it having much point beyond that and can't imagine people enjoying it for hours.

• Like 1

It does present a morbid sense of curiosity. I admit, I was impressed in the trailer when the guy got his head blown off with the shotgun, but then again, this is pretty much complete violence only for the sake of violence. I'm not even sure what the story would be, if any, but this just looks like pure, wanton violence for the sake of violence.

But then there's this...

"My name is not important. What is important is what I'm going to do ... I just fuckin' hate this world. And the human worms feasting on its carcass. My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred. And I always wanted to die violently. This is the time of vengeance and no life is worth saving. And I will put in the grave as many as I can. It's time for me to kill. And it's time for me to die. My genocide crusade begins here."

Ah ha ha ha ha no.

This isn't a Doom, or Mortal Kombat, or GTA. This is just...I guess flat out offensive, one of those things that should show that just because something could be done does not mean it should.

I can imagine the FOX headline already.

''Are your kids training for domestic genocide? We speak with video game ''expert'' Bob McBias about this shocking new game that is looking to turn your children into killers. Watch for the full coverage at 8!''

"Also appearing,, Nancy Grace...."

• Like 1