Random Music Thoughts

VerbalPuke

So I did this in the wrestling forum, why not the music forum? I love music, it's my favorite thing ever. I think we could use one of these for our random music thoughts ya know? This is good for just encompassing some of them thoughts we have regarding music. Ya know, you got a lot on your mind regarding music. It's like you want to talk about heavy metal, but you also thought about some cool outlaw country, but at the same you are digging Muddy Waters.

Anyway...

I think Tom Petty was a great song writer. He might be the ugliest man in all of rock and roll, but that guy could write a good fucking song. He's never going to be one of my all-time favorites, but as far as "Dude who is on the radio that I don't mind hearing, and might even turn the song up", he's up there for me. I think he wrote some pretty good stuff. I mean yeah, he did have some cheesy 70s poop rock like Don't Do me Like that, but Running Down a Dream and Mary Jane are really cool songs, and I think he deserves some credit. I'm not sure where I rank him at all, as a guitar player or song writer. I know that he writes catchy tunes, and I think he does very good with what he does. Does that make sense? Probably not. Go Tom Petty.

ZZ Top is an amazing rock band. I love ZZ Top, another band that I don't cite as an all-time favorite, but those cats could fucking rock. They were my first concert, and remain as one of the best live performances I have ever seen. They got pretty stupid in the 80s with shit like Legs, but I mean Tres Hombres is a fucking rocking album man.

Prog rock is so hit and miss. I love Gentle Giant, they are great. But sometimes prog rock is so fucking boring. It's like, Prog Rock when it's fast and upbeat is really killer, but when it's slow and experimental, it sucks. It's like my old man says, Jethro Tull had some great tunes, but there is a reason people called them Jethro Dull.

Punk rock. You guys already know what I think, it's my favorite. I see it for more than fast, three chord rock. I'll elaborate on this another day, because I've done it before, but it's my shit.

• Like 1

Speaking of rock music, I believe in rockism.

Also, I have really found a new love for jazz in Stan Kenton. His ideas and compositions are really amazing. For anyone interested in hearing how progressive music sounded just after WWII, look up the "City of Glass" EP. It is representative of progressive jazz but is also an early concrete Third stream recording so you can go both ways after that. Generally, I am really on a jazz kick lately.

Finally, with all due respect VP, I disagree with you on progressive rock. But I guess that is just a matter of taste and preferences.

Well, I admit my wording was poor due to beer. Maybe I can clarify, I'm assuming you disagree on the part about me saying the slow/experimental parts suck? Yeah, that was a harsh description from me.

I guesa for example, the Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed has some great moments but there are part that are just these long flutey, orchestral sounding deals that go on too long for me. I really should have said that some bands went on a bit too long without doing anything that grabbed me. I like stuff with a slowed pace, and stuff that was out of the ordinary.

I am interested in the jazz fellow you mentioned, I'd like to check that out. I like some jazz, but honestly, outside of some John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins, I don't know a whole lot.

I am interested in the jazz fellow you mentioned, I'd like to check that out. I like some jazz, but honestly, outside of some John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins, I don't know a whole lot.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Stan Kenton can be very daunting to someone who is not used to it but if you know a bit Coltrane, it should not be too challenging. I have only heard Stan Kenton Presents and City of Glass but I can highly recommend those.

I still haven't got around to listening to the new Foo Fighters album in full but none of the songs I've heard have struck me as "wow i really like that", something from nothing and congregation have grown on me but there's no Rope, Arlandria or Walk thus far. I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest. And i think the whole "each song is influenced by a different city and music scene" is a bit exaggerated, I mean yeah I wasn't expecting them to record a blues song, a punk song, a grunge song etc but i thought there'd be a more noticeable influence on the songs

I still haven't got around to listening to the new Foo Fighters album in full but none of the songs I've heard have struck me as "wow i really like that", something from nothing and congregation have grown on me but there's no Rope, Arlandria or Walk thus far. I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest. And i think the whole "each song is influenced by a different city and music scene" is a bit exaggerated, I mean yeah I wasn't expecting them to record a blues song, a punk song, a grunge song etc but i thought there'd be a more noticeable influence on the songs

The album is average and standard Foos, but 'Subterranean' is fantastic. They're are at their best when they either write shorter songs, or somewhat downtempo ones, with that song being the latter.

It's weird how my musical tastes have evolved. I can pin point how it all happened, but getting into the most basic details would be getting a bit crazy.

But honestly, some of it has come full circle, as I've grown older I've come to appreciate shit I liked as a kid more now as an adult. Here...let me try to explain.

I started off listening to shitty poppy hip hop shit as a nine year old, whatever.

Then one day I heard Iron Man on the radio. Then I heard Iron Man again on Beavis and Butthead and I realized how fucking cool it was. I asked my old man about that song and he told it was Black Sabbath, from their album Paranoid. So I says "Hey dad, I'd like that album" and he says "I had that album as a 12 year old myself" and I took that as the green light. My mom took me to this record store and I found a CD copy of Paranoid for eight dollars. I still have that CD by the way. I have had that CD for twenty years, and I bought it used, that's so cool.

I gained this affinity for classic rock, I became a huge fan of the Doors because my brother had the Best of the Doors. I was checking out classic rock, and at the time I only knew Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper, because they were weird and heavy, like me, except I wasn't heavy. I bet he liked the Doors because he got stoned with some burnouts (he was a jock, he will pretend he was cool with everybody, but he was a fucking jock. He beat the fucking shit out of me once because I bought combat boots) and decided they were cool. I listened to his CD and I liked it. So then I saw the Dazed and Confused movie, loved the sound track. It was rad, I got the sound track and expanded my horizons. I also started digging on alternative rock and grunge, the SMashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, green Day, that sort of shit, and dug that too.

My hands hurt from typing, I probably have arthritis. I'll talk more later.

• 2 weeks later...

Just listen to a bunch of punk albums. Most of those clock in under 30 minutes. Descendent's Milo Goes to College, Sleater Kinney Dig Me Out or All Hands on the Bad One, Bad Brain's I Against I, Black Flag Damaged, the first four Ramones albums, Bikini Kill Pussy Whipped, The Clash's Give Em Enough Rope and Self Titled Album....

• Like 1

While we're talking about punk, I love the Dead Kennedys, but man - I do not want to see Jello parading around with a bunch of dudes singing DK songs. It's just not the same. I like his spoken word stuff, though. I would go see that live any day of the week. Or any of his numerous side projects. But don't tour with random guys pretending to be the Dead Kennedys. It just sullies the name and what little of a legacy is left.

Of course, now that I actually Google the subject - I can't find anything that says Jello is touring with a new version of the Dead Kennedys. But I'm positive he is/has. And I'm not thinking about the Skip led DK, either. Maybe I dreamt it, but still. It applies both ways.

Is Skip a good replacement for Jello? He looks the part of Crazy Eyed Jello, anyway.

I don't think I have ever heard Jello touring with a new version of the Dead Kennedys. He has always been very against that sort of thing. He's probably played DK songs live with his random side projects.

Can someone suggest some albums under 30 minutes? I'm not behind on my 365 listening, but I missed most days last week and just want some quick hits to try and get me back into the flow. Thanks.

Not quite under 30 minutes but both Death From Above 1979 albums are only 35 minutes.

While we're talking about punk, I love the Dead Kennedys, but man - I do not want to see Jello parading around with a bunch of dudes singing DK songs. It's just not the same. I like his spoken word stuff, though. I would go see that live any day of the week. Or any of his numerous side projects. But don't tour with random guys pretending to be the Dead Kennedys. It just sullies the name and what little of a legacy is left.

Of course, now that I actually Google the subject - I can't find anything that says Jello is touring with a new version of the Dead Kennedys. But I'm positive he is/has. And I'm not thinking about the Skip led DK, either. Maybe I dreamt it, but still. It applies both ways.

Is Skip a good replacement for Jello? He looks the part of Crazy Eyed Jello, anyway.

Hes not. He has collaborated with a ton.of bands, but never reformed DK. The other guys carry on the DK legacy. There was a huge lawsuit between the DKs and Jello, and I'm not sure anybody knows who is really at fault. I know Jello lost, lost ownership of his own songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even pretend to be a huge Beatles fan because frankly I'm not, I respect what they did and innovative it was for their time but the band just was never my "cup of tea" outside of a few songs.

I'm listening to Ringo Starr's lo albums in chronological order and I have to say, I'm just getting into Ringo but I have to applaud his first two effort in dribbling in the blues/lounge in Sentimental Journey and country in Beaucoups of Blues. A British man doing country in my opinion would be forced sounding but Ringo pulls it off seamlessly. Honestly if he would have found his niche in country instead of panicking and going back to his pop/rock roots, we'd be asking today who had the better solo career, Paul, John or Ringo.