The FA Cup 2014/15 thread

Lineker

That won't happen. Its DESTINY for Gerrard to win the FA Cup final on his birthday. <_<

Plus we won't be playing on our potato field of a pitch in the replay.

West Brom will be wearing a throwback kit in their Semi Final tie with Leicester. The Baggies will don a replica of the 1968 kit that they wore in the Final against Everton. This will be done as part of Jeff Astle Day. Astle, who scored the only goal in the '68 Final, died of brain injuries linked to heading the heavy footballs used in those days and his family will be starting a foundation in his honour on the day to raise awareness. The kits will be numbered 2 - 11 with the keeper's jersey being blank, as it was on the day.

The FA have also said that to fit in with the kit West Brom won't be allowed to make any substitutions and all players will have to have a couple of fags and an ale at half time.

• Like 1

That won't happen. Its DESTINY for Gerrard to win the FA Cup final on his birthday. <_<

Plus we won't be playing on our potato field of a pitch in the replay.

It's destiny for Gerrard to cost Liverpool the FA Cup on his birthday.

• Like 3

I love Jeff Astle, mainly for Fantasy Football, but what are they raising awareness of? The fact that footballs used to be really heavy?

Concussion awareness in sports and athletes, and they want the game's laws rewritten to outlaw heading in grassroots/amateur/youth football (delete as applicable) I believe.

Yeah there's been some plan for a while about banning heading the ball, aren't FIFA in court over a group of Americans suing them due to concussions? They were talking about limiting under 17s to something like 10 headers a game or something at one stage but it keeps being revised.

Has there been a massive link to other players being brain damaged from heading the ball? I can see the logic behind the argument but Astle seems the exception to the norm from that era or did I just miss the large number of old players suffering severe brain damage and early deaths?

I think a lot of players from the very very early days suffered neck problems etc, but looking at the balls they used it's no wonder. I'd like to see some studies based on the 70s and later, I find it hard to believe the number of headers would be an issue. One unlucky one could probably do horrendous damage, but consecutive headers done right?

• 2 weeks later...