As he can't afford a PS4, Hamster completes the PS3 games that he gave up on in the past

Snappy title.

Thanks to my time at Gamestation with 30% off pre-owned games and then thanks to my time in Japan with very cheap pre-owned games and plenty of curios, I've ended up with a large chunk of PS3 games.

Sadly I'm not very good at finishing them, or at least "getting my money's worth" (i.e. the hundreds of hours I've sunk into Oblivion and Skyrim count very much as money's worth, even though I don't actually care about progressing the story as such).

Anyway, time to right the wrongs and play some of those unloved and forgotten games.

BACK FROM THE DEAD #1: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Reason for shelving: Got bored of it I think, only about 12.5% into the story.

So, I just finished the main storyline mission (I never care about 100%ing something) after playing it over 4 chunks.

I was probably right to leave it in the first place.

You see, the first two Modern Warfares made it big and brought something new. As well as the online modes (which I played a LOAD in 1 and 2), you had the big set-pieces (plane hijacking, the airport terrorism etc etc) and you also had the "OMG" scenes (for me the nuclear bomb exploding in 1 and being on board the space station in 2). They were great. You also had Price who was a great, gruff SAS character who led you around and showed off his manliness in front of you.

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-pc-ps3-xbo

Bang, bang, bang, Soap's been shot. Bang, yawn.

3 still has some decent set pieces and I loved all the ships and submarines in New York harbour for example, as well as running up onto the streets of London, but it felt tired and overwrought. This time around it's trying too hard.

OH NOES! SOAP'S BEEN SHOT AGAIN! MEDIC!

OH LOOK! I'M WAKING UP AFTER SOME KIND OF EXPLOSION!

OH, WE'VE BEEN HIT OUT OF NOWHERE BY A MISSILE AND WE'RE GOING DOWN!

Etc etc etc.

Even Price can't save the day because even he seems annoying.

Perhaps I'm just getting old. Also my tastes have changed a lot over the last few years, but this just isn't fun any more.

Oh, it's cheap too. Enemies keep spawning, FORCING you to push forwards dangerously and probably die because they don't stop spawning until you reach a certain point?! Yawn. That's Uncharted levels of cheap that is, and Uncharted makes me incredibly angry when you hit a big room in a deserted cavern when no-one saw you enter and suddenly they're all there to shoot at you just 'cos.

Le sigh.

• Like 2

My list currently stands at all three Mass Effects, GTA 5 (my brother gave me it when he got his PS3, not touched it yet), Metal Gear, Batman: Arkham City, all the Uncharteds, plus loads of stuff from my shared PS+ account, so Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite etc.

I believe my list of completed PS3 games is about 5, and that includes Walking Dead and the Monkey Island remakes...

Looking at my shelves, full list of games I've not completed or at least not gotten the value out of:

Afrika (gonna be hard as later missions rely on some better kanji understanding than I have).

Beyond: Two Souls

Biohazard 5

Bioshock

Bladestorm - 100 Years War Abandoned forever

Brink

Call of Duty MW3 Finished

Dead Rising 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Dragon Age

Enslaved: Journey to the West

Farcry 2

Farcry 3 Finished

Hitman Absolution (stuck on a mission)

L.A. Noire

Mass Effect 3

Monkey Island 1&2 Finished

Rage

Singularity

Tokyo Jungle

Tomb Raider (not the newer one)

WET (never actually finished it)

Watchdogs

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus (on PS3 at least)

I've not "completed" GTAV, Fallout 3, Skyrim or Oblivion but I've sunk so many hours and so much enjoyment into them that I don't feel I need to.

Oddly, L.A. Noire is one of the few games I have actually finished - really enjoyed the whole vibe of that game.

• Like 1

I sunk a lot of hours into deus ex. Tried the "dont kill anyone dont get caught" route. Got to the end and was told it didnt work because the intro had me shoot some guys.

I would say we have similar sized backlogs, Hammy. I would recommend Enslaved next, if you liked the dynamic of Last of Us. I honestly liked the characters, and was sad to see the game end.

Oddly, L.A. Noire is one of the few games I have actually finished - really enjoyed the whole vibe of that game.

Not me, it didnt grab me like it should have.

I enjoyed L.A.Noire until the point apparently a lot of people lose interest - when it opens out a bit and you're chasing the one guy across town. Strange that.

I played a couple of hours of Enslaved and really liked it. I love Heavenly Sword so it's not surprising.

Be prepared to disappointment in ME3...Dragon Age ended ok for me..but

Dragon Age 2 didn't pickup on the story, and the new one won't either, so its left hanging

LA Noir got boring for me and I never finished it. Watchdogs I have and intend to keep playing at some point, but I don't see the hype behind it and think its rather lackluster