Random Music Thoughts

VerbalPuke

Discogs is a bit cumbersome, but attempts to basically sort of compile every single release by artists, including any b-stars or bonus tracks. They may have demos, but I don't think they do.

• Like 1

I wont say it.

Yes I will.

allmusic.com

But seriously, it should work for your purposes though Benji. If you click on "Discographies" for a band there is a section for compilations and singles which is where you should be able to find the demos/live performances etc.

If you need to dig deeper, go with what RPS said, discogs. I love Discogs by the way, the best source for vinyl on the internet man. Way better than gemm, better selection and prices. Though amazon is pretty bad ass as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is there music that you feel embarrassed when you hear it? Not like a guilty pleasure, but just cringe worthy shit. I hate hair metal, that fucking big haired glam crap from the 80s like Whitesnake, Quiet Riot, Skid Row, Ratt...just the most ridiculous music ever, except for maybe bro country. 

Evenesence or however the fuck it is spelled, they are awful. 

Rage Against the Machine was one of my favorite bands in middle school. Now that I am an adult I realize that they are really fucking mediocre. First thing, Tom Morello is a very innovative guitar player, fairplay to him that he has a very unique sound and carved out a cool niche on his own. I'd like to hear him get together with Les Claypool, that would be a good match.  But the rest of the band? The fucking drummer is the most bland, boring drummer I've ever heard. I can't figure it out, but I really hate the drumming in this band. By proxy the bass player is boring as shit. Zack De Locha's pseudo rapping bullshit is....CRINGE WORTHY. 

Eat this one. 

Jimi Hendrix fucking kicks ass. He fucking rules. 

He wrote these really killer rock and roll songs right? Had this great guitar tone, really a pioneer (duh) in guitar rock, and deserves all the accolades thrown his way. Yeah, Hendrix is one of my all-time favorite guys that rocked. 

• Like 1

Is there a way to install older app versions on a Apple device? I know on Android you just get the last working version for your device but the Apple store just tells you your device is outdated. Would really love to have Spotify on my 64 GB iPod rather than my 3 GB phone.

Biffy Clyro have a new album out on Friday and I've seen fuck all press about it, other than Zane Lowe blowing his wad (but that man blows his wad at the thought of breathing oxygen). Doesn't help their singles so far sound quite neutered, but I'm surprised they haven't been plastered all over the usual popular music publications/PR rags.

1 hour ago, GA! said:

Biffy Clyro have a new album out on Friday and I've seen fuck all press about it, other than Zane Lowe blowing his wad (but that man blows his wad at the thought of breathing oxygen). Doesn't help their singles so far sound quite neutered, but I'm surprised they haven't been plastered all over the usual popular music publications/PR rags.

Make a thread for it when it's out! I want to see the music forum more active again and talking about albums and changes in how bands sound is interesting (and I don't even like Biffy >_> ).

1 hour ago, GA! said:

Front of Kerrang this week, would expect there to be numerous papers rushing to get out reviews this week,  I think the otherside of it is that they don't have a huge arena tour to promote just yet.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Front of Kerrang this week, would expect there to be numerous papers rushing to get out reviews this week,  I think the otherside of it is that they don't have a huge arena tour to promote just yet.

Fair enough. And I take it they can't announce an arena tour yet because of Reading/Leeds?

Plus, with @Benji pointing out Billy Talent, maybe it's clear I'm out of the loop these days. I had no idea until the other day they've got a new album and a UK tour coming up.

We're both out of the loop, I only just found out via Wiki. I'm an old man at this point and largely listen the bands I grew up with.

That 365 albums in 365 days thing was designed to get me back in the loop but it became a nightmare because I really struggle to enjoy new music as easy as I used to, and when I found an album I liked I didn't get the chance to love it because I'd spend an hour a day listening to another album when usually I'd be giving that one album several listens to develop some real loves.

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

We're both out of the loop, I only just found out via Wiki. I'm an old man at this point and largely listen the bands I grew up with.

That 365 albums in 365 days thing was designed to get me back in the loop but it became a nightmare because I really struggle to enjoy new music as easy as I used to, and when I found an album I liked I didn't get the chance to love it because I'd spend an hour a day listening to another album when usually I'd be giving that one album several listens to develop some real loves.

I am listening to loads of new stuff at the minute, because I felt this way, but the issue I have is I am actively searching out new bands and then don't hear when a band I like releases music which I may like, I am damned if I do and damned if I don't haha