As he can't afford a PS4, Hamster completes the PS3 games that he gave up on in the past

I enjoyed L.A.Noire until the point apparently a lot of people lose interest - when it opens out a bit and you're chasing the one guy across town. Strange that.

Pretty sure I lost interest at the exact same point, actually. I want to get back into it but I also really don't.

Also, the mention of Far Cry 3 reminds me that I really need to get back into that. I played it only a couple of times and then gave up on it. I got it at the same time as I got Hitman: Absolution (Christmas before last) and I sunk all my time into that instead. I played that a fair few times and then completely forgot about Far Cry. I need to get back into that one. I didn't even complete Absolution until a couple of months ago, either. I barely ever finish games, I've come to notice.

I actually finished LA Noire, which is weird for me because I never finish Rockstar games (outside of Red Dead) and I didn't actually like LA Noire much.

I'm not sure I'd ever tell anyone they need to finish it, I think by about halfway you've got everything out of the game there is. Once you're past the gimmicks, you start to realize there's just not much to the game. The story was okay, but it definitely wasn't at the level of Red Dead. The episodic nature of how they told it didn't really help, either. It felt a lot more like a collection of short stories, which made it hard to keep my interest.

The actual gameplay was fine, but you could tell they were fairly limited by the period. There just wasn't much interesting to do...

I appreciate Rockstar games. They always look beautiful and you can tell the team put a lot of effort in the looks of the games. I never really thought GTA 4 looked too nice, though, everything was just... brown? The story mode of that game wasn't great, either. The only Rockstar game I've actually finished, though, is GTA 5. I want to get back into Red Dead and maybe finish that at some point.

Actually, take it back to Hitman. What mission are you stuck on, Hammy? The story mode is quite short, actually, and I found the game much easier than it's predecessors. There are some missions that are tedious and some take extreme patience and/or luck to get through, it can get annoying but I found it less of a struggle than I do from the other Hitman games I've played since (but that might be because I can't cope with the controls). It was the first Hitman game I'd played and the first I'd completed so I do prefer it over the others.

I'm stuck on the level where the gangsters have invaded the hospital / children's home place (I can't remember which any more since I've tried and failed so many times) and you need to get all the fuses together.

I can complete different sections of it as such, but I always end up getting seen or ending up in a gunfight and there are just too many people there if it goes wrong.

I was LOVING it up 'til then though, especially the China Town mission where I posed as a food vendor. I've always enjoyed Hitman games and have finished all the others I've played.

With Hitman, for me my favourite missions have always been in a relatively small space. It's like you plan it, execute it, get out. Even if the area is larger, it's still a smaller "concept" with just the one target or whatever. For example the Mardi Gras level a few games back was amazing with all the NPCs milling around. China Town in this one is very similar.

For the pure smaller levels you've got the mafia bosses mansion last gen (it might have been the Hitman game based around the church which also had the amazing last level when you rise from the "dead"), the house in a suburban street and the apartment in the KL Petronas Tower (Hitman...2?)

The ones that annoy me are the sprawling levels which feel less like an assassination level - like this current one, or the Japanese one in Hitman 2 with castles and ninjas and stuff.

• Like 1

BACK FROM THE DEAD #3: Far Cry 3

Reason for shelving: Bad timing I think. Something else came out and I always lose focus with sandbox games if I start something else.

FarCry3Review-642x362.jpg

If a game has a bow or a silenced sniper rifle I'm happy. This has both.

One of the very best games I've played on the PS3. The antagonists are brilliant, the underlying storyline with your friends and with Citra and the Rakyat is engrossing and increasingly trippy as you go along....A real Heart of Darkness feel. A lot of the missions are very good and there's plenty to do as you wander around. A fantastic world that looks beautiful.

A truly great game.

Finished Amazing Spiderman last night. I could plat it but the point is to get rid of back log.

Tried twisted metal. The part I hate most is that there is zero explanation of even the buttons to use. Zero.

Normally I adore twisted metal, but after like a decade of not playing one some instructions would be nice. I'm playing the version from psn or at least been able to read a book.

I think Dishonored is calling me.

BACK FROM THE DEAD #4: Monkey Island 2

Reason for shelving: The weird extended installation time that seems to happen when you load it up sometimes.

monkey-island-2-lechucks-revenge-special

Hoick. Swish swish. Gurgle. PURRRTOOOIIIEEEE!

Ahhhh. I was born in 1980 and, after a childhood of Amstrads, Spectrums and Commodores I got an Amiga 1200 in the '90s. Cue Monkey Island 1&2, Beneath a Steel Sky, Sensible World of Soccer, Theme Park, Syndicate, Cannon Fodder, Flashback etc etc etc. I got the PS3 Special Edition of 1&2 last year/early this year and it happily sat on my shelf waiting for when I was ready. Having completed number one a number of times but two only once, that was the one I started so that was the one I finished over the last few days.

Still a fantastic game and the graphical update really adds except for some of the movement between screens. I LOVE how you can flick between the original version and updated version at any time with a press of the button though. Great to see the comparisons.

• 2 months later...

I finished Mass Effect! Think it was just the story and wanting to finish it that kept me going at the end, the shooting was iffy and the equipment swapping faffy, plus the horrendous loading times. Trying to decide whether to go straight to ME2 or give myself a break and play Tomb Raider, X-Com or GTA5.

Mass Effect 2 is brilliant. I probably prefer it to ME3 for the most part. Also I have an extreme hard on for Jack.

I preferred 2 to 3 also. But I liked the more RPG feel of 1 the most