Random Music Thoughts

VerbalPuke

Agreed, George's solo stuff is my favorite of the four. People look at me weird when I say that and I don't know why, George Harrison was awesome.

By the way, do you guys have any groups that you regret not checking out sooner? It can be something that you didn't even know about and think "Where has this band been all my life?". But specifically, I'm more curious about bands that you knew about, were told to check out but never, and then you finally did and wondered "Why didn't I check them out sooner?".

I posted in the What Are You Listening to thread about T-Rex, and man, they were really good. I can see why they were a big part of the glam boom in the early 70s, and why they influenced the punk scene so much. Maybe not quite on par with David Bowie (but I mean...it's Bowie), but they were fucking excellent. My dad and friend suggested that I should check them out and I just never did. I did recently and man, they were fucking brilliant. Marc Bolan was a great guitar player, not like in the way of Hendrix, but more like if you appreciate guys like Mick Ronson or Steve Jones, a Les Paul player that was tight and wrote killer riffs. I've really been digging their work recently, sad that Bolan died so young. I think their most recognizable songs would be Get It On (ya know....get it on....get it on...bang a gong...get it on) and 20th Century Boy.

Agreed, George's solo stuff is my favorite of the four People look at me weird when I say that and I don't know why, George Harrison was awesome.

I've heard a few of his solo songs and based off what I heard despite being on per, if not slightly ahead of Lennon and McCartney as a complete musician, he still seems to linger in the huge shadows they cast. Once I'm done with Ringo Ill be obtaining what I can of his discography and giving him a proper listen.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, sorry, didn't realize we had to rank musicians based on how influential they are. I guess you must love old spirituals then, right? Because they influenced blues which influenced r&b which influenced rock'n'roll which the Beatles played so obviously that means you appreciate negro spirituals more than the Beatles, right?

Or is there some other criteria by which to appreciate music?

• Like 3

It is a dumb opinion to have regardless. I know lots of metal fans who have no idea who paved the way for Linkin Park or who created the genre. Knowledge of musical roots isn't exclusive to one genre or another. Lots of people listen to the worst EDM music available and have no intention of researching the artists who originated the genre.

• Like 4

What are their names? Spotify has 2 albums called Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy on it

• Like 1